What Is Your Problem With Anarchy?

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 07:56 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Nicodemus,

Now I tend to believe that the aptitude differences between people and attempts to form mutually beneficial groups will negate most of the hierarchy we see under current and past systems, but I do agree that there is a natural hierarchy. In my eyes, people are born morally equal but physically different, and I don't think anyone will challenge that.

If this is the case, however, do you see anything wrong with this sort of hierarchy if those at the upper levels have actually earned it?

Perhaps an interesting essay for our topic:

Egalitarianism as a Revolt Against Nature by Murray N. Rothbard
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 11:51 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
Nicodemus,

Now I tend to believe that the aptitude differences between people and attempts to form mutually beneficial groups will negate most of the hierarchy we see under current and past systems, but I do agree that there is a natural hierarchy. In my eyes, people are born morally equal but physically different, and I don't think anyone will challenge that.
What about those who show a natural prediliction for psychopathic or sociopathic behaviour? Whilst nuture clearly has a large, if not paramount, part to play in the development of people's values some neurologists do point to natural factors as determining such behaviours - so moral differences could certainly be determined by the time someone is born.

This is one reason why I think any project of egalitarianism is niave and impossible. People have different wants and desires, feel about things with differing degrees of passion, look to authority for different things, have varying degrees of respect for laws and traditions, view different freedoms with different degrees of regard.

What makes me happy and secure does not make you happy and secure - some mediation between people is therefore necessary if we aren't to devolve into a state of nature - the law of might makes right.

Thus we have the state to offer a form of compromise - a kind of enforced shared value system. Whilst some may feel irked by the yoke of the state's laws - the majority are offered a degree of security and liberty provided they don't exhibit values too obviously at odds with those of the gestalt.

Historically where states have failed a period of utopian communal cooperation has not been the result.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 12:01 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:
What about those who show a natural prediliction for psychopathic or sociopathic behaviour? Whilst nuture clearly has a large, if not paramount, part to play in the development of people's values some neurologists do point to natural factors as determining such behaviours - so moral differences could certainly be determined by the time someone is born.

This is a principle problem with almost any moral or political system. I hold true to the NAP and think that any behavior that so violates this principle is to be stopped or punished, no matter what the mental state of the individual at fault.

Quote:
This is one reason why I think any project of egalitarianism is niave and impossible. People have different wants and desires, feel about things with differing degrees of passion, look to authority for different things, have varying degrees of respect for laws and traditions, view different freedoms with different degrees of regard.

What makes me happy and secure does not make you happy and secure - some mediation between people is therefore necessary if we aren't to devolve into a state of nature - the law of might makes right.

Thus we have the state to offer a form of compromise - a kind of enforced shared value system. Whilst some may feel irked by the yoke of the state's laws - the majority are offered a degree of security and liberty provided they don't exhibit values too obviously at odds with those of the gestalt.

Historically where states have failed a period of utopian communal cooperation has not been the result.

I agree with all of this. Is there some point you are working towards that you feel I will disagree with?
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 01:11 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
I'm not sure as I don't quite get what you stand for, politically, despite having read the thread. There does seem to be quite a bit of flip-flopping going on ("In my eyes, people are born morally equal but physically different, and I don't think anyone will challenge that." - "I hold true to the NAP and think that any behavior that so violates this principle is to be stopped or punished, no matter what the mental state of the individual at fault."). So it's hard for me to see what exactly is being proposed or argued in favour of.

Whilst you maintain that we did without governments for most of human history you do seem to remark that our 'state of nature' is something to hark back to. It strikes me we probably abandoned our state of nature so that more of us could enjoy greater (as opposed to lesser) freedoms. In the social groups of those apes we have the most in common with the law of might means right is a near be all and end all - those members of a chimp troupe who do not occupy a station of influence are denied rights that relativley powerless humans enjoy (breeding rights, the right to join or leave a community, etc...).

Historical precedent seems to favour tyranny over anarchy - and periods of anarchy seem to breed tyranny rather than freedom. Is there a historical precedent for the system you advocate (bearing in mind that I can't as yet understand why our prehistoric way of life is something I would see as attractive).

But I am perhaps not very appreciative of the ideals of liberty and freedom to view anarchy as anything other than niave. One man's freedom is another's tyranny. You mentioned your freedom of association earlier on - what if I were to find this wrongful discrimination that encroaches on my freedom? It's OK you might say - we can keep to our own communities that can be tailored to our predilictions - but that's not something I want to be a part of - creating monocultures and tribes.

