Spelling - awful.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 10:27 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
I suspect that phonetic spelling can not work and that comparing English to Spanish (people misspell is Spanish . . . my daughter is a Spanish teacher who also worked in publishing Spanish language books) is futile.

While English is a not a creole, historically, it has roots in both Germanic and Romance languages while Spanish is derived wholly from Latin.
YOur defeatist objections are devoid of merit.
Fortunatley, the young r involved in texting on their fones.
This will accelerate abandonment of inefficient n illogical spelling.

Victory is inevitable.

David
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 11:44 am
@OmSigDAVID,
IF u want peepull to think u r a total ideeit, then this is the way to go.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 02:37 pm
Funny, I just saw a "button" on Facebook today that said:

BAD SPELLERS UNTIE!

I'm easily amused, so I thought it was very funny.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 08:41 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

My name is Ceili and I'm a terrible speller.

The fact that a) you noticed, and b) you care, defines you as Gen X or older.
Ceili

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 09:48 pm
@Eorl,
Busted!! GenX.. all the way.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 11:23 pm
@Eorl,
Ceili wrote:
My name is Ceili and I'm a terrible speller.
Eorl wrote:
The fact that a) you noticed, and b) you care, defines you as Gen X or older.
I think it was probably in the 1980s that 2 new members of NY Mensa
decided that there were too many "old people" so thay created
a new special interest group called Gen X SIG, whose attendance
was limited to members below age 30. There was some indignation
n consternation attending this event in some quarters. I didn't care.

I asked one of the founders what he 'd do when he exceeded
that age: he said he'd raise the age limit, which he did.

I believe that since then, a Gen Y SIG has been established.

The O.M. SIG accepts any member of any age.

David
JTT

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 11:33 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
The O.M. SIG accepts any member of any age.

Idiots too.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 12:36 am
I'm probably one of the worst on A2K in terms of spelling (I posted with a spelling error in my screen name for four shameful years...). It got so bad that I decided I needed a techno-intervention and moved over to Firefox and Chrome (superior for other reasons beyond built in spell check).

I have odd moments of even spoken language where my brain breaks. My girlfriend adoringly refers to them as my ESL moments.

I think I've become much better over the last 3 years though.

A
R
T
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 11:09 am
Spell-check is turning New Yorkers into dummies.

But we’re not alone in our growing ignorance.

In Britain, birthplace of the English language, 2,000 adults recently were given a simple spelling test by a charitable outfit called Mencap — and told they could not cheat by consulting their computers or smartphones.

A third could not spell the words “definitely” and “separate.” Two-thirds got the spelling of “necessary” wrong.
Quote:
I have never been able to spell these three, I would have failed...

And hundreds were unable to use the words “there” and “it’s” correctly in a sentence.

“Many Britons have a false impression about their spelling ability,” said Mencap chief Mark Goldring.

So do many New Yorkers. We gave the same test to 25 city residents of various ages Tuesday — and results were similar.

The nine who got all the questions right tended to be older, female, and less reliant on electronic spelling aids like auto-correct.

“I don’t think I’m even using auto-correct,” said Abby Cohen, 52, of Queens, as she studied her iPhone. “Where is it?”

Andrew Jones, who got four out of five right, said auto-correct makes the mind lazy.

“Absolutely, without a doubt, it hurts spelling,” said Jones, 25, of Manhattan. “If you don’t spell it, you don’t know it."

Alisha Jones, who got three out of the five questions right, admitted her phone has become her spelling crutch.

“It definitely makes me a worse speller,” said Jones, 22, of Brooklyn. “It’s horrible.”

Jessica McArdle, who got just one answer right, said she too is an auto-correct addict.

“I use it all the time,” said McArdle, 27, of Manhattan. “My emails for work are always auto-corrected so much. I would sound stupid if I turned it off.”

Before spell-check was invented, people relied on rote memorization — or time-worn phrases designed to aid spelling like, “I before E, except after C or when sounded as A, as in neighbor or weigh.”

Now people increasingly rely on technology rather than tap what they should have learned in grade school, experts say.

“I see this more and more with my students trusting technology to spell their words for them,” said Dennis Galletta, a professor of information systems at the University of Pittsburgh.

Spell-check, he agreed, is doing to spelling what the automatic transmission has done to operating a five-speed — making it a vanishing skill.

“Part of it is laziness, part of it is that the technology makes spelling easier,” he said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/yorkers-t-write-hooked-spell-check-test-shows-article-1.1082957#ixzz1viIl4NQZ
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 11:15 am
@Ceili,
When u go FONETIC those concerns r gone.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 11:29 am
@Ceili,
Ceili : First, it's spelled "Ceillie". Get that straight. Laughing

Obviously you did not have an Irish mother who stood over you on Thursday nights with the list of spelling words in her hand saying:
"Say it, See it, Spell it, See it, Say it."

I stood over my kids on Thursday night as well.

