The A2K World Cup 2010 Striker Fantasy Game

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 04:54 pm
@fbaezer,
Me in third, and I don't fully or halfly or eighthly understand the game, though I instinctively like it. Way to get a girl's interest, though, by letting her pics do some scoring.. One of these evenings I'm going to read wikipedia or some site re game basics, tactics, what have you. Any advice on a good tutorial? Football for dummies?

On american football, when I joined fantasy football I had a background of following it for some batches of years in my earlier life, including grammar school, even if I didn't know present players.

Fb might be interested - or not - that I did read Joe McGuinness' book, The Miracle of Castel di Sangro (1999), the story of Castel di Sangro Calcio. And I read Tim Parks' various books set in Verona.. So, I get the atmospherics, just not what the hell is going on.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 08:29 am
Francis and Calamity Jane are cruising now, after HiguaĆ­n's hat-trick.
George

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 10:10 am
@fbaezer,
Yowza.
fbaezer

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 04:00 pm
And these are the standings:

1. Francis 18
2. Calamity Jane 15
3. George 6
4. ossobuco 4
5. fbaezer 2
5. Robert Gentel 2
7. Pantalones 1
8. 7 players tied with 0 points
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 04:02 pm
At least Francis has something to be happy about. Twisted Evil

Pantalones is on the scoreboard thanks to Chicharito.
(I mean, Chicharito and Barrera are sooo much better than Vela and Franco).
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 04:03 pm
@George,
Congrats to Mexico. First World Cup win over France in 7 attempts over 80 years. A draw with Uruguay would put both teams through to the next stage and would have the added side benefit of eliminating the French.
failures art

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 04:05 pm
Congrats to Mexico!

A
R
T
ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 04:10 pm
@failures art,
Whooooohooooooooooooooooooo Mexico!!!!!!

happydancehappydancehappydancehappydancehappydance
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 04:18 pm
@lmur,
At least one of Mexico's goals is dedicated to The Irish Martyrs.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 04:18 pm
(sighing deeply). Another day, another goose egg. I have no players involved in Friday's matches.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 04:26 pm
@lmur,
Oh! This is fabulous to hear. (I haven't been paying attention today).
Viva Mexico!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:36 pm
@lmur,
lmur wrote:

Congrats to Mexico. First World Cup win over France in 7 attempts over 80 years. A draw with Uruguay would put both teams through to the next stage and would have the added side benefit of eliminating the French.

It's even better.
A one goal loss by Mexico or Uruguay would force France to win by 4 goals; a two goal loss by either team would force France to win by 3, and so on. In the case of South Africa a one goal Mexican loss would force them to win by 4 goals, a one goal Uruguayan defeat would force them to win by 5: deduct one needed goal for every other goal in the Mex-Urg difference.
Other possibility for France to qualify with a 3 goal difference is by winning 4-1 (5-2) and Mexico losing 0-1 (1-2).

But anyway, the Mexico-Uruguay game promises to be fierce. They'll both be trying to avoid Argentina in the next round.
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:54 pm
@fbaezer,
Well, that certainly clears that up. Thanks, fbaezer. I think.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 12:57 am
fbaezer wrote:
At least Francis has something to be happy about. Twisted Evil

Not really, fbaezer, France's doing poorly at the moment and I see no way it can improve.

Actually, I think France's already eliminated.

If I win the first round, I'd call that a pyrrhic victory...

Btw, congrats to Mexico, they were superior by large and deserved the result...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 06:25 am
What I'd thought .... Klose Embarrassed
Francis

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 06:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Look attentively at your smiley, Walter: first it's yellow, then it becomes red..
wandeljw

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:16 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

Look attentively at your smiley, Walter: first it's yellow, then it becomes red..

Yellow card, red card --- Klose sent out --- Germany left with 10 players --- Serbia immediately scores (enough to defeat Germany).
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:52 am
USA got robbed. WTF.

A
R
T
ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:55 am
more Shocked stuff happening today

I'm digging it
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:55 am
While the red card to Klose affected many of us, the Landon Donovan goal gave Calamity Jane two points, and makes the race for the top extra tight.
0 Replies