I am actually far happier as part of a varied and pluralistic society and I fail to see how it can be administered without some sort of authority who tend to operate (in my experience) along lines more or less acceptable to the gestalt. The price I pay for that is willing ceasing any behaviour that others might reasonably find obnoxious.

Sorry if this doesn't seem like a decent statement of my position - as I say I'm having trouble understanding quite what's being proposed. I do think it might be nice if we all got on in mutually supportive yet independent locally administered communities, and for people to take ultimate responsibility for themselves - but I also think it would be nice if it only rained when I had my brolly with me too.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 02:20 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:
I'm not sure as I don't quite get what you stand for, politically, despite having read the thread. There does seem to be quite a bit of flip-flopping going on ("In my eyes, people are born morally equal but physically different, and I don't think anyone will challenge that." - "I hold true to the NAP and think that any behavior that so violates this principle is to be stopped or punished, no matter what the mental state of the individual at fault."). So it's hard for me to see what exactly is being proposed or argued in favour of.

I am a left-libertarian anarchist. I can be more specific, but a book would be required to spell out every opinion I possess.

I don't understand your charge of "flip-flopping" however.

Quote:
Whilst you maintain that we did without governments for most of human history you do seem to remark that our 'state of nature' is something to hark back to. It strikes me we probably abandoned our state of nature so that more of us could enjoy greater (as opposed to lesser) freedoms. In the social groups of those apes we have the most in common with the law of might means right is a near be all and end all - those members of a chimp troupe who do not occupy a station of influence are denied rights that relativley powerless humans enjoy (breeding rights, the right to join or leave a community, etc...).

I only bring up our lack of government for most of history to counter the common argument that people naturally prefer to have a state to protect them. We didn't have a government of any sort when protection was at a much higher premium.

As for the state of nature, there is no such thing, really. We are naturally predisposed to social behavior, and any sort of social structure can fit into the state of nature. Where a state of nature might exist is in the natural preferences of humans, but this isn't simply to live out in the wilds of nature.

Now, when you say that might = right, I am inclined only to argue that there really is no way to escape this conclusion. Might will take precedent over right in any time there is a difference, because might is a physical presence in the world. The thing is, however, that pooling might under the banner of the state and denying might to all others, gives unlimited potential for one portion of society to determine what is right. The ultimate goal of the anarchist, and this has been passed through the greats, is to convince the individuals to drop any pretensions of following the good that another has prescribed for them.

" If God, if mankind, as you affirm, have substance enough in themselves to be all in all to themselves, then I feel that I shall still less lack that, and that I shall have no complaint to make of my "emptiness." I am not nothing in the sense of emptiness, but I am the creative nothing, the nothing out of which I myself as creator create everything.
Away, then, with every concern that is not altogether my concern! You think at least the "good cause" must be my concern? What's good, what's bad? Why, I myself am my concern, and I am neither good nor bad. Neither has meaning for me.
The divine is God's concern; the human, man's. My concern is neither the divine nor the human, not the true, good, just, free, etc., but solely what is mine, and it is not a general one, but is -- unique,* as I am unique.
Nothing is more to me than myself!
"

Max Stirner, "All Things Are Nothing To Me", The Ego and Its Own

Quote:
Historical precedent seems to favour tyranny over anarchy - and periods of anarchy seem to breed tyranny rather than freedom. Is there a historical precedent for the system you advocate (bearing in mind that I can't as yet understand why our prehistoric way of life is something I would see as attractive).

I don't propose our prehistoric way of life to be better and there is no historical precedent of what I propose. Either way, I am unconcerned.

Quote:
But I am perhaps not very appreciative of the ideals of liberty and freedom to view anarchy as anything other than niave. One man's freedom is another's tyranny. You mentioned your freedom of association earlier on - what if I were to find this wrongful discrimination that encroaches on my freedom? It's OK you might say - we can keep to our own communities that can be tailored to our predilictions - but that's not something I want to be a part of - creating monocultures and tribes.

I think it would be very rare for any anarchistic society to be built around a "monoculture". People generally accept their silly arbitrary biases up until it becomes inconvenient. The state is the ultimate height of shirking the inconveniences of holding arbitrary and untrue opinions.

Quote:
I am actually far happier as part of a varied and pluralistic society and I fail to see how it can be administered without some sort of authority who tend to operate (in my experience) along lines more or less acceptable to the gestalt. The price I pay for that is willing ceasing any behaviour that others might reasonably find obnoxious.