The words you commonly misspell are wired into your brain that way.
You will have to re-wire.

Say the word you want to spell out loud.
'PROPERTY'
Picture the word floating in the air about three feet from your eyes.
'PROPERTY'
(No kidding. Imagine it floating there.)
Spell the word--out loud.
P-R-O-P-E-R-T-Y
(If you are really picturing it, it's more like reading it off a page or screen.)
Picture the word as you have just spelled it. Look at it.
PROPERTY
then
Say the word again out loud.
"PROPERTY'

Do this about six times for any word you want to spell correctly for the rest of your life.
About twenty times for the ones that need to be re-wired.

[Note: my mother could never spell 'carrot' correctly, for the whole of her life she laid it out as 'caroot' because, she said, she could not get the idea of the carrot being a 'root' out of her head. I think she told me that as a warning to get things right, right from the start.]

Joe(okay. Now you.)Nation

Ragman

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 11:33 am
@Ceili,
I understand your frustration. FWIW, I'm a very good speller but a lousy (dyslexic) typist, so here's my question for you: Is it possible that the problem to which you refer is related to typing or does it happen elsewhere, as well?

If not, maybe spelling is not as high a priority for you (as you might think) so the efforts to learn spelling rules aren't sinking in. Maybe you have a mental block? Maybe your focus is more about conveying a message quickly and not on the slowness of the mechanics of putting the letters in the correctly spelled order?

I think some of the problem about learning correct spelling is that we become, as we age, creatures of a lifelong habit. Brain wiring goes from being malleable in our youth to the brain being more rigid and wanting to remain as it is. And it is harder to get new material to sink in.

Here's my analogy about brain wiring that might apply: I tried a few years ago to lean how to play a musical instrument. Back when I was a pliable 12-yr-old, I learned how to play a clarinet (basic) in about 6 months.

While I gave it up playing (and learning music) back then, I'd like NOW to learn guitar as I know some basics about reading musical notation. However, now at age 61, I really haven't the capacity to learn a new instrument like guitar. I feel my wiring in now different and gets overloaded (perhaps it's fixed...as in rigid) and isn't willing to retain what I try to put in. I could play a chord or two, but it's not musical.

Does this help you at all?

P.S. This message had to be heavily edited as just about every other word has mistyping due to my dyslexia when typing. Yet on the other hand, I can handwrite messages without any issue at all.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 12:18 pm
@Joe Nation,
Torquemada cud not DO all that on Thursdays,
because the Spanish had FONETIC SPELLING,
so he adopted & adapted the use of fire
and iron applied to various parts of the anatomy.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 12:44 pm
@Joe Nation,
Oh yes I did and not just Thursdays.. All five of us at a table, stuck at the table, doing homework till it was done. She didn't have the same mantra, but she have a favourite. Look it up in the dictionary, though it never made sense to me.

I have done this. It works for a while and I go back to the tried and not so true. I find it interesting that this test used all the same trouble words, so I guess there are a lot more people like me out there. I wonder why these particular words are so damn difficult.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 12:55 pm
@Ceili,
I think "definitely" doesn't look right when it is spelled correctly. It's the 'e' before the 'ly'. If it's 'definitely' says your brain, why isn't it 'correctely' .

Did I spell that correctly?

Looking it up never helped me, it was the drill of seeing it floating that did it for me.
My ex-boss would shout down from his office above the hardware store floor, "Hey, how do you spell "remotely?" or "sincerely" or 'Worcestershire sauce' and I would stand there in the middle of customers reciting:
" remotely, R-E-M-O-T-E-L-Y, remotely".

I think he was just screwing with me with "Worcestershire."

Joe(da bastid)Nation
Irishk

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 01:34 pm
His dad wants one Smile
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Z-xxlRlEGEo/TOYoZHEDyCI/AAAAAAAAAJc/BM3zCtUOocw/s1600/spelling_demotivator.jpeg
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 01:58 pm
@Ceili,
nothing?
Ceili

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 02:21 pm
@Ragman,
Sorry, suffered a bit of a power outage there.. not sure what happened but I've now got a bunch of blinking lights going on.
I probably spell better on the computer than writing. I prefer the keyboard as my handwriting leaves a lot to be desired.

As for musical instruments, don't give up. It takes patience, not youth. A few years ago I took bagpipe lessons with a 70 year old man who never done more than whistle. He couldn't sing a note and decided the bagpipe was for him. As it sounds terrible unless it's playing a tune and there is only 9(ish) notes to learn. He's now in a marching band, practices twice a week and loves every minute of it.
Ceili

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 02:24 pm
@Joe Nation,
Worcestershire. Huh, somebody must of hit me with the dumb stick. I always though it was worCHestershire. So much for saying it out loud. lol
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 02:38 pm
@Ceili,
That's why you have to picture the word floating in the air.

Joe(Is this a dagger I see before me.....?)Nation
0 Replies