What Is Your Problem With Anarchy?

Doobah47

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 06:09 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
Exactly my point as well. I do not kill because it does not serve me to do so.

To "kill"?

That's serves an anti-anarchic purpose as a singular and deliberate definitive resource. What is killed if I breathe, or eat a mushroom.

Ever seen 'Horton Hears a Who'?
xris

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 04:03 am
@lakeshoredrive,
lakeshoredrive wrote:
I thought I might share this quote to help some of the skeptics of anarchism understand the conditions that describe an anarchist society:

-Lame Deer, Sioux medicine man
so what did the chief do when someone murdered ??? I would like to be given a good example of anarchy in action...Heaven on earth is just as much a dream as heaven itself...
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 08:34 am
@Doobah47,
Doobah47 wrote:
To "kill"?

That's serves an anti-anarchic purpose as a singular and deliberate definitive resource. What is killed if I breathe, or eat a mushroom.

Ever seen 'Horton Hears a Who'?

Huh?

Quote:
so what did the chief do when someone murdered ??? I would like to be given a good example of anarchy in action...Heaven on earth is just as much a dream as heaven itself...

I am not going to equate a modern anarchy with the primitivism of tribal life. The division of labor has become far to complex to be supported in this manner.

No anarchist, however, believes anarchy to be heaven on Earth, rather he or she believes anarchy to be the best solution.

There will be unacceptable behavior within the anarchistic system, this is assured as people are not perfect. But this quote is good in that it reflects the general change in attitude that most anarchists would point to within a true anarchistic system.
xris

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 08:43 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
Huh?

I am not going to equate a modern anarchy with the primitivism of tribal life. The division of labor has become far to complex to be supported in this manner.

No anarchist, however, believes anarchy to be heaven on Earth, rather he or she believes anarchy to be the best solution.

There will be unacceptable behavior within the anarchistic system, this is assured as people are not perfect. But this quote is good in that it reflects the general change in attitude that most anarchists would point to within a true anarchistic system.
i dont expect heaven but i think we should strivefor it..can you give me a reasonable example of an anarchistic society?
Icon

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 08:48 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
i dont expect heaven but i think we should strivefor it..can you give me a reasonable example of an anarchistic society?

One has never existed to my knowledge.

It's funny that you say we should strive for heaven on earth. I strive for perfection in everything that I do but I know better than to expect it to actually happen. Is futility really a method of living successfully?
xris

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 09:02 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:

It's funny that you say we should strive for heaven on earth. I strive for perfection in everything that I do but I know better than to expect it to actually happen. Is futility really a method of living successfully?
What do they say its the journey not the arrival...heaven on earth is impossible but then most dreams are..but should we try?
xris

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 09:06 am
@xris,
For history to have any purpose it must show examples..for anarchy to be convincing it must show examples...
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 09:06 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
I strive for perfection in everything that I do but I know better than to expect it to actually happen. Is futility really a method of living successfully?

I think it is necessary to strive for perfection, because what is the point of shooting at a flawed target.

The closest thing that we have to anarchist societies small towns. While they do have small governments, the people of the community typically police themselves and operate on a day to day level without the need of government. But then these towns are embedded in states and nations so they are not really examples at all but they highlight a point. The only anarchist society that would be possible are on the small scale level.
0 Replies

Joe

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 09:09 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:

As in this WILL work or this will NOT work? of course. but not always. like anything else.

Method is actually closer to results then people admit. Individually and consciously, the methods we use are results defined by the method. Meaning, what seems to work is only because the results are pre-planned and expected. And so usually that comfort, defines or own methods.
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 09:10 am
@xris,
xris wrote:

Anarchism has occurred on small scales around the world in the modern era, and of course there was no such thing as a state for most human existence.

But has anarchism succeeded over a significant period of time on a large scale? No.

This, of course, is no knock on anarchism. Imagine a discussion between political thinkers concerning the feasibility of democracy three or four centuries ago.
xris

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 09:29 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
Anarchism has occurred on small scales around the world in the modern era, and of course there was no such thing as a state for most human existence.

But has anarchism succeeded over a significant period of time on a large scale? No.

This, of course, is no knock on anarchism. Imagine a discussion between political thinkers concerning the feasibility of democracy three or four centuries ago.
I think you will find the ancient greeks invented democracy...many small tribes or villages are democracies in miniature rather than anarchistic.Crap leaders are either slung out or murdered..
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 11:05 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
I think you will find the ancient greeks invented democracy...many small tribes or villages are democracies in miniature rather than anarchistic.Crap leaders are either slung out or murdered..

