Political Correctness And The Death Of The Truth In Society

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 02:09 pm
Yeah, you and your crew. What evidence do you have the Cyclo intends to "invade your domain?"
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 02:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Telling you that you shouldn't have said something isn't 'claiming control' over you. It's my opinion, is all.
It is your opinion that you have the right to invade other peoples domain. This is an opinion for which I thoroughly condemn you, and I encourage others to join me in my condemnation of you.

'Invade your domain?' Are you just making random **** up now, Hawk?

I think that once again, a position that you have taken has been shown by others to be completely and totally without merit. You should be embarrassed to put forth such tripe as if it was actual logical thought.

By the way, by encouraging others to condemn me for voicing my opinion, how are you acting any differently than those you say are wrong to condemn you for voicing your opinion? What a joke.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 11:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Quote:
It seems that there is a consensus building in this thread that political correctness is acceptable in a political discourse

I disagree.

It is 'present continuous' tense.
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 11:28 pm
I think vikkor, high seas, engineer, hex, cyclo made very good points.

Now, PC just cannot be discarded for the sake of bias or even prejudice. I would further sake that PC cannot be discarded for the sake of Truth even.

Lets take an example. If the Chinese are militarising the Tibetan plateau which they occupied in 1950s, does this blatant exhibition of power and might provoke the tibetans living in New York to abuse a chinese found in the streets of Manhattan. For the Tibetians, the chinese may look like very uncultured and haughty. may be their language is not right. There may be many aspects of Chinese culture which may not suit a tibetian or his sensibilities. All this cannot be an excuse to deride or impose restrictions or demonstrate against or shout down a poor Chinese farmer who may be taking a stroll at Manhattan, New York.

If one Apple has infection, does not mean all are infected, similarly and contrastingly if most Apples are infected does not mean each and every one is infected. One needs to be discrete and discriminate the good from the bad.
roger

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 11:55 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades phil wrote:

I would further sake that PC cannot be discarded for the sake of Truth even.

Forget the tense. What is that supposed to mean?
vikorr

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 01:14 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
This is as bad as the whining Rapist Boy (a.k.a. "Hawkeye") does. No one here has been "stifled."...Certainly no one in this thread has been obliged to respect anyone else

Setanta, my post was not aimed at anyone here – it was a comment on PC/anti-racism as promoted in society in general.
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 04:33 am
@roger,
I am sorry for that oversight.
High Seas

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:32 am
@vikorr,
Your intent was clear to the objective reader; it will never be clear to the PC-blinded reader, blinkered as he is by some irrational "anti-bias bias". The post seems to have been written in response to another of my posts, quoting the much-referenced, seldom-read George Orwell:
http://able2know.org/topic/146051-4#post-4336825 Here is the post again:
Quote:
Setanta wrote:
Quote:
..., i think it appropriate to point out that one can ignore political rectitude without a point by simply ignoring it. [...]
.... i suspect the original post of being a cover for racism, even if the author himself were not aware of it.

You cite Orwell without appearing to have read him - if you had, you would see how nonsensical your 2 quoted phrases really are:
" Political language -- and with variations this is true of all political parties, from Conservatives to Anarchists -- is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. "
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/orwell46.htm
High Seas

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:49 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
I also don't understand what your second line means; the example you give doesn't make it clearer. As Roger said, forget the tense. Also, forget the apology - just read Orwell's essay on the English language (just linked) and try to apply his advice. So - can you reformulate this in simpler terms?
Quote:
Now, PC just cannot be discarded for the sake of bias or even prejudice. I would further sake that PC cannot be discarded for the sake of Truth even.
Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 10:44 am
@vikorr,
I didn't state or imply that it was directed at anyone. I was simply responding to the manner in which High Seas responded your post.
Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 10:48 am
@High Seas,
I ignored that post because it was meaningless. It still is. Nothing establishes Orwell as the last and finally authoritative word on political speech. Nothing in your typical preening of your own excellent understanding alters that the original post, while the author may not have intended it, is basically racist in character. I explained why i said that. It is noteworthy that you did not respond to that.

