Obama permits off-shore oil drilling

kennethamy

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 05:25 am
@wayne,
wayne;156014 wrote:
That's a distortion, America has long used a disproportionate share of the world's oil.

That is true. And we have also created a disproportionate share of the world's wealth and good life. Without the United States, where would the antibiotics have come from. Or the polio vaccine? Or the new cancer drugs. (All of which could not be made without oil).
wayne

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 05:30 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;156019 wrote:
That is true. And we have also created a disproportionate share of the world's wealth and good life. Without the United States, where would the antibiotics have come from. Or the polio vaccine? Or the new cancer drugs. (All of which could not be made without oil).

True indeed, I know we are stuck with oil for the time being, but I don't really see much attempt at reducing personal dependence by the general public. Are we just gonna go on like this to the bitter end, it seems that way.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 05:36 am
@wayne,
wayne;156021 wrote:
True indeed, I know we are stuck with oil for the time being, but I don't really see much attempt at reducing personal dependence by the general public. Are we just gonna go on like this to the bitter end, it seems that way.

I would not call the discovery and creation of new antibiotics, and new drugs against cancer, "being stuck". I would use that term if we could not eradicate or ameliorate disease and pain. "The bitter end" would be if we had deadly epidemics with no means to combat them. That end (like the bubonic plague) really would be bitter. Doesn't it seem justified for us to use a disproportionate share of the world's oil if we produce a disproportionate share of the world's good and services? It seems so to me.
wayne

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 05:47 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;156022 wrote:
I would not call the discovery and creation of new antibiotics, and new drugs against cancer, "being stuck". I would use that term if we could not eradicate or ameliorate disease and pain. "The bitter end" would be if we had deadly epidemics with no means to combat them. That end (like the bubonic plague) really would be bitter. Doesn't it seem justified for us to use a disproportionate share of the world's oil if we produce a disproportionate share of the world's good and services? It seems so to me.

Something about that just doesn't sound right. I don't think the amount of petroleum product used to find cures is even close to comparable to our over use in other areas. I am not an opponent of wise use of resources. However, this country long ago developed a lifestyle that is unsustainable in a global world. We can't blame 3rd world nations for wanting it too, it's just that we're gonna need about 4 more planets.

Don't we have some responsibility to lead the way? I'm not seeing anyone making any sacrifices yet.

Don't you think we might have found some cures without oil ,if we had none? What about all the cures that come from rain forests?
Khethil

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 06:17 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;146721 wrote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Reversing a ban on oil drilling off most U.S. shores, President Barack Obama on Wednesday announced an expansive new policy that could put new oil and natural gas platforms in waters along the southern Atlantic coastline, the eastern Gulf of Mexico and part of Alaska.

A welcome and astonishing decision. It makes me rethink my view about Obama.

I wasn't surprised. Disappointed, yes; but I think there's a reality to our addiction that underlies the *EXTREME* pain this kick-the-habit endeavor brings. It's like many other things Obama's To-Do list: Do what must be done, and you'll bring so much pain that no one will applaud the achievement - you'll be hated and besmirched and every corporate entity, every citizen made uncomfortable, will rail and whine and gripe till you're tossed out. We're such a short-sighted bunch of people. This is just my personal opinion on many of the issues he's encountered. In any case...

As far as breaking this habit goes: It's been a long unproductive road. We take 1 step forward and two steps back and that's been happening since the early 70's.[INDENT]"Let this be our national goal: At the end of this decade, in the year 1980, the United States will not be dependent on any other country for the energy we need to provide our jobs, to heat our homes, and to keep our transportation moving." (Excerpted from) (Full Address)
[/INDENT]Of course that didn't last; and a ping-pong effect has been in play every since with one of the most devastating being the actions Reagan took almost immediately upon assuming office: His citizens wanted cheap oil and none of the pesky price controls that might have motivated (monetarily) efforts to develop cheaper energy alternatives, he gave it to them. As a side, note, I really liked Reagan. I think his leadership in many areas was badly needed and well received. I voted for him quite proudly - but he and I differ in this respect.

