It is logically impossible to know the past

Aristoddler

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 09:01 pm
@NoAngst,
NoAngst wrote:
I literally have no idea what you are talking about. It is as if the preceding pages of discussion did not take place: "There are people who have denied the holocaust, as there are people who say it really happened.
What they believe is history, is what they believe is fact, therefore anything to contradite either side is passed as false information". Amazing.
Apologies.
What I meant by that, is that what they believe is history; is in fact what they choose to believe.
I (for example) choose to believe that Stalin invented the Airplane.
Therefore, anything to contradict me, is in my eyes false.
So history is (to me, and in my writings) Stalin invented the airplane.

Now we have two stories and two inventors, since some people who will read my book will actually believe that Stalin invented it.
pilgrimshost

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 09:12 pm
@Aristoddler,
Yes but history isnt created in the mind, it is drawn from a source. Which has one way or another been discovered. Which in effect is 'evidence' of something. What that evidence is interpreted as is the issue!
0 Replies

Aristoddler

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 09:14 pm
@NoAngst,
In two hundred years: My book could be contested as evidence. - for example.
pilgrimshost

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 09:17 pm
@Aristoddler,
Ever heard of Bade, he did the same thing, widely regarded as the truth of( i believe) the dark ages, now through new evidence it is revealed to be largely made up for reasons i forget.
0 Replies

Aristoddler

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 09:21 pm
@NoAngst,
And in the process, wasted a lot of people's precious time.
I understand your view, and agree with what you are saying.
I'm only posing a scenario.

The evidence is interpreted as truth in many cases, where it might not be the truth.
Fifteen years ago, Bade was the truth.
0 Replies

perplexity

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 09:21 pm
@NoAngst,
NoAngst wrote:
I am not at all sure what you are saying.

Of course not.

With the multiple reality version you have an infinite number of realities to cope with, the need then being to let go of the need for that sense of security, to succumb to the humanly impossible enormity of it.

NoAngst wrote:

If personal belief and concensus of belief have nothing to do with reality, whence the claim that a belief accepted by culture or otherwise consensus, and subsequently promulgated (like that the earth is flat and the sun revolves around it?) , that that is reality?

That was reality, just as what now is reality will soon enough be replaced by the next one to come along, and yes, for as long as the mind creates the reality, the possibility of belief is crucial to the process, if you know what a belief is, how to do it. For somebody like me, reluctant to believe, I am equally devoid of a reality, personal or otherwise, hence a creative tendency.

NoAngst wrote:
Come again? Seems to me that you both evidence a lack of understanding of the difference between what is true for you and the majority vs what is true in fact, and this despite my having bothered to conduct the aforementioned experiment.

Yes, absolutely. For somebody of a rational disposition it is impossible to understand without the evidence.

Which experiment, by the way? Do you mean to refer to our separate realities, as demonstrated by the course of this thread?

Hardly, I would have thought, evidence of us inhabiting an identical reality.

NoAngst wrote:

RE: the context of this thread, my argument is that it is logically impossible to know the past because there is no rational means to assess truth value between rival or contradictory accounts, or single accounts which appeal to imponderable evidence (e.g., the unconscious motivations of a subject or subjects party to an event).

Of course: Different realities entail different accounts.

NoAngst wrote:

I take Perplexity to say that there is no objective truth anyway, and so therefore my contention is pointless;

Objective truth as a practical notion is useful enough. It has got the job done for those of us within the working hypothesis of this reality, because from day to day the absolute truth is not so much of a worry, a best guess not only is, but has to be good enough.

Looking around for the after death travel brochures, that is usually when it begins to worry.

NoAngst wrote:

my point is that there is an objective truth (e.g., that the Duke of Medina Sidonia could in fact have been insane or puerile), but that there is nothing in historicism which can admit sufficient precision to make such assessment. Hence, the truth about the past cannot be known, as evidenced by varying and conradictory accounts of the same event.

In which case you are not so alone. If only there were sufficient precision for me to remember where I have left a few of my things around this cluttered room here, today, when I need to find them again.

With regard then to the Duke of Medina Sidonia, et al, I stick with my original: It is all propaganda. There was always a reason for the writer to want you to prefer a particular account of it.

--- RH.
NoAngst

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 09:22 pm
@Aristoddler,
Aristoddler wrote:
Apologies.
What I meant by that, is that what they believe is history; is in fact what they choose to believe.
I (for example) choose to believe that Stalin invented the Airplane.
Therefore, anything to contradict me, is in my eyes false.
So history is (to me, and in my writings) Stalin invented the airplane.

Now we have two stories and two inventors, since some people who will read my book will actually believe that Stalin invented it.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how what you choose to believe and your commission of the same error I have already noted (i.e., that what is history to you is not history in fact) says nothing as to the truth about the past and should be read strictly for entertainment value. Is that the purpose of history to you? Other than mere length, how does that kind of history differ from a poem or song about the same event?
Aristoddler

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 09:25 pm
@NoAngst,
NoAngst wrote:
I'm sorry, but I fail to see how what you choose to believe and your commission of the same error I have already noted (i.e., that what is history to you is not history in fact) says nothing as to the truth about the past and should be read strictly for entertainment value. Is that the purpose of history to you? Other than mere length, how does that kind of history differ from a poem or song about the same event?

Prove Stalin did not invent the airplane.

Do not use written references, as the authors are only human, and are prone to error.
NoAngst

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 09:32 pm
@perplexity,
perplexity wrote:
Of course not.

With the multiple reality version you have an infinite number of realities to cope with, the need then being to let go of the need for that sense of security, to succumb to the humanly impossible enormity of it.

