Finally, a better way to play Soccer --more Balls.

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:42 pm
I have come up with a way to make soccer a much better sport. More balls on the field.
Why only play with one when it would be just as easy to play with two??
One could be red and the other one blue.
Yes, you would need an additional referee, one for each ball, but that would be a small price to pay for the amount of fun and excitement having two balls on the field would bring.

At the start of the half each goalkeeper would kick one ball into the other half of the field. The players would then decide whether to play offensive or defense with one or both of the balls.

Each referee would have a different sounding signaling device, say one with the traditional whistle while the other would have a klaxon air horn.

If a foul was called on a play with the blue ball, the players controlling the red ball at the moment would have to stop. Each player, the one fouled while playing with the red ball and the player was had control of the blue ball would each take simultaneous free kicks.

(It would really be fun if both balls were in the control of a single team really close to the penalty area.)

If a goal was scored all play would stop and both balls would be kicked off again by the goalkeepers.

Let's meet this Saturday at the park and try this out.

Joe(I'll bring the Gatorade)Nation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,369 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:51 pm
@Joe Nation,
would you get extra points if you hit the guy dribbling one ball upside the head with the other one?

seems ripe for comedy to me...
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:54 pm
@Joe Nation,
I'd have your physician check the blue ball if I were you.
roger

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:03 pm
@laughoutlood,
Why? It's only going to get kicked again.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:07 pm
@Joe Nation,
What a great idea!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:48 am
I think it would be a lot of fun (which is the idea behind sports if I recall) the players would have to do a lot more thinking about while they are trying to advance a ball because every man on offense is one less on defense.

Teams would have to create teams within teams ( a pair of really good passers/jugglers designed to trap and control a ball in a particular area unless another team of three speedy strikers could be reached.)

Oh yeah, and if a team fell behind by four goals they would given a green ball that only that team could score with. The leading team would only be able to play defense against it.

Joe(more balls, that's what the people want)Nation
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 06:51 am
@Joe Nation,
Would you also increase the size of the goal? What about a 2-point line?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 07:43 am
No! No changing the size of anything. Then you'd have to start making new stuff.

Here's another change that might help: no stoppages of time. If a player is on the writhing in pain, **** him, if he can't get up his team can send out two guys with a stretcher, but NO stopping the play. Any ball which hits the stretcher or the stretcher bearers in still in play.

5 second rule: you have 5 seconds from the time the referee indicates play on to take a free kick or a corner kick. Referees can use their judgment as to when the time starts but they should yell out 5-4- 3- 2 -1 Failure to take the kick in the alloted time results in the other team being given the same 5 seconds to kick the ball back into play.
~~~
http://www.amusementhire.com.au/Images/Games/earthball2.jpg
Here's a fun game we weren't supposed to play, but did. Remember EarthBall? No one does. It was awful. The EarthBall was huge, like six feet in circumference. The 'game' was to have all the people playing keep it in the air a long time. Yea~! No points, just everybody having a good time helping each other keep the ball in the air. It was played in a big circle in the middle of a football field. (sigh)(Earthball wasn't a lot of fun)

Here's what was: Chaos Ball.
After the councilors left for their lunch we played Chaos Ball.
We had about thirty kids and an EarthBall. We decided to play whoever could get the Earthball to go out of bounds of the football field would get a point. No teams. Every man for himself.
That was amazing because one person could really couldn't move the damned thing, so you had all these little groups form in the middle of the field and then C H A O S !
The thing of it was you had to watch everybody. You and two guys would get the thing close to the sidelines (out of bounds is out of bounds, sidelines, goal lines, both counted.) when somebody else would try to punch it out ahead of you. Who ever touched the ball last got the point. So you tried to make sure you were in on the final push.
No clock, no time limit, no referees.
The scores were like Joe, Kev, Tom- 2, Mike, Ed,Phil,Cranky and Little Stevie - 1, everybody else - nothing.

The dynamics were fun to watch. Once you had some points, everybody would start working against you, so then the guys who had points would start to gang up together EXCEPT they all knew that whoever touched the ball last would score. It was the Mafia on grass. You had six guys trying to get the ball to a line and then, just before crossing, start knocking everybody out of the way. Tripping? Legal.
Flying elbow? Not a problem.
Big foot in my face? As long as my hand is still pushing this ball I don't care.
AAAIEEEEE!!

There weren't any disputes about who touched it last because there were about twenty five witnesses to every play.

No little kids were allowed.
We played Chaos Ball everyday for about a week until some little kid squealed.

Joe(I ate about a pound of dirt that week.)Nation

0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 06:58 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
I think it would be a lot of fun (which is the idea behind sports if I recall) the players would have to do a lot more thinking ...

I mis-read that as "do a lot more drinking". That would work too.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 07:07 am
the ron and fez show were talking about this a few days ago, the suggested, sensors that would randomly shoot extra balls onto the field, sort of like in pinball, or different balls that were worth different points, suddenly a ball something like a medicine ball that would be introduced to play and it would be worth 10 points
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 08:05 am
@djjd62,
Brilliant!

Maybe we could steal something from bicycle racing. In a criterion race of sixty miles or more which is held on circuit of about a mile in circumference, things can get pretty dull, so they have prizes (called primes, pronounced "preems", and are usually cash) for winning specific intermediate laps (for instance, every 10th lap).
What we would do with soccer is every once in while (three guys in booth would decide when) a bell would go off and any goal scored in the next three minutes would count double AND the last three guys to touch the ball would get $10,000.00 each.

Joe(Ding)Nation
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 02:57 am
Isn't soccer just some sort of an attempt to create a sport for people with no hand-eye coordination?
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:29 am
@gungasnake,
heh
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:55 am
@Joe Nation,
a) football (as we call this sport) isn't fun,
b) there's even a FIFA World Cup already for your idea ...
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Oops Embarrassed Your idea is bit different, I think ... Wink
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 04:22 am
I beginning to think we need a couple of guys in a booth looking out for actual goals and fake fouls.
Did you see that Red Card in yesterday's Spain vs. Portugal?

Joe(Superb Acting)Nation
0 Replies