So Obama doing this doesn't surprise me. I haven't enough information on the situation as a whole to judge 'warranted' or not (I'd need to know all the dynamics at play to rightfully judge the necessity). And no, I don't like it either.

Thanks
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 08:00 am
@wayne,
wayne;156023 wrote:
Something about that just doesn't sound right. I don't think the amount of petroleum product used to find cures is even close to comparable to our over use in other areas. I am not an opponent of wise use of resources. However, this country long ago developed a lifestyle that is unsustainable in a global world. We can't blame 3rd world nations for wanting it too, it's just that we're gonna need about 4 more planets.

Don't we have some responsibility to lead the way? I'm not seeing anyone making any sacrifices yet.

Don't you think we might have found some cures without oil ,if we had none? What about all the cures that come from rain forests?

I did not say that petroleum was used to find cures. I said it was used to make antibiotics and vaccines, and other cures. If you think we an manufacture things we need without oil, you had better hurry up and invent such ways. There are none now.
wayne

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 11:33 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;156043 wrote:
I did not say that petroleum was used to find cures. I said it was used to make antibiotics and vaccines, and other cures. If you think we an manufacture things we need without oil, you had better hurry up and invent such ways. There are none now.

We do use other things, such as sesame oil in the manufacture of vaccines. But that's beside the point, 71 % of our oil consumption is transportation, the statistics for antibiotics and vaccines are so small I can't even find any.

I will repeat, I am not against responsible use of resources.

I said that we can probably find cures w/o petroleum, not that petroleum was used to find cures, although it is.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 11:52 pm
@wayne,
wayne;156280 wrote:
We do use other things, such as sesame oil in the manufacture of vaccines. But that's beside the point, 71 % of our oil consumption is transportation, the statistics for antibiotics and vaccines are so small I can't even find any.

I will repeat, I am not against responsible use of resources.

I said that we can probably find cures w/o petroleum, not that petroleum was used to find cures, although it is.

Not only is oil used in antibiotics, but it is used to manufacture antibiotics, to run the factories which make antibiotics, to get technicians to the factories that make antibiotics, to transport antibiotics to hospitals where they can be used, to make needles to inject the antibiotics, etc. etc. This is a complex society. We cannot, and, of course, will not, return to the Dark Ages. We had better stop complaining and adjust.
wayne

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 12:07 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;156294 wrote:
Not only is oil used in antibiotics, but it is used to manufacture antibiotics, to run the factories which make antibiotics, to get technicians to the factories that make antibiotics, to transport antibiotics to hospitals where they can be used, to make needles to inject the antibiotics, etc. etc. This is a complex society. We cannot, and, of course, will not, return to the Dark Ages. We had better stop complaining and adjust.

Adjust is the proper term, I think. Just how are we going to adjust our consumption ? I have seen little in the way of effective adjustment since the shortages of the 70's.
Of course petroleum is woven into the fabric of our society, no one said we should return to the dark ages.

To adjust by simply drilling for more oil seems very short sighted, and apparently much of the world feels the same, thus the low opinion of U.S. on the world stage.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 07:56 am
@wayne,
wayne;156300 wrote:
Adjust is the proper term, I think. Just how are we going to adjust our consumption ? I have seen little in the way of effective adjustment since the shortages of the 70's.
Of course petroleum is woven into the fabric of our society, no one said we should return to the dark ages.

To adjust by simply drilling for more oil seems very short sighted, and apparently much of the world feels the same, thus the low opinion of U.S. on the world stage.

I did not mean "adjust our consumption" although I suppose that would be a good thing as far as it were possible. But it is not on the top of my list. Finding and getting oil would be on the top.

I don't think that the world has a low opinion of the United States. Envy is not low opinion.
wayne

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 11:50 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;156389 wrote:
I did not mean "adjust our consumption" although I suppose that would be a good thing as far as it were possible. But it is not on the top of my list. Finding and getting oil would be on the top.