Orwell was free to think as he liked. I am free to ignore his testy cynicism.
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 11:58 am
@High Seas,
Leave aside Orwell, i will look at him later. I am glad you choose to ignore the spelling mistake, and dwell on a point which i hoped some one would pick.

Let me make the example clearer. Even if, and thats a big IF, the Tibetians (some may address them as Tibetans) think the Chinese are occupying their sacred land, and atheistic ruling class of China is imposing its hegemony over a predominatly non-violent society, it is equally true that China has strategic interest in the region. The way they have subjugated this race is highly immoral. And to think and believe that this is a truth would not be an misplaced assessment.

Even so, the Tibetians cannot be politically incorrect in their language as regards the Chinese aggression and condemn the entire Chinese society.
In modern times a healthy way of engaging with the enemy has to be applied. The refrain and restraint shown by teh Tibetian leadership and diplomats are a worthy example which suggests that PC has its useful role in modern human society. The truth is often not told in a manner as it is told in the streets. In civilised societies often the truth is suppressed. This is a fact. And thats what was meant in the second sentence.
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 01:11 pm
@High Seas,
oh...i read your link......orwell does make some valid points.
I have my tail between my legs!
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 06:03 pm
@Setanta,
Okay. Perhaps rather than saying 'This is as bad as..." you could have been more specfic "High Sea's response is as bad as..."
High Seas

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 06:13 pm
@vikorr,
Objection! I was quoting you, Vikorr. I agreed with you, Setanta didn't - but I doubt that he really meant to call either of us a criminal.
William

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 02:31 am
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean wrote:

Why can't anyone in our society....

Please Pyth, just who is our?

Thanks,
William
0 Replies

cg2028

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 05:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
Sorta off topic. but why is hawkeye called, "Rapist Boy"? just asking. It seems as though every person on this website is against him.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 06:45 pm
@cg2028,
Quote:

Sorta off topic. but why is hawkeye called, "Rapist Boy"? just asking. It seems as though every person on this website is against him.
A few vocal people have a great deal of animosity towards me. It has to do that I argue that the Age of consent is too high, that teens should have the right to be sexual with whom ever they want ( in the context that I argue often that teens have been deprived of rights in such a way that in interferes with them growing up to be happy, whole and productive members of society) and also because I argue against running most sexual disputes through the legal system. I think that such matters are better handled in the public health system. I also argue strenuously against most of the changes in the definition of rape that have taken place over the last 30 years, and call for reverting back to the older definitions.

Taken in total it is said that I am a promoter of rape. I say that our sex law is fucked up and as part of the reform of these laws we need to change what rape is, because the current definition is so huge that it is nearly meaningless. For instance we now have rape where both adults in the act agreed to the act and enjoyed the act, but the state after the fact removes the woman's right to consent and thus turns the act into rape. This is an outrageous abuse of individual rights.

I think it was Intrpid who started calling me "rapist boy". OccomBill was actually more interesting when he started calling me "demented piece of ****".
BillRM

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 07:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
OccomBill was actually more interesting when he started calling me "demented piece of ****".

I had look at a numbers of his posts and they only seem to consist of short insults so I had just block him as a waste of time.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 03:16 am
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye wrote:
Quote:
I think it was Intrpid who started calling me "rapist boy". OccomBill was actually more interesting when he started calling me "demented piece of ****".

I think you are referring to me since what you wrote is somewhat close to looking like Intrepid.

No, I called you an idiot and a piece of scum. Those who read your crap can decide for themselves what they think of you. Other than BillRM, I have not seen anyone who agrees with your sick view of women and children.

If you can't remember who said what, don't go throwing around that somebody said something they didn't say. I remember who called you rapist boy, but it wasn't me. Idiot.