Overzealous Coach

Linkat

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 10:06 am
Confession " I live with an overzealous coach. I don’t think this is a bad thing for the other parents as he really does develop the girls in a positive way. But it is for me. Try living with it. It seems that my life now revolves around this team. The girls are 8 -12, intercity league (so not the travel team " that comes later). I have to listen to strategy about beating the stronger teams " how to pitch around the best hitters, how to move the girls around when one or two of the better players are not available to play. I try to remind that these are young girls and that he may be a tad over thinking this strategy stuff.

The good news this will end in another month " the bad news, the travel (much more competitive) starts in a month. To top it off, my daughter was able to make the “A” team. My husband was invited to be an assistant coach. Please help me with suggestions on how to survive the next few months.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 949 • Replies: 11
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 10:25 am
@Linkat,
Ooh. Can you just kind of put a moratorium on it? "Honey, I'm interested but not THAT interested. Can you keep the updates short and sweet?"

Or is he strategizing with your daughter?

Congrats on your kid making the A team though!

I do think the really good coaches are wonderful. After a several-sport drought of good coaching, sozlet finally has a really good softball coach and whammo, her improvement is something to see.
George

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 10:49 am
Now you'll also get to hear what the head coach is doing wrong. Bonus!
engineer

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 11:10 am
@Linkat,
This probably doesn't help, but I think you described a zealous couch instead of one who is overzealous. If he's good with the girls and is promoting their growth as players and people he's in the right place. I agree with the recommendation that you ask for the reader's digest version. Something like "You know baseball is not really my thing and I don't appreciate all the fine points of the game. Can you give me the highlights?"
Linkat

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 11:26 am
@sozobe,
No - unfortunately I can't - he gets upset when I rain on his parade in a sense. I just smile and nod, while I put the grocery list together in my head.

He's usually just going over the plays, who he is going to put where - who is improving, etc. - talking directly to me. I know he is just excited and it is nice to see - for the other parents. But living with it - I mean it is little girls' softball - not the olympics.

But yes I am proud that she made it - she is the youngest and most likely the smallest. I honestly didn't think she would make it as the team is 11 and 12 year olds.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 11:27 am
@George,
Yep bonus - and what happened last year with the younger travel team was games were only during the week (as many people like to go away on weekends during the summer). Now there are already two tournaments ON WEEKENDS in July and August.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 11:30 am
@engineer,
I agree - but when you live it 24/7 it is overzealous.

For the other parents it is zealous - for the coach's wife overzealous. Thank goodness I work during the day to get a break.

Just wait - I have a younger daughter who will be joining the intercity league team next year. This is worse than basketball - other than I enjoy sitting in the sun and watching the games.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 01:01 pm
So I get a call today - at the last game I guess there was a bit of a coaches disagree - from my distance I didn't really notice - "cheating" was mentioned. These two (my hubby and other coach) are very competitive, but also friends.

The short of it - they met today briefly and made up.

The other coach too, thought my daughter got into the "A" team because of hubby's connections (although my guess is this coach has much more connections), but after seeing my daughter play this weekend he did say my daughter deserved it.

Hubby actually told the "A" team coaches (as he is friends with them) not to do any favors for my daughter as in getting her on the team that she has to earn it.

Any way the soap opera saga of softball continues....
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 01:21 pm
Please keep updating.
This brings back so many memories.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 01:32 pm
@George,
I'll reminisce in passing of the years I worked with an avid skiing fanatic. So much I didn't want to know about what were the best boots, etc. Much less the thrills of skiing off the cornice.. yet again.
That was surpassed by the years I worked with a woman who was gaga about, wait for it, Hulk Hogan and Jesse the Body, that whole pseudo drama.

I think the deal is that some people don't have adequate self monitoring re going on and on and on and on, and then, on. With your husband, I figure he is working it all out verbally to share with you, yes, but to get it out there in words for himself - it's part of his process.
Better than a silent husband..
Linkat

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 02:35 pm
@George,
Do you have a song for this saga, George?

I would venture guess this father/daughter dance will be take me out to the ballgame.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 02:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes I agree - he is a verbal type of person - I am more an internalizing until I get everything down pat.

I guess, I'll keep smiling and nodding my head (until it falls off, I suppose).
0 Replies