If you are a tax paying American (many locales are much worse), you are also surrendering about 25% of your life to the state. You have to work to live, you have to pay 40% of your wage to work. So to live you must surrender a good deal of your life as a slave to the state. Do you consider keeping the product of your work to be "obnoxious".

Other than that, how can I show that some common authority is not necessary? I do not wish to dive into this challenge not knowing what your conditions. I especially don't wish to dive in because "unable" most often equates to "unwilling".
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 03:38 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
That does help make things clearer - thank you.

I do, to a degree, regard keeping the results of one's labour to oneself as obnoxious as it would seem to seek to escape social contract. Whilst I would like, in the short term, to spend money I pay on taxes on things for me and mine I also accept that I get certain things for free that I wouldn't receive were it not for state spending.

So I am currently having to spend a longer time saving up for certain luxuries I would want - but at the same time I'm glad I'm not having to pay to consult my doctor about some trifling medical matter, or that I can talk to citizen's advice for free about trouble with my neighbour.

I don't really see myself as a slave of the state - I see myself as a willing participant in a social contract. The state may be getting the better of the deal (it has played this game for a lot longer than I have) but I'm generally pleased with my portion. Sometimes the state does something that I don't feel is really in my name - at other times it delights me with some surprising innovation - c'est la vie!

I accept that people tend to accept their silly arbitrary biases up until it becomes inconvenient - but it's tolerating other's arbitrary biases that seems to spark problems. This would bring me back to my earlier point that one person's freedom is another's tyranny. I'm peculiarly interested in living life how I want to - but I realise my neighbour probably feels likewise. It's not beyond reason that outside arbitration might be called for at some point (unless might = right in which case huzzah!! - my neighbour is a scrawny girl and therefore has to put up with my late-night mandolin practice).

Whether this mediation comes from a village elder or a high court judge doesn't really matter to me. In fact the legal systems has certain advantages in that it has a set precedent and is publicly accountable - it is also a lot less likely to rule against me because I didn't send it a basket of apples last autumn.

Where the rule of might = right applies (as it no doubt currently does in places like Basra and Kabul) I think you do tend to see monocultures develop. The tastes and mores of the mightiest (and their lickspittles) become either en vogue or de rigueur. Large and pluralistic societies offer more in terms of cosmopolitan variety and, problems in regard to integration notwithstanding, opportunities for those within to benefit from or enjoy the epicurean delights on offer.

So common authority strikes me as attractive because it is less strikingly arbitrary or given to corruption (that's not to say it is immune by any means - but the degree to whish it is accountable to press and public is far greater), that it sets a standard of values and communicates them and their vicissitudes and that (in the case of places like the UK and US, I like to hope) it goes to some length to ensure security for minorities and eccentrics who might be regarded as scapegoats or worse in a might = right society.
Icon

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 08:49 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:
That does help make things clearer - thank you.

I do, to a degree, regard keeping the results of one's labour to oneself as obnoxious as it would seem to seek to escape social contract. Whilst I would like, in the short term, to spend money I pay on taxes on things for me and mine I also accept that I get certain things for free that I wouldn't receive were it not for state spending.

So I am currently having to spend a longer time saving up for certain luxuries I would want - but at the same time I'm glad I'm not having to pay to consult my doctor about some trifling medical matter, or that I can talk to citizen's advice for free about trouble with my neighbour.
[/SIZE]

This is a very valid point. Social services which are provided by your government would stop. This means that a great deal of the modern conveniences which you enjoy will no longer be available for free. They would not stop, just not be for free. However, the value of your wok would also increase in the society which we propose because you would set the value of your work rather than having a government or political standard. But you also have to admit that a great deal of these services come down to common sense. Citizen's advice is a consultant for how to get along with your neighbors but does the service truly tell you anything that you could not reason out yourself? These services would be replaced with common sense and communal assistance.

Quote:

I don't really see myself as a slave of the state - I see myself as a willing participant in a social contract. The state may be getting the better of the deal (it has played this game for a lot longer than I have) but I'm generally pleased with my portion. Sometimes the state does something that I don't feel is really in my name - at other times it delights me with some surprising innovation - c'est la vie!
[/SIZE]

Social contract is precisely what we have in mind here. In a true social contract, you choose to follow the laws of the area in which you live. There is another side of that coin however. You choose to live where the laws best suit you. In most of these remarks, you make it seem as if you are trapped in the area which you live and so you must put up with certain things in order to get certain things which you enjoy. What is it that prevents you from finding a better place? Nothing but yourself.

