11. George 36 (12 goals)
12. Don Camilo 30 (12 goals)
13. Walter Hinteler 27 (11 goals)
14. Realjohnboy 26 (13 goals)
15. Failures Art 1 (1 goal)
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 04:19 pm
@fbaezer,
Bravo to The Pants.. always and forever.

oh, wait..
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 04:22 pm
And the winner of the A2K World Cup 2010 Striker Fantasy Game is:

Pantalones

http://www.sporting-info.com/images/trophy-world-cup.jpg

http://www.episunsa.edu.pe/seminarios/calidad/images/ponentes/bandera-mexico.gif
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 04:24 pm
@fbaezer,
Tell us about that glop of gold..
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 04:30 pm
Congratulations, pantalones!! Very Happy

---

What an awful game to end the world cup - both teams did not deserve to be
there. The Dutch fouled to no end and the Spaniards missed ample opportunities to score. Disappointing to say the least.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 04:36 pm
@fbaezer,
1. Pantalones 54 (15 goals)
2.. fbaezer 52 (16 goals)
3. Robert Gentel 51 (16 goals)
You guys are good! Well, done!
Joe(about as close as it could have been)Nation
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 04:38 pm
Yes, such a good thread, thanks to Baez the Magnifico. (I say that not in jest, or not entirely).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 05:00 pm
@fbaezer,
Congratulations to Pantalones !!!

thank you to fbaezer

and no thanks to the Dutch for today's game

( I thought the semi-final was much more enjoyable)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 05:00 pm
Congratulations to the Spaniards. Congratulations to Pantalones.
Thank you, Fbaezer, for setting this up and watching over it for the last month.
Many of us had no interest in/knowledge of soccer/football until this thread came around.
It was fun.
spendius

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 05:02 pm
I hope the owner of the octopus had a few squid on Spain.

I thought it was a great game. The difference between it and the exhibition friendly yesterday should be noted by all sport's fans. Without an English ref it would have ended in 8 playing 7.

It was ironic that another clumsy touch by Torres should have taken the Dutch defender by surprise and caused the goal. Had Torres's pass gone to where he intended it is unlikely a goal would have resulted. So it was an inspired substitution as it turned out. The general uselessness of Fernando broke the deadlock. And, according to the Bible, his uselessness was caused by having his hair cut.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 05:13 pm
@realjohnboy,
Hoots to johnboy..

and of course, Baez, the man.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 05:16 pm
@ossobuco,
The thing about Baez, is that he teaches without lectures. And there is usually some element of joy in his posts, if only a little bit.

Viva Baez.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 05:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I guess my position on the issue of flopping (in any sport) is that if the foul isn't egregious enough to actually cause you to fall down on the ground and be out of play, players shouldn't exaggerate anything. It's an attempt to exploit technical rules instead of an honest struggle to win on the merits.

I don't think you understand football very well if you think only knocking a player to the ground should be a foul. Holding a player's shirt, jostling in the box on dead balls and many other scenarios would cede technical skill to physical play if that is the litmus test for a football foul. This is not supposed to be a full-contact sport, do you also think slapping your shooting hand, without knocking the player down, in basketball shouldn't be a foul either? Should a handball in football not be a foul either? The "no blood no foul" types of mentalities turn the game from an exercise in skill to a contest of thuggery.

Football is suffering more from fouling than flopping.

Quote:
As a contrast to today's game, I watched the Germany-Uruguay game yesterday and found the lack of flopping to be refreshing and the pace of the game to be extremely exciting.

Sure, but the blame lies with the Dutch who used fouling as a strategy to stay in the game against a vastly superior technical squad. It's no coincidence that the least skilled squads are the foulers and the most the "floppers", those without skill kick, hold and push.

Quote:
It isn't a problem which is equally spread out amongst teams, which tells me that some absolutely exploit it as a strategy.

No kidding, some teams have technical players, others rely on defensive tactics, including fouling. This game was a foul-fest, not a flopfest, and that is obvious to most who understand football. There is real flopping in football (even fake blood has been used), but also a lot of Americans who don't understand how little physical contact it takes to gain advantage over technical play.

Pele almost quit playing the world cup for this reason, teams took a "break his legs" approach to tactics. Players who can dribble get fouled in football, and the stiffer teams tend to foul more. That's why you'll see that the most notorious flopping schools are also the ones producing the most technically skilled players, and the best dribblers.

Some teams just pass around, knock down the other team's good players and score on deadballs, these tend to be the northernmost teams. Southern teams (Latin America especially) tend to play more technical and less physical football and are accused of flopping more (English league allows for much more physical play than Brazilian for example).

I prefer the art of skill, not the art of manhandling. I don't watch football to see who can foul the hardest (there are good sports for contact, football isn't one of them). I don't want to lose the Pelés of the world to those who merely have no compunction against playing dirty.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 05:33 pm
@Robert Gentel,
(learning, thanks)
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 05:38 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:
Robert Gentel wrote:
The Dutch just played the dirtiest cup final in history..

I totally agree

I thought it would be hard to beat Argentina in 1978, but I think they pulled it off.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 05:39 pm
@ossobuco,
I get it that I'm a fly like annoying person on football. That's even an amusing place to be, for me.

So, I'll just thank the batch of you. Maybe I'll know more next time.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 05:39 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Without an English ref it would have ended in 8 playing 7.

You stiffs are only forgiven for your initial contributions to football, but since then you guys have been trying to turn it into a game of dead ball plays. I won't be surprised if you guys one day try to prohibit dribbling.
dadpad

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:01 pm
Mumpad drew Spain in her workplace world cup sweep.
75.00 smackers
She's a winner is that girl
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:27 pm
Yes, I feel a little dirty about stealing fbaezer's players on the last round but this seemingly unfair play did work for me, unlike the Netherlands' dirty antics.

If I'm not mistaken I am the second mexican who wins the A2K World Cup 2010 Striker Fantasy Game. If only our national team would run with such luck.

Enormous thanks to Mr. Baez for setting this up, I copied this format to play with my friends and I finished with 48 points over there (didn't want to use same players on both sides). I'll be here on 2014 to participate on the next striker game, maybe do it on the Euro Cup?

Thanks for your congrats but special thanks to fbaezer because now I know that setting this up is no easy task.
lmur

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:06 am
@fbaezer,
Well done, Pants. A Mexican one-two (just like when they play football!).

Baileys, Powers plus whatever-you're-having-yourself available at The Shamrock Bar. Mumpad is providing the peanuts!

I'm glad that the better team won and that Iniesta (one of the Dutch team's prime targets) struck the killer blow.

Thanks fbaezer for all of your good work.

0 Replies