Atheists...

boagie

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 09:34 am
@Aedes,
Aedes,Smile

I do not disrespect people, I disrepect ideas, as people disrespect mine. Please be precise, or a least give some examples of just what in the way of terms used are unacceptiable. Again, I do not respect many of these ideas and if I must to be here, then I shall not be here. Personally I believe that organized religion is a form of group insanity, but do what you will, I am finished with this dialogue--the self-righteousness is overwhelming.

Is the system going to flatten you out and deny you your humanity, or are you going to be able to make use of the system to the attainment of human purposes?
Joseph Campbell
0 Replies

boagie

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 12:54 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Again, Boagie, I implore you to make a distinction between respect for ideas and respect for people. This is what the phrase "respectful disagreement" implies. Be sure not to blur the boundaries between the two.

Oh, and I am only in this forum in my capacity as a moderator. I'm not making a case for or against atheism. I'm just trying to make sure the discussion has an appropriate tone. People who are above the age designated for this forum should not be participating -- that's what it's for.

Aedes,Smile

No, I did not think you were taking sides on the issue, a least not blatantly. As far as compliance reguarding this young peoples forum is concerned, sure I wondered myself when first encountering it why it was full of the seasoned. Again what does this respectful disagreement look like, if I was not respectful I would be calling people names. Again what terms of expression are being protested here. Imaginary friends, is that it? If it is not then please post a list of these disrespectful terms so that all might be prewarned.

George Lakoff tells how conservatives use language to dominate politics

Framing the questions and metaphor, sometimes the questions are framed for a particular outcome.

Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
Joseph Campbell
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 01:34 pm
@SantaMonica1369,
No need to be hypersensitive about it. Just put yourself in the position of those you're addressing and ask yourself if terms like 'ridiculous' and 'group insanity' are labels you'd accept as respectful discourse about your views and practices.
boagie

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 02:01 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
No need to be hypersensitive about it. Just put yourself in the position of those you're addressing and ask yourself if terms like 'ridiculous' and 'group insanity' are labels you'd accept as respectful discourse about your views and practices.

Aedes,Smile

I am not the one making the unfounded proclamations, if they wish to assert a particular proclamation is not absurd, let them establish a foundation for belief of said proclamation. Who are the ones being hypersensitive here. Yes I believe, that belief in a fairy godfather is ridiculous and even quite insane, and I do not care who is offended by that statement. You just ain't gonn'a get politically correct from me Aedes, so, call a town meeting, and decide what is to be done about it.
Aedes

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 02:17 pm
@boagie,
boagie;47658 wrote:
call a town meeting, and decide what is to be done about it.
Already done. For one, this thread doesn't belong in the young philosophers' section because very few young people are participating. Number two, the thread has gone through all manners of tangents, circumlocution, parrying, thrusting, and posturing. There's not much more to be gained from it.

Number three, no one is asking you to apologize for your beliefs. Just to exact a little bit of self-censorship so that you come across as the nice guy we all know you to be. Believe me, you'll foster more interesting, more rewarding, and more productive conversations that way and we'll all get more out of it.
0 Replies