Quote:

I accept that people tend to accept their silly arbitrary biases up until it becomes inconvenient - but it's tolerating other's arbitrary biases that seems to spark problems. This would bring me back to my earlier point that one person's freedom is another's tyranny. I'm peculiarly interested in living life how I want to - but I realise my neighbour probably feels likewise. It's not beyond reason that outside arbitration might be called for at some point (unless might = right in which case huzzah!! - my neighbour is a scrawny girl and therefore has to put up with my late-night mandolin practice).

Whether this mediation comes from a village elder or a high court judge doesn't really matter to me. In fact the legal systems has certain advantages in that it has a set precedent and is publicly accountable - it is also a lot less likely to rule against me because I didn't send it a basket of apples last autumn.
[/SIZE]

Another thing which seems most difficult for people to understand is that everything we know would be gone so you can't compare what we are proposing to what we have. To do so is to completely dismiss the idea of anarchy. It would be important for you and your neighbor to come to terms which are agreeable to both of you and do it on your own. If you do not then the next obvious choice is to relocate. In an anarchistic society, relocation is as simple as packing up and moving. Delegation would not be necessary as often as it is currently and in times that delegation IS necessary, you would both agree upon someone who is neutral to the situation. You would both make an offer to that person in order to get them to agree and then the delegation would begin. Granted, this delegation would not always be fair but neither of you must actually follow the results of the delegation. It would be there as merely a chance to get an outside opinion.

Quote:

Where the rule of might = right applies (as it no doubt currently does in places like Basra and Kabul) I think you do tend to see monocultures develop. The tastes and mores of the mightiest (and their lickspittles) become either en vogue or de rigueur. Large and pluralistic societies offer more in terms of cosmopolitan variety and, problems in regard to integration notwithstanding, opportunities for those within to benefit from or enjoy the epicurean delights on offer.

[/SIZE]
Again, you are comparing might = right in a comonplace society to a might = right in a completely different context. Monocultures may very well develop but you have no obligation to stay there. There will be many other locations which offer the variety which you seek. There will be many other places which you can travel at a whim. You would be truly free to travel as you desire and to find a place which suited your ideals and abilities. In anarchy, you are deciding factor in all aspects of your life. Only you prevent you from doing something and only you can take responsibility for your actions. Thus you will need to take action which best suits the outcome you desire.

Quote:

So common authority strikes me as attractive because it is less strikingly arbitrary or given to corruption (that's not to say it is immune by any means - but the degree to whish it is accountable to press and public is far greater), that it sets a standard of values and communicates them and their vicissitudes and that (in the case of places like the UK and US, I like to hope) it goes to some length to ensure security for minorities and eccentrics who might be regarded as scapegoats or worse in a might = right society.

Again, those who are not treated well would not be slaves to the area in which they live. Open your mind a bit and consider true freedom. Freedom to come and go as you please with no borders, laws, passports, controls to keep you where you are. If you don't like the weather, migrate. If you don't like the way you are treated, leave. It really is that simple. You would only be held to the standards of the area in which YOU choose to live. It all comes back to you. It has nothing to do with others. If others are encroaching on your understanding of happiness then find something or somewhere else. There are thousands of similar climates, locations, peoples in this world. In the current society you are trapped by the restriction of law and borders. You must live where you are in order to get along because you cannot afford to move or change. Remove the boundries and laws are no longer necessary. Systems of control are no longer required. You are the system of control in your life.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 10:36 am
@Icon,
I am going to shift up and add to Icon's post here. My additions will be in red.

This is a very valid point. Social services which are provided by your government would stop. This means that a great deal of the modern conveniences which you enjoy will no longer be available for free. They would not stop, just not be for free. However, the value of your wok would also increase in the society which we propose because you would set the value of your work rather than having a government or political standard. But you also have to admit that a great deal of these services come down to common sense. Citizen's advice is a consultant for how to get along with your neighbors but does the service truly tell you anything that you could not reason out yourself? These services would be replaced with common sense and communal assistance.

It is important to also note that government does not provide these services for free, as Mr. Allen has noted by stating that he is buying into a social contract. The fact is that you do pay for the privilege of using these goods and services, but since they are provided by government monopoly, the are inefficient and necessarily more costly than private provision. Even if you argue that you are paying less than you would be, you must make the argument that others should pay more for themselves and then pay for your use as well.

Social contract is precisely what we have in mind here. In a true social contract, you choose to follow the laws of the area in which you live. There is another side of that coin however. You choose to live where the laws best suit you. In most of these remarks, you make it seem as if you are trapped in the area which you live and so you must put up with certain things in order to get certain things which you enjoy. What is it that prevents you from finding a better place? Nothing but yourself.

