I hope I will/would ... players. That will/would make my day.

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 11:50 am
I hope I will be able to meet my favourite tennis players. That would make my day.

1. Why is there 'will' in the first sentence, while in the second 'will' is used. Will it be wrong if 'would' is used in each of the sentences.

2. Can 'would' in the second sentence be replaced by 'will'?

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,609 • Replies: 9
No top replies

JTT

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 06:57 pm
@tanguatlay,
1. Why is there 'will' in the first sentence, while in the second 'will' is used?

You must have meant would where the underlined will is, right, Ms Tan?

0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 05:34 am
Hi JTT

Sorry for the error. I have amended it.

I hope I will be able to meet my favourite tennis players. That would make my day.

1. Why is there 'will' in the first sentence, while in the second 'would' is used? Will it be wrong if 'would' is used in each of the sentences.

Thanks in advance.
JTT

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 06:01 pm
@tanguatlay,
Quote:
1. Why is there 'will' in the first sentence, while in the second 'would' is used? Will it be wrong if 'would' is used in each of the sentences.

Give me your ideas on your questions, Ms Tan, and your reasons behind those ideas. I think then we can get this straightened out once and for all.
tanguatlay

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 07:15 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

Give me your ideas on your questions, Ms Tan, and your reasons behind those ideas. I think then we can get this straightened out once and for all.
Hi JTT

I think the first 'will' is correct because she hopes that it will happen. The second 'would' is correct because she is not sure of meeting the tennis players. It is like saying "If I were to met the tennis players, I would be happy."

KaseiJin

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:23 am
Please do excuse my kind bursting in through the slung open bar room doors, but you two seem to kind of know each other well . . . Interesting--and might I add, well carried out (as far as I have seen, so far). Carry on.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:24 pm
@tanguatlay,

1. Why is there 'will' in the first sentence, while in the second 'would' is used. Will/Would it be wrong if 'would' is used in each of the sentences.

2. Can/Could 'would' in the second sentence be replaced by 'will'?

===========================

Quote:
Hi JTT

I think the first 'will' is correct because she hopes that it will happen. The second 'would' is correct because she is not sure of meeting the tennis players. It is like saying "If I were to met the tennis players, I would be happy."

Hello, Ms Tan. What you've said is true, but it doesn't seem to address your questions, numbers 1 & 2, above.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 10:01 am
@tanguatlay,
Hi JTT

tanguatlay wrote:

1. Why is there 'will' in the first sentence, while in the second 'will' is used. Will it be wrong if 'would' is used in each of the sentences.

The word "hope' should be followed by 'will'. It is wrong to use 'would' in both sentences because the second 'would' refers to the uncertainty of meeting the tennis players.

No, because 'will' implies that the speaker can certainly meet the tennis players, which may or may not happen.
I believe I have now addressed the two questions.
JTT

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 10:51 am
@tanguatlay,
Quote:

1. Why is there 'will' in the first sentence, while in the second 'would' is used. Will/Would it be wrong if 'would' is used in each of the sentences.

The word "hope' should be followed by 'will'. It is wrong to use 'would' in both sentences because the second 'would' refers to the uncertainty of meeting the tennis players.

'will' often does follow 'hope' but it isn't a 'should' so much as simply a common event, I would say, especially when the speaker's expectation of realization is high or they want it to be high or be recognized as high.

'would' can be used after 'hope',

I hope I would have the presence of mind to ask ... .

I hope I would have the strength to die for my beliefs.

[both are from the 1st page of a Google exact phrase search "hope I would", which yielded 92+ million hits while "hope I will" had 96+ million hits.]

So 'would could be used when the expectation of realization is low.

I hope I would be able to meet my favourite tennis players.

It can be further weakened with,

I would hope I could/would meet my favourite tennis players.

Quote:

No, because 'will' implies that the speaker can certainly meet the tennis players, which may or may not happen.

The same for the 2nd sentence; 'will' could be used and the difference, once more could be:

1) speaker's expectation of realization

2) speaker wants to believe the expectation is high

3) speaker wants the expectation to be viewed as being high

4) other pragmatic considerations that I've not thought of

0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:05 am
Thanks, JTT, for your detailed explanation.
0 Replies