That was reality, just as what now is reality will soon enough be replaced by the next one to come along, and yes, for as long as the mind creates the reality, the possibility of belief is crucial to the process, if you know what a belief is, how to do it. For somebody like me, reluctant to believe, I am equally devoid of a reality, personal or otherwise, hence a creative tendency.

Yes, absolutely. For somebody of a rational disposition it is impossible to understand without the evidence.

Which experiment, by the way? Do you mean to refer to our separate realities, as demonstrated by the course of this thread?

Hardly, I would have thought, evidence of us inhabiting an identical reality.

Of course: Different realities entail different accounts.

Objective truth as a practical notion is useful enough. It has got the job done for those of us within the working hypothesis of this reality, because from day to day the absolute truth is not so much of a worry, a best guess not only is, but has to be good enough.

Looking around for the after death travel brochures, that is usually when it begins to worry.

In which case you are not so alone. If only there were sufficient precision for me to remember where I have left a few of my things around this cluttered room here, today, when I need to find them again.

With regard then to the Duke of Medina Sidonia, et al, I stick with my original: It is all propaganda. There was always a reason for the writer to want you to prefer a particular account of it.

--- RH.

Your continued avoidance of the point made by the above experiment is duly noted. What you have written is again wholly beside the point, as have been the majority of your posts to this thread. You just keep mindlessly repeating your same belief, ignoring obvious counter-example and simply insisting that you are right. An intellectually honest person would at least try to accommodate counter-example. Not you. I do believe I have never encountered a more intellectually bankrupt individual on this or any other internet forum.
NoAngst

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 09:33 pm
@Aristoddler,
Aristoddler wrote:
Prove Stalin did not invent the airplane.

Do not use written references, as the authors are only human, and are prone to error.

Oh, brother.
perplexity

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 09:35 pm
@NoAngst,
NoAngst wrote:
Is that the purpose of history to you? Other than mere length, how does that kind of history differ from a poem or song about the same event?

Words are words, and words are cheap.

Did you forget to tell us your purpose, No Angst, or did I miss that posting?

-- RH.
0 Replies

pilgrimshost

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 09:38 pm
@Aristoddler,
I see it is just an example, but i would point then to the original sourcei.e. the Wright brothers who were born before stalin and the use of planes also before his birth. Thus a sence of perspective goes a long way.
0 Replies

Aristoddler

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 09:40 pm
@NoAngst,
NoAngst wrote:
Oh, brother.

That is exactly my point.

You would be so willing to pass off the idea (ludicrous as it is) that something you have been taught all your life is incorrect; that you accept what you have been told as fact.
You choose to believe that Stalin did not invent the airplane. (which is true of course, he did not)
But like I said earlier; 15 years ago...you would have scoffed at someone saying that Bade was wrong.

EDIT-
Sorry Pilgrimhost, you posted at the same time as I.
You're right on the money. It's about perspective. And thank you for not nitpicking about my ridiculous example. It was, of course, easily disproven...but it was a quick choice, using the airplane for some reason.
perplexity

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 09:43 pm
@NoAngst,
NoAngst wrote:
Your continued avoidance of the point made by the above experiment is duly noted. What you have written is again wholly beside the point, as have been the majority of your posts to this thread.

Your attempt to try to fool us with a fiction instead of a fact?

That "experiment"?

Now I have to laugh.

NoAngst wrote:

You just keep mindlessly repeating your same belief, ignoring obvious counter-example and simply insisting that you are right. An intellectually honest person would at least try to accommodate counter-example. Not you. I do believe I have never encountered a more intellectually bankrupt individual on this or any other internet forum.

You describe yorself, Mr No Angst Pot Kettle Black.

That is all projection, the desperate resort to an hominem being the classic indicator of a bankrupt argument.

I have to get some sleep now.

Good night.

--- RH.
0 Replies

pilgrimshost

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 09:43 pm
@Aristoddler,
Who was that last post to?

ok got it

Later, perplexity.
0 Replies

Aristoddler

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 09:45 pm
@NoAngst,
I edited it, Pilgrim...
0 Replies

Ragnell

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 07:35 pm
@NoAngst,
NoAngst wrote:

I am not at all sure what you are saying. If personal belief and concensus of belief have nothing to do with reality, whence the claim that a belief accepted by culture or otherwise consensus, and subsequently promulgated (like that the earth is flat and the sun revolves around it?) , that that is reality? Come again? Seems to me that you both evidence a lack of understanding of the difference between what is true for you and the majority vs what is true in fact, and this despite my having bothered to conduct the aforementioned experiment.

Hmph. If you had actually read and given some thought to my post - instead of imagining what I probably said because my post may have sounded like I was about to take perplecity's 'side' - you would understand it perfectly. I give clear references to both majorities and individuals, ones that you have entirely chosen to ignore. And you call perplexity 'bankrupt' mentally? Hah... pardon me, but I laugh at this.
perplexity

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 08:25 pm
@Ragnell,
Ragnell wrote:
Hmph. If you had actually read and given some thought to my post - instead of imagining what I probably said because ....

It is worse than that.

NoAngst insists that I say what it suits him to suppose that I say, even in the face of my insistance that the NoAngst version of it is not what I said at all.

--- RH.
0 Replies

Ragnell

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:16 pm
@NoAngst,
Oh, I know; I did read your quotes and did not merely think you were just being contrary.
0 Replies

Aristoddler

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 01:08 pm
@NoAngst,
There seems to be a bit of tension here.

Why is there tension, when all we are doing is sharing our ideas?
It's not as if we were pushing a final sale on someone here...a difference of opinions is going to happen a lot on a forum dedicated to debate. It's supposed to.
A civilized debate will yield better end results, and less bad blood than heated arguing.