As pertains his Allen's comments here, I just wish to ask if I, as an objector to all government activities, am a slave, and if this is an acceptable state of affairs?

Again, you are comparing might = right in a comonplace society to a might = right in a completely different context. Monocultures may very well develop but you have no obligation to stay there. There will be many other locations which offer the variety which you seek. There will be many other places which you can travel at a whim. You would be truly free to travel as you desire and to find a place which suited your ideals and abilities. In anarchy, you are deciding factor in all aspects of your life. Only you prevent you from doing something and only you can take responsibility for your actions. Thus you will need to take action which best suits the outcome you desire.

He is also ignoring the statements I made earlier.

Might = right is the way it goes, period. No state eliminates this.

Setting up a monoculture does not happen without cost. We can assume there will be a need to force people out. This would cost money in both the labor of actually ejecting them and in the lost opportunity of having potential trading partners. With government, you take these costs and spread them out upon not only the uninvolved and uncaring, but even on those that are getting ejected or oppressed.

So what you are doing is applying cost deflection of political democracy to that of anarchistic made law for which individuals are responsible for the cost of the laws. An excellent essay by Roderick Long answered ten objections to libertarian anarchism, and this is one such topic:

Quote:
Of course, the difference between economic democracy of the Mises sort and political democracy is: well, yeah, they get whatever they want, but they're going to have to pay for it. Now, it's perfectly true that if you have people who are fanatical enough about wanting to impose some wretched thing on other people, if you've got a large enough group of people who are fanatical enough about this, then anarchy might not lead to libertarian results.
If you live in California, you've got enough people who are absolutely fanatical about banning smoking, or maybe if you're in Alabama, and it's homosexuality instead of smoking they want to ban (neither one would ban the other, I think) - in that case, it might happen that they're so fanatical about it that they would ban it. But remember that they are going to have to be paying for this. So when you get your monthly premium, you see: well, here's your basic service - protecting you against aggression; oh, and then here's also your extended service, and the extra fee for that - peering in your neighbors' windows to make sure that they're not - either the tobacco or the homosexuality or whatever it is you're worried about. Now the really fanatical people will say, "Yes, I'm going to shell out the extra money for this." (Of course, if they're that fanatical, they're probably going to be trouble under minarchy, too.) But if they're not that fanatical, they'll say, "Well, if all I have to do is go into a voting booth and vote for these laws restricting other people's freedom, well, heck, I'd go in, it's pretty easy to go in and vote for it." But if they actually have to pay for it - "Gee, I don't know. Maybe I can reconcile myself to this."

So you see, while under a democratic system, 50% of the population will be all for unfair legislation as they do not have to pay for it. Add in the costs of maintaining this under market anarchy and you will have a lot fewer supporters.
0 Replies

nicodemus

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 10:45 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
you claim that if a coorporation gets out of line, they can be brought down in an anarchist society, gets out of line in whos eyes, their competition, an employee they recently fired, a disgruntled consumer base, if any biased, partial fool can waltz in and topple a collosal part of the economy, what kind of stabilty will that bring, it goes back to your trust in the mob, theoretically excellent, actually full of holes
the might=right problem will always be prevalent with or without government, but answer me this, rather than putting a check on them by creating an entity which can restrict even the mightiest of giants, you would have the Rockefellers of tomorrow hold the whip, there is at least a way of providing partial protection on a large scale through any form of government, and you would throw this away for the sake of a social contract. the law is not a cafeteria, you do not choose which laws to follow and which laws to forsake for your own convenience. once again, i will take the risk of declaring humanity a pack of self centered rats when i say that if a contract becomes a stricture and we have a choice, we will ignore the contract, unless there are universal and unbiased consequences, i am not talking about the consequences of an angry lynch mob which comes to the door of a business owner who instead of caving to striking employees, fired them and hired scabs. i am talking about established justice, and while you may see this as the most inhumane stricture of all, it is the one that keeps us from tearing at each other's throats like wolves
lakeshoredrive

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 12:01 pm
@nicodemus,
nicodemus wrote:
i am talking about established justice, and while you may see this as the most inhumane stricture of all, it is the one that keeps us from tearing at each other's throats like wolves

This is where you are wrong. You cannot assume that everyone has the same consideration for social constructs that you have.
"Establishment" does not exist in the sense that you are describing it. It exists only in the mind of the individual, and that individual's personal connection to the societal structure as a whole.

