Spelling - awful.

Irishk

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 02:42 pm
'Bureaucracy' always stumps me. Every single time. It's all those vowels bunched up in the middle and they have to be put in the right order. Too, too many vowels for such a little word!
Ragman

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 02:53 pm
@Ceili,
No problem and thanks for your reply. I've observed (perhaps unfairly) that sometimes people don't seem to respond to my posts. Glad that wasn't the case here.

I know what you mean about bad handwriting..as my own handwriting over the years (since computer days) went from bad to ghastly - to the point that it's nearly indecipherable - even by me. However, as I type I can watch my fingers going to the wrong keys despite my best efforts. That's a bit scarey as I used to write for a living (technical manuals) and hadn't such a problem 8 years ago. I wasn't a great typist, being a hunt-and-peck sort of typist. FWIW, this change happened after the age of around 52.

However, all that being said, if the problem is mechanical..meaning typos, it's a different brain issue than outright misspelling.

I'm still considering learning the acoustic guitar as it gives me such pleasure to hear that specific sound. The other instrument I'd love to learn would be the flute. But I think learning it might be too hard to get the sound of the music to come out right vs. a guitar.

Then there's the skirl of the bagpipe. How can you tell if it is the right sound or that you are in tune? Laughing

That reminds me of another musical instrument joke: Someone accidentally left an accordian on the seat of an unlocked car which was parked at a major intersection in NYC. When they returned to their car, much to their chagrin, not only was their accordian untouched but they found another accordian placed next to it.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 03:02 pm
@Irishk,
Add to that one...demagoguery, though it's less commonly referred to.
And then there's one of the oddest ... the word phlegm. What an odd collection of letters seemingly disconnected to the sound.
Irishk

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 03:07 pm
@Ragman,
Haha I just realized there's a built-in spell checker here on A2K. Oh my. (It just redlined my Haha). Oops and just did it again lol.
Ragman

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 05:51 pm
@Irishk,
There is no working spell checker on A2K for a few years now. My experience tells me that if you're seeing a spellchecking then it's for some other reason (such as an app you d/l, or you're editing in MS Word or another text editing program). I can't say for sure what is going on there but I think what you may be seeing is something else causing the underlining. It could be text sensitive advertising or keyword underlining after you've submitted the post.

For example, before in my previous post the phrase 'musical instrument' appeared underlined twice in green after I submit it. And then when you mouse over, you'll see a context sensitive reference link to top websites for musical instruments.

Haha (nope...no red underlining here)!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 06:08 pm
@Irishk,
I've just now learned by poking around that some Web Browsers such as Firefox have their own built-in spellchecker that allows any text you type online to be spell-checked.

OK. It's official...I've switched over to Mozilla Firefox and the built-in spell-checker there is part the functionality of Firefox (not a function of A2K).
Irishk

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 06:16 pm
@Ragman,
Hmmm. (It just redlined Hmmm). And when I purposely mispelled demagoguery it caught it as well. I'm using the Safari browser that downloaded when I installed iTunes.

Once I hit the reply button, though, the redlines no longer appear. So, it seems I have spellchecker while I'm composing my replies. Now if I can just convince MS Word that I'm spelling my own name correctly!
Ragman

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 07:40 pm
@Irishk,
As I wrote earlier, the spell-checker is part of the functionality of that Web Browser. As is the case with any spellchecker, once you submit the psot, you no longer are in text editing mode. So it's not a case of the advertising links with those dual green underlines.
Irishk

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 08:08 pm
@Ragman,
I never noticed it before! Handy!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 08:55 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
I've just now learned by poking around that some Web Browsers such as Firefox have their own built-in spellchecker that allows any text you type online to be spell-checked.

OK. It's official...I've switched over to Mozilla Firefox and the built-in spell-checker there is part the functionality of Firefox (not a function of A2K).
Maybe u can re-program it
so that u can spell fonetically, if the spirit moves u to do so ??

David
Ragman

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 12:02 am
@OmSigDAVID,
not really! You certainly can add to a spellchecker the inclusions of all sorts of crackpot spellings but that's not the same as programming it to spell words phonetically.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 12:05 am
@Irishk,
Perhaps you never noticed it before could be due to it being a recent change to your Browser. This change could be due to your recent download of ITunes app software and/or a new Browser or Browser modification?
Irishk

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 07:47 am
@Ragman,
True. I installed Safari around Christmas - used IE prior to that and just checked - there's no spell check when I use IE to post. Thanks, Safari!! Smile
0 Replies