Da Bunny's visiting New York.

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:20 am
@margo,
I think I gave an example of only paying for the food and that is ALWAYS an option.
D says Anyway. please lets stay off the topic.
So that's all I have to say on this on this thread. Maybe we should start a thread entitled "Screw your local customs if they don't match mine."

Hey Dlowan: Enginneer wants a er, tip on where to stay cheaply in the city. I'm sending him your way.

Joe(tip toes out)Nation
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 10:32 am
@margo,
margo wrote:
It's not a "performance bonus" in the US.
It's organised begging for a livable wage.

What would happen if I didn't tip? Do I have that option? Do the wait staff depend on tips?

I could just walk out without incident?
Yes, as long as no one in your party exposes himself to the danger of returning.

David
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 10:38 am
ANYWAY.

A friend took a quick weekend jaunt to NYC (in a little plane that freaked her out thoroughly but she got there and back just fine) and posted lots of pictures and definitely lit the "DAMMIT I NEED TO GET TO NEW YORK ALREADY!!" fire under my ass.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 11:34 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

ANYWAY.

A friend took a quick weekend jaunt to NYC (in a little plane that freaked her out thoroughly but she got there and back just fine) and posted lots of pictures and definitely lit the "DAMMIT I NEED TO GET TO NEW YORK ALREADY!!" fire under my ass.
Yeah; years ago, I left NY and lived in Arizona for 5 years.
During that time, I was homesick for NY; yearning.

David
sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 11:35 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I've never ever been! A bit weird really, since I have family there, and read more about it than any other city. But I've never been there... hope to when dlowan's there. We'll see.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 11:42 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
I've never ever been! A bit weird really, since I have family there, and read more about it than any other city.
But I've never been there... hope to when dlowan's there. We'll see.
In my opinion, a good way to approach it
is to buy a visitor 's guide or a Zagat or an AAA guidebook
and plan out your trip for optimal results, in terms of different forms of entertainment, by day and by nite,
dining and budgeting cash for a designated number of days.

There is quite a lot to see; come prepared.

David
sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 11:48 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I tend to be allergic to the scheduled tourist approach -- do this, then this, then squeeze this in before dinner there. I usually have a handful of must-sees to get to within the time I'm there, and then I do some loosely structured exploration. (As in, rather than "go to X museum," it'd be more like "spend some time in Y neighborhood.")
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 12:28 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
I tend to be allergic to the scheduled tourist approach -- do this, then this, then squeeze this in before dinner there.
I usually have a handful of must-sees to get to within the time I'm there, and then I do some loosely structured exploration. (As in, rather than "go to X museum," it'd be more like "spend some time in Y neighborhood.")
Yes; certainly. U can include any degree of freedom
into your chosen itinerary and enforce it as strictly or laxly as u opt.

The MOST important thing is to HAVE FUN !!!!!

David
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 03:35 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
I tend to be allergic to the scheduled tourist approach -- do this, then this, then squeeze this in before dinner there.

In this spirit, forget the Statue of Liberty! It's more trouble than it's worth. Most of my visitors insist on learning it the hard way, but I think you deserve a fair warning.
dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:22 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

ANYWAY.

SO IT WASN'T ALREADY THERE????

Whimpers...
dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:23 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I tend to be allergic to the scheduled tourist approach -- do this, then this, then squeeze this in before dinner there. I usually have a handful of must-sees to get to within the time I'm there, and then I do some loosely structured exploration. (As in, rather than "go to X museum," it'd be more like "spend some time in Y neighborhood.")

Yeah...walking and hanging out in NYC is great.

I hope the natives will assist in this process...
dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:24 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

sozobe wrote:

In this spirit, forget the Statue of Liberty! It's more trouble than it's worth. Most of my visitors insist on learning it the hard way, but I think you deserve a fair warning.

Fun to see it from the Staten Island Ferry though.
Roberta

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:36 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

sozobe wrote:

Thomas, I suspect that the impact of the Statue of Liberty might not be there for you because your ancestors didn't struggle against tyranny or poverty to get here. I can't tell you how moved I was the first time I saw that green lady in the flesh from the water. I thought of my family and all the other families who viewed it as a beacon and a symbol of hope.

I can understand why it wouldn't have much impact on you. And I can understand why it wouldn't be worth the schlep to see it.

Deb, If you're gonna be in the neighborhood, consider having a look-see.

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:03 pm
@dlowan,
It was there! It was there!

"Lit" is the wrong word. "Enflamed" is a little better. Think accelerant.
Thomas

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:06 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
Thomas, I suspect that the impact of the Statue of Liberty might not be there for you because your ancestors didn't struggle against tyranny or poverty to get here.

Actually, I am very impressed, not to mention moved, by Ellis Island, which documents the immigrants' experience, and which you can reach on the same ferry that brings you to Liberty Island.

I'll grant you that the Statue of Liberty looks nice on T-shirts, and in the background of I've-been-there photos. But you can get those without setting foot on Liberty Island. The main things that await you on the actual island are a) long waiting lines (in the restaurant, for the Statue, and for the ferry back), and b) extremely agressive seagulls that will nosedive for your food, peck it out of your hand, and possibly hurt you in the process. In return, even if the statue is open and you can get to its top, you end up looking out into the Atlantic Ocean, where you can greet the huddling masses yearning to breathe free---if you can see any that still arrive on a ship. You don't get any view of New York City from the Statue of Liberty, which is what many tourists foolishly expect.

Trust me: The Statue of Liberty---the concrete physical place, not the ideas it stands for, and not the site of it in the distance---is just a photo op. It's not worth leaving the ferry for on your way to Ellis Island.
Roberta

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:28 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

It's not worth leaving the ferry for on your way to Ellis Island.

Ooops. Misunderstood. I agree that it's not worth getting out of a boat to visit the statue. I thought you were talking about not seeing it at all. Seeing it from a boat is exactly what I was talking about.

Sorry, kid.
dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:47 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

It was there! It was there!

"Lit" is the wrong word. "Enflamed" is a little better. Think accelerant.

Sniffles guardedly...gets out hanky.....puts it back.....howls...

YOU NEEDED ACCELERANT????
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:59 pm
@Roberta,
Thomas wrote:
It's not worth leaving the ferry for on your way to Ellis Island.
Roberta wrote:
Ooops. Misunderstood. I agree that it's not worth getting out of a boat to visit the statue.
I thought you were talking about not seeing it at all. Seeing it from a boat is exactly what I was talking about.

Sorry, kid.
There are dinner cruise boats of varying degrees of quality.
I tried one about 30 years ago.

http://spiritofnewyork.com/New-York/home?src=google&loc=ny&ad=sol&gclid=CMe8q82M2KICFYp95QodjXsjxA

David
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 07:00 pm
@Roberta,
No harm done. Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 07:30 am
@dlowan,
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

The large, engulfy flame became positively HUMUNGOUS!!

(Ow, that's a big flame to be under my ass. I daresay I got a bit scorched there.)