My point, however, is that this "establishment" (which I, at least, do not consider myself a part of, and thus to me, does not exist) is not what keeps me from tearing at my brothers' throats. What keeps me from doing so is my own ethics, morality, and conscience.
Icon

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 12:27 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Exactly my point as well. I do not kill because it does not serve me to do so.
nicodemus

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 06:48 pm
@lakeshoredrive,
My point, however, is that this "establishment" (which I, at least, do not consider myself a part of, and thus to me, does not exist) is not what keeps me from tearing at my brothers' throats. What keeps me from doing so is my own ethics, morality, and conscience.[/quote]

all well and good for you, but not everyone holds to your same morality, not only that, but they hold the same view of morality that you hold of establishment, if a business owner as a competition that will outdo him and no qualms about killing, the only thing that will stop him from slaughtering a fellow sentient being is the aforementioned establishment. your individualized system of law is a path to chaos
Doobah47

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 08:08 pm
@nicodemus,
Sorry, I havn't read much of this thread, but I will after I've written this.

Strictly speaking there could never be a 'problem' per se with 'anarchy', because that would incur some kind of process of problem-solving, hence rule based systems and governmental oppression. So that is my problem with anarchy.

We have language specifically because there isn't anarchy, thus we could probably never achieve anarchy in any society - although that doesn't stop intuited anarchy, regardless of any counter-intuitive responses within the anarchic societyv - anarchy in my mind is apparently utopian.
0 Replies

lakeshoredrive

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 10:59 pm
@nicodemus,
nicodemus wrote:
all well and good for you, but not everyone holds to your same morality, not only that, but they hold the same view of morality that you hold of establishment, if a business owner as a competition that will outdo him and no qualms about killing, the only thing that will stop him from slaughtering a fellow sentient being is the aforementioned establishment. your individualized system of law is a path to chaos

I don't think you understand anarchy the way I'm talking about it. Anarchy is both order and chaos.
The order is the part that most people don't get. Anarchy is not a system. Anarchy is something that occurs in nature. Anarchy occurs when, and only when, there is a lack of authority. If a man kills another man, he has taken authority over his victim. Therefore in a society of perfect anarchy, murder does not occur.

The society many people envision when the term anarchy is used fits much better the meaning of omniarchy; every man has authority over every other man. This society is the definition of chaos. And it is the antithesis of anarchism.
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 02:15 am
@Icon,
Anarchy is not a form of society that can endure. Unless everyone is absolutely equal in every way, the strong or the lucky will suceed in creating an order according to their own vision.
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 06:41 am
@nicodemus,
nicodemus wrote:
My point, however, is that this "establishment" (which I, at least, do not consider myself a part of, and thus to me, does not exist) is not what keeps me from tearing at my brothers' throats. What keeps me from doing so is my own ethics, morality, and conscience.

all well and good for you, but not everyone holds to your same morality, not only that, but they hold the same view of morality that you hold of establishment, if a business owner as a competition that will outdo him and no qualms about killing, the only thing that will stop him from slaughtering a fellow sentient being is the aforementioned establishment. your individualized system of law is a path to chaos[/quote]

Unsupported assertions leave us at an impasse. Why is our "individualized system of law a path to chaos." The "establishment" is not the only manner in which someone defends themselves.
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 07:11 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
I would like to ask a question to the doubters of anarchy.

How many times have you been to court?
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 09:22 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
I'm a supporter of anarchism, but I have been four times.
lakeshoredrive

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 03:02 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
I as well support anarchism, and have been to court once.
I can only assume chance will happen me to court again in the future, and I look forward to it. Politics is a great sport, as Groucho said. I would love to make a mockery of a court the way the Chicago Seven did in 1969.
Read some testimonies, they're hilarious: Country Joe McDonald, Chicago Seven Trial
lakeshoredrive

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 04:01 pm
@lakeshoredrive,
I thought I might share this quote to help some of the skeptics of anarchism understand the conditions that describe an anarchist society:
Quote:
Before our white brothers came to civilize us we had no jails. Therefore we had no criminals. You can't have criminals without a jail. We had no locks or keys, and so we had no thieves. If a person was so poor that he had no horse, tipi or blanket, someone gave him these things. We were too uncivilized to set much value on personal belongings. We wanted to have things only in order to give away. We had no money, and therefore a man's worth could not be measured by it. We had no written law, no attorneys or politicians, therefore we couldn't cheat.

-Lame Deer, Sioux medicine man