Sex in the West

patiodog

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 04:30 pm
Ah, so it was you!

(Seriously, you folks have to do something to keep up with growth out there. Look what's happened to California.)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 04:34 pm
Hey, I'm all for mass transit. Take Metro to and from work, ride the bus downtown, &c. &c. Even voted for the Light Rail (several times). Always thought, though, that the Monorail was some kind of weird cult belief, largely created by people who grew up here and have fond memories of the World's Fair. Did you ever meet any of those people? They give new meaning to the word "messianic." No lie!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 04:44 pm
They've got 'em in Japan and they work just fine.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 04:49 pm
Well, they have light rail in Portland, and we can't seem to get our act together on that, either...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 04:52 pm
Ah, you poor, soggy folks. (Actually, looking at Seattle's history, I think it's bound to always foul up public works. But at least the tide chart isn't posted by the toilet any more!)
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 04:58 pm
We even have light rail in Denver! Shocked
Sigh. its grey and drizzly today. I have such fond memories of standing in such waiting for the #48 to Ballard, where I could transfer to the #15 to the Dojo. Two hours of sweat and effort, then that horribly unhealthy fast-food Chinese food from the Deli section at Safeway, and the Bus back home. Smile
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 05:02 pm
Well, Seattle does have those cool electric buses, but they've been here for decades. And, oh yeah, the waterfront trolley. Now there's a public works success story!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 05:03 pm
And now, for something entirely different:

The Gentle Tamers: Women of the Old Wild West, Dee Brown, University of Nebraska Press, 2003

The Life of an Ordinary Woman, Anne Ellis, Houghton-Mifflin, 1929

No Life for a Lady, Alice Mo Cleaveland, edited by Edward Borein, University of Nebraska Press, 2003

I doubt that you'll get anything about sex in these works, but it might help to balance the image of dance hall girls . . .
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 05:04 pm
My favourite old west hooker name: "Squirrel toothed Alice." Shocked
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 05:05 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
. And, oh yeah, the waterfront trolley. Now there's a public works success story!
Does anyone actually ride that thing?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 05:10 pm
Actually, I do from time to time. I work right near the southern terminus. If I want to travel to the Market or Belltown, it's not a bad way to go. It's also ridden by groups of day-care kiddies. And, of course, tourists...

[Not sure what this has to do with Sex in the West, of course, but lately I have more expertise in mass transit than in the juicier topic.]
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 05:15 pm
Hmmmsex in the west....hmmm ( frantically digging for the subject..) Well, the dancers at the Deja Vu and New Players Clubs in Tacoma were some of the best looking Army wives it was ever my pleasure to treat for pelvic and abdominal pain in the ED at Madigan. Confused
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 05:20 pm
I should post the cartoon in today's P-I, but I think it's highly unfair to two losing incumbents in this week's City Council elections. Depicts 'em, both young women, dancing topless at the club they became notorious for accepting political donations from...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 07:54 pm
Lusty Lady, I'm assuming...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 08:02 pm
Would that be this?Rick's Political Cabaret
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 08:18 pm
Try finding information about the traveling road show that accompanied the builders of the continental railroad. Hell on Wheels.

much choochie choochie
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 08:37 pm
Not too terribly long ago I came upon a copy of Storyville, New Orleans: Being an Authentic Illustrated Account of the Notorious Red-Light District by Al Rose. Real (ahem) 'eye-opening' reading. Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 08:52 pm
There are gorgeous old photos taken in Storyville by (forget name, dang it.)
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 08:56 pm
There is a collection of photos somewhere. I saw it in the Elliot Bay Bookstore about six years ago and didn't buy it, and now I will probably never find it again. Sad
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 09:10 pm
I placed this photo in the "Can We Talk?" thread, but now that I think about it, perhaps this would be a more appropriate thread. Hell, we can use it on both threads -- a sort of multi-purpose photo.

Maybe I've stumbled across a revolutionary posting method at A2K. Maybe, just maybe, I'll be called a trend-setter. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

And now, on to the photo....

http://www.canyoncountryzephyr.com/herb/black-and-white/woman-under-horse.jpg
0 Replies