The Death of Dating

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 09:50 am
OK, so a formal, old-fashioned date was not always fun. A man who insisted on ordering my dinner for me always ended up on the outside track. And seeing a movie or a play with someone whose reaction to the entertainment was 180 degrees from mine often made both parties thoroughly miserable.

But . . .

there seems to be something lost in today's just hanging out. Kids today meet and mate without any ritual. There's no slow growth of a relationship, no baby steps to take.

How do you feel?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 3,380 • Replies: 40
No top replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:12 am
@plainoldme,
My wife had placed unkind limits on my dating and or hanging out with other women.

I still flirt but do not let her know pleases!!!!!!!
dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:16 am
I'm 65, been married twice and I've not dated since high school. I've met people (women) I've found interesting and relationships either happened or didn't happen.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:20 am
@BillRM,
She sounds like a party pooper.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:21 am
I don't think that newer dating rituals are any less personal than older ones. I think that any one generation's examination of another's customs will seem queer.

A
R
T
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:22 am
@dyslexia,
I have to say that I am not even seeing single men, let alone meeting them. A couple of my friends say the same thing, including one who has a second job at Barnes and Noble.

Wow! A serious response! Dys, I was actually smiling silently, wondering what quip you might make.
Francis

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:34 am
@plainoldme,
POM wrote:
The death of dating

No wonder dating is dead.

You killed it with crazy rules..
Bella Dea

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:45 am
Why do there have to be rules of dating?
failures art

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:49 am
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:
Why do there have to be rules of dating?
They are like the rules of war. One side establishes them, and it's the same side that breaks them.

A
R
T
BillRM

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:55 am
@Bella Dea,
I remember this lady who I had dated a few times informing me that there was a fixed numbers of dates before she would have sex with me.

No problem at all with taking time before a relationship might move on to having sex however the very idea that there was a fixed requirement was such a turn off that I drop her like a hot potato.

failures art

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:59 am
@BillRM,
How many times did she instruct you to drop her?

A
R
T
BillRM

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 11:04 am
@failures art,
Quote:
How many times did she instruct you to drop her?

???????????

At the time she make that silly statement I was only one or maybe two dates away from meeting this requirement if I remember correctly.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 11:13 am
@Francis,
My rules? Did I say anything about rules?
Francis

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 11:14 am
@plainoldme,
Not yours as POM, the American crazy thing..
plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 11:22 am
Well, it's not rules that I am looking for but a bit of ritual . . . and elegance . . . and sophistication.
BillRM

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 11:25 am
@Francis,
Do you not love Frenchmen who could not protected their own country and needed American men to do it for them and yet they take every chance possible to insult us.

I can not understand why the hell Franklin love them or at least pretended to love them.

Oh that was their women not their men. Razz
Chumly

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 11:30 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Well, it's not rules that I am looking for but a bit of ritual . . . and elegance . . . and sophistication.
I am ritualistic, elegant and sophisticated; however women are impatient, insisting I meet their physical needs.
Francis

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 11:30 am
@BillRM,
You don't really understand what love and appreciation mean, do you?

You are free to see what you want in my words but it doesn't mean it's the truth..
BillRM

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 11:33 am
@Francis,
You words had been very plain in any numbers of your postings on this website.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 11:33 am
@Chumly,
It's your fatal charm!