Sex in the West

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 09:19 am
Well, this is a rather sensational title, n'est-ce pas? I don't mean sex in Tinseltown or Orange County (LOL!!) but sex in the wild west as well as sex in earlier historical periods.

The other day, I was thinking of women in the old west and I thought of the image (I use that word because I ask is it real?) of dance hall girls and prostitutes that were first and foremost in the minds of novelists and movie script writers. Coming from a Roman Catholic background, in which sex was allowable (yes, that is the word) during the 50s in marriage only for procreation, I sometimes think of that much of the world viewed sex as only allowable for procreation. Any way, if there were so many saloon girls and prostitutes, it is obvious that the settlers of the West jettisoned the notion of procreation in favor of recreation.

So the question becomes, was there that much prostitution? What did prostitution consist of? This is not a naive question because here I take my cue from Brenda Maddox's bio of Nora Barnicle Joyce in which Maddox writes that women of the late 19th and early 20th century would sometimes relieve their beaus manually into their hankies on walks, which is why in New England, Scotland, Wales and perhaps other places as well, the custom of bundling was considered morally superior to allowing an interested pair to "walk out." Maddox also asked the question of whether the Joyces used anal sex for birth control. That written, did prostitutes engage in full intercourse? Did they use herbal abortafacients (see the book Eve's Herbs) or crude pessaries or did they rely on douching or coitus interruptus? Did they engage in anal intercourse or manual or oral gratification? What was the pregnancy rate among prostitutes?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,642 • Replies: 53
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 09:39 am
Soiled Doves: Prostitution in the Early West by Anne Seagraves.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 10:29 am
Also, see Anne Butler, Daughters of Joy, Sisters of Misery: Prostitution in the American West, 1865-1890. Chicago, University of Illinois Press, 1973 (Reprinted 1990).
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 12:29 pm
And if you're ever out in Seattle, take the Underground tour and hear a bit about the city's "seamstresses." (Prolly not as informative as the aforementioned texts, but the only entertaining guided tour I've ever been on.)
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 12:34 pm
patiodog wrote:
And if you're ever out in Seattle, take the Underground tour and hear a bit about the city's "seamstresses." (Prolly not as informative as the aforementioned texts, but the only entertaining guided tour I've ever been on.)

To quote Terry Pratchett:
The Seamstress Guild of Ankh Morpork: 2000 seamstresses, one needle. Wink
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 01:36 pm
Hobit, I loooooove Terry Prachett.

I remember watching a documentary about the Klondike Trail, way way up in the North West Territories.
In order to get there you had to walk hundreds of miles and climb up and over steep mountains, mostly done in the dead of winter. Few people made it, even fewer made it rich from gold, but every prosititue that made the hike left very well off indeed.
Ceili
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 02:07 pm
Patiaodog, I have to admit that in 5 years of living in Seattle, I never went on the underground tour (didn't go up the Space Noodle either, for that matter), but I do find the political and social history of the Seattle/Tacoma area fascinating! You have to love the Wobblies!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 02:33 pm
Absolutely. You really did miss something on the underground tour -- if for no other reason than to see what's underneath the streets. You know those patches of sidewalk with the stained glass in them? It's verra weird being underneath.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 02:38 pm
Pioneer Square has some buildings with little plaques indicating their origins as houses of ill repute. And a building still teetering across the street from Zeitgeist Coffee (my fave) had wallpaper you could see from that era. It was one of those places, too. One of the baristas pointed it out to me after the Nisqually Quake.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 02:43 pm
Where is Zeitgeist? I hung out more on Capitol Hill, at Bauhaus! Angst, smoke, and pretentiousness galore!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 02:46 pm
Spent my time at the Tin Hat. More hipster that histor(y).
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 02:54 pm
Zeitgeist is in Pioneer Square. Washington Street, if memory serves, and on Second Ave. Just south of the fire station down there...

Bauhaus looks like a happenin' place; where's Tin Hat, patiodog?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 03:00 pm
It's a bar in Ballard, up on 65th street. Good box, I thought. Friend of mine got barred after a long dispute with ownership re pinball machine, though. Nothing to do with sex in the west, though.

There was an old brothel (well, now it's a breakfast place that looks like a roadhouse). I don't know any specifics of its history, though. On the branch road to the prison, oddly enough...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 03:04 pm
Ahhh...Ballard. Home of large cars driven by short old ladies! Very Happy One of the best Karate Dojo in the world is there, just across from the QFC. I acquired many a bruise in Ballard. You guys are making me really "homesick!"
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 03:09 pm
Er, large cars driven by skinny tattooed 23-year-olds...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 03:16 pm
Very Happy Make that chubby tattooed 30 yr olds!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 03:20 pm
(don't you talk about leon berman that way...)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 03:46 pm
Yeah, Ballard is becoming (has become) hip. And just wait until they start up the monorail. Crown Hill to West Seattle. Boy howdy!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 03:47 pm
wait, and wait, and wait...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 03:51 pm
Well, I voted against it every time it was up for a vote. I think it will be a tremendous boondoggle--and it's already in trouble. I love it!
0 Replies