I am just pointing out that the idea that, because a social structure is rare, typically short-lived, and typically manifested on a small scale, the social structure cannot transcend these limitations, is bogus.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 11:22 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
It seems that social structure by nature was intended to be short lived. They seem like a reaction to crisis, and thus, are only useful as long as they are necessary. After that they become a hindrance.
Icon

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 11:25 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
It seems that social structure by nature was intended to be short lived. They seem like a reaction to crisis, and thus, are only useful as long as they are necessary. After that they become a hindrance.

Which is why anarchy is a good solution. Built out of necessity, maintained as needed.

Anarchy is the Vicodin of Social concepts.
Theaetetus

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 11:30 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
Which is why anarchy is a good solution. Built out of necessity, maintained as needed.

I totally agree. The problem of course is that far too few people are capable of self-legislation. Not to mention, it seems that the introduction of money into a society seems to reduce the possibility of self-governed society. Certain human emotions and vices seem to guarantee that conflict arises when one has what another wants.
xris

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 01:05 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:

Sorry but if you want me to be involved in any experiment of alternative society you have to give examples and give guarantees...this utopia is not defined enough for me to even consider it..
0 Replies

incubusman8

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 08:34 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
:First post Surprised:

The problem with anarchy I believe is that it cannot support our society. People are only as good as the world allows them to be, and in the absense of centralised government, it is impossible to prevent greed and other such basic human qualities from ruling the individual.

If you asked in turn, why society was necessary, then it comes down the simple weighing of benefits versus costs that we inherit from it, and the simple fact of the matter is that society does have its uses. It does have some very substantial benefits. At a basic animalistic level, we survive better in numbers... in communities. If the anarchists objection to the state is based on an ethical defense of his own liberalism, then he has ignored the nature of his own existence. Humans are animals, a sexually reproducing organism that can only exist because their complete self liberalism and individualism are inevitably violated throughout their life as they interact with a mother that raises them and a mate to reproduce with, as do all animals. Yes, communities that are held together by systems and rules violate the individuals' liberty tenfold more, but the anarchist cannot claim that his right to individuality is completely stricken from him by the state. This is simply untrue.
Icon

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 08:18 am
@incubusman8,
incubusman8 wrote:
:First post Surprised:

The problem with anarchy I believe is that it cannot support our society. People are only as good as the world allows them to be, and in the absense of centralised government, it is impossible to prevent greed and other such basic human qualities from ruling the individual.

People are only as good as the world allows them to be. So, in Anarchy, where are the limitations such as state rules preventing certain kids from getting scholarships yet giving away free school to those with darker skin tone or the inability for many to get a job because outsourcing is easier and cheaper? You say that people will be greedy. I say GOOD! The more greedy people are, the more they will have to strive to achieve and the more benefit they will give to the world. Imagine, if you will, all information is open-source, all materials available. You can do anything so long as you have the determination and will power, with no government regulations to stop you. What most people fail to see is that human qualities such as greed and lust become beneficial in a society where you can do anything you want. These attributes of the human condition serve to increase human capability. We view them as bad now because we have no proper way of dealing with them.

Quote:

If you asked in turn, why society was necessary, then it comes down the simple weighing of benefits versus costs that we inherit from it, and the simple fact of the matter is that society does have its uses. It does have some very substantial benefits. At a basic animalistic level, we survive better in numbers... in communities. If the anarchists objection to the state is based on an ethical defense of his own liberalism, then he has ignored the nature of his own existence. Humans are animals, a sexually reproducing organism that can only exist because their complete self liberalism and individualism are inevitably violated throughout their life as they interact with a mother that raises them and a mate to reproduce with, as do all animals. Yes, communities that are held together by systems and rules violate the individuals' liberty tenfold more, but the anarchist cannot claim that his right to individuality is completely stricken from him by the state. This is simply untrue.

If humans are only animals for reproduction then we should go back to the anarchistic nature of... well... nature.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 01:28 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
I totally agree. The problem of course is that far too few people are capable of self-legislation. Not to mention, it seems that the introduction of money into a society seems to reduce the possibility of self-governed society. Certain human emotions and vices seem to guarantee that conflict arises when one has what another wants.

Three things to address here:

1. I am reasonably sure that, while some may still not be able to self-legislate, the vast majority of people would learn quick if the risk assuaging mechanisms of the government were not there to bail them out.

2. Money itself is not an issue, it is simply a service that eases trade.

3. People are predisposed to seek and accept fairness, and under an anarchistic system, people will generally be allowed to choose ahead of transactions what is fair and what is not. We can also see that most would want to completely avoid the reputation of dealing unfairly. This is not to say that conflict and unfair dealings will never happen, only that there is considerable forces against it.
xris

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 02:21 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Well i have not been convinced..it appears a rat race where the biggest rat gets what he wants and the non achiever get sod all..I for one would not could not live in a society where the least is not treated as an equal..