I don't think that the world has a low opinion of the United States. Envy is not low opinion.

Envy is a very dangerous opinion.
kennethamy

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 08:02 am
@wayne,
wayne;156643 wrote:
Envy is a very dangerous opinion.

Maybe, but it indicates a high opinion, not a low opinion.
wayne

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 02:43 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;156707 wrote:
Maybe, but it indicates a high opinion, not a low opinion.

How does it indicate a high opinion? I am not even sure that envy can be qualified as an opinion.
Envy is one of the seven deadly sins isn't it?
Aren't we causing our brother to sin?
Religious or not, I can't see that as a desirable effect.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:39 am
@wayne,
wayne;157008 wrote:
How does it indicate a high opinion? I am not even sure that envy can be qualified as an opinion.
Envy is one of the seven deadly sins isn't it?
Aren't we causing our brother to sin?
Religious or not, I can't see that as a desirable effect.

I did not say it was an opinion. I said it indicated a high opinion. It is not our doing that others envy us. So we cause nothing in that respect. Of course, it does show that those who envy us show good taste. For the United States is enviable. As Madeline Albright (Clinton's former Secretary of State) said, "America is the world's one indispensable nation". So, those who envy us at least show good taste. I can say that much for them.
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 07:22 am
@kennethamy,
You said this...

kennethamy;147297 wrote:
Your post does not answer the question why you think we have the technology you think we need.

Then in the very same post...

kennethamy;147297 wrote:
By the way, we already have the technology to help do what you want, namely nuclear power.

As usual, your argumentative style is bizarre. You just answered your own question. We do have the technology. You just said so yourself. So why did you try to hold someones feet to the fire for a claim you apparently agree with? That's a rhetorical question, by the way. I know why you did it. You're an ass.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 07:39 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;157055 wrote:
You said this...

Then in the very same post...

As usual, your argumentative style is bizarre. You just answered your own question. We do have the technology. You just said so yourself. So why did you try to hold someones feet to the fire for a claim you apparently agree with? That's a rhetorical question, by the way. I know why you did it. You're an ass.

Did your mother never tell you that unless you can say something nice, you should not say it at all? The trouble is that although we do have nuclear power, the environmental extremists are preventing its full scale use, so that it is not a real substitute for oil. You must know that. If the environmentalists could be made to see reason, then, of course, we could do as France and other countries do, things might be better.
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 07:52 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;157064 wrote:
Did your mother never tell you that unless you can say something nice, you should not say it at all? The trouble is that although we do have nuclear power, the environmental extremists are preventing its full scale use, so that it is not a real substitute for oil. You must know that. If the environmentalists could be made to see reason, then, of course, we could do as France and other countries do, things might be better.

That's politics. Your question was about technology.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 07:57 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;157069 wrote:
That's politics. Your question was about technology.

But using nuclear technology is not now a practical proposition as long as Environmentalism is as nutty as it is now, and politicians allow it to hold the sway it now holds. That is why it was gratifying that Obama (of all people) said a little bit of nay to them. Not nearly enough, of course, but a little. And even so, they are fulminating away about it.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 01:38 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;157039 wrote:
I did not say it was an opinion. I said it indicated a high opinion. It is not our doing that others envy us. So we cause nothing in that respect. Of course, it does show that those who envy us show good taste. For the United States is enviable. As Madeline Albright (Clinton's former Secretary of State) said, "America is the world's one indispensable nation". So, those who envy us at least show good taste. I can say that much for them.

I can't really argue with that. I must admit I am glad to be American, although I am still concerned about the danger behind that envy.

By the way, I kind of enjoy warm feet, for the reason stated in my signature. Smile
kennethamy

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 06:59 am
@wayne,
wayne;157444 wrote:
I can't really argue with that. I must admit I am glad to be American, although I am still concerned about the danger behind that envy.

By the way, I kind of enjoy warm feet, for the reason stated in my signature. Smile

although I am still concerned about the danger behind that envy.

Who isn't? That is why we are sacrificing blood and treasure in Afghanistan and in Iraq.