Mexico Calls On the US to Violate Our Constitutional Gun Rights

oralloy

Mon 24 May, 2010 01:10 am
http://www.politico.com/blogs/laurarozen/0510/Calderon_presses_Congress_on_assault_weapons.html

Intolerable! Evil or Very Mad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 8,878 • Replies: 122
Topic Closed

failures art

Mon 24 May, 2010 04:04 am
Quote:
Calderon said more than 80% of the weapons seized by Mexican authorities the past three years came from the United States.

Actually intolerable.

A
R
T
dadpad

Mon 24 May, 2010 04:11 am
Quote:
that you enforce current laws to stem the supply to criminals and consider reinstating assault weapon ban.”

Enforcing current laws is definitely intolerable
ebrown p

Mon 24 May, 2010 04:13 am
Giving money and assault weapons to Narcotrafficers, some of the most evil, vicious thugs ever, so they can earn great profits while killing families and police officers isn't intolerable?
dlowan

Mon 24 May, 2010 04:29 am
Not sure if Oralloy is parodying the US gun nuts, or is one.

Yes, not reinstating the assault weapon ban IS disgraceful.

Here's a longer quote from the article he links to:

[quote]Acknowledging the sensitivity of gun rights issues in the United States, the Harvard-educated Calderon said the violence and lethality of Mexico’s drug war significantly increased after the U.S. assault weapons ban expired a couple years before he took office.

“I fully understand the political sensitivity of this issue,” Calderon said to applause. “But I ask Congress to help us with this and to understand how important it is that you enforce current laws to stem the supply to criminals and consider reinstating assault weapon ban.”

Some 24,000 people have been killed in Mexican drug violence since Calderon took office in December 2006.

Describing more than 7,000 gun shops along the U.S. border with Mexico “where almost anyone can purchase these powerful weapons,” Calderon said more than 80% of the weapons seized by Mexican authorities the past three years came from the United States.

“Today these weapons are aimed by criminals not only at rival gangs but also at Mexican civilians and authorities,” he said. “With all due respect, you do not do enough to regulate [weapons] sales, and nothing guarantees that these criminals will not decide to challenge American authority and civilians” in the future, he warned.

The Assault Weapon Ban, signed into law by President Bill Clinton in 1994, banned the sale of certain semi-automatic military style guns and ammunition clips with more than 10 rounds. Under intense pressure from gun rights groups and Congressional supporters last year, President Barack Obama backed off on earlier calls to try to reinstate the Assault Weapons Ban.

One former senior U.S. narcotics and law enforcement official called the decision not to reinstate the ban disgraceful.

“There’s no question at all that a tremendous amount of violence in Mexico and Central America is fueled by the export of guns by the United States,” the former senior told POLITICO on condition of anonymity.[/quote]
oralloy

Mon 24 May, 2010 04:33 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
Quote:
Calderon said more than 80% of the weapons seized by Mexican authorities the past three years came from the United States.

Actually intolerable.

A
R
T

TKO???

Mexico needs to be made to understand that we will NEVER give up our freedom.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 24 May, 2010 04:34 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
Quote:
that you enforce current laws to stem the supply to criminals and consider reinstating assault weapon ban.”

Enforcing current laws is definitely intolerable

Depends on the laws in question. Bans on assault weapons are definitely intolerable. Other laws, perhaps less so.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 24 May, 2010 04:35 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
Giving money and assault weapons to Narcotrafficers, some of the most evil, vicious thugs ever, so they can earn great profits while killing families and police officers isn't intolerable?

He is calling for the end of American freedom. That cannot be tolerated.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 24 May, 2010 04:39 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Not sure if Oralloy is parodying the US gun nuts, or is one.

Derogatory slurs are not nice.

dlowan wrote:
Yes, not reinstating the assault weapon ban IS disgraceful.

Americans have the RIGHT to have assault weapons. Banning them is a CRIME!
plainoldme

Mon 24 May, 2010 04:40 am
I get it! Orally wants to die but can not bring him/her self to commit suicide and so promotes the mass distribution of guns.
oralloy

Mon 24 May, 2010 04:43 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
I get it! Orally wants to die but can not bring him/her self to commit suicide and so promotes the mass distribution of guns.

No. What I want is for Mexico to stop trying to take away my freedom.
dlowan

Mon 24 May, 2010 04:51 am
@oralloy,
Aaah...now your silly gun laws are slaughtering people in other countries too.

Now THERE'S a line you have no right to cross.

While you only kill each other, well, it's mad, but it's your country (except for the huge numbers of USians who support reasonable gun laws), but you join all the other criminal weapons dealers when you allow your stupid laws to kill others.

Pity, I really thought you were doing a parody.

Instead you ARE one.
oralloy

Mon 24 May, 2010 05:02 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Aaah...now your silly gun laws are slaughtering people in other countries too.

That is wrong in a couple ways.

First, it is not our freedom that causes the killings. Rather it is the killers themselves who are responsible for the killings.

Second, America is the gangs' only source of FN 57 handguns that tear through Kevlar, but the world is flooded with assault rifles. The gangs would be fully stocked on assault rifles no matter what our policy was.

dlowan wrote:
Now THERE'S a line you have no right to cross.

America is free and we are going to remain free. And NO ONE is going to take our freedom away from us.

dlowan wrote:
While you only kill each other, well, it's mad, but it's your country (except for the huge numbers of USians who support reasonable gun laws), but you join all the other criminal weapons dealers when you allow your stupid laws to kill others.

Pity, I really thought you were doing a parody.

Instead you ARE one.

Hardly. What I am is someone who cares about freedom.
oralloy

Mon 24 May, 2010 05:30 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
(except for the huge numbers of USians who support reasonable gun laws),

I missed commenting on that first time around.

There is nothing even remotely reasonable about violating our right to have assault weapons.

These people are traitors to American freedom, and in my view they should be dragged down to Guantanamo with the terrorists.
0 Replies

djjd62

Mon 24 May, 2010 05:43 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
America is free and we are going to remain free. And NO ONE is going to take our freedom away from us.

Obama still has a couple of years left......... so with a little luck, May 1st might be the new July 4th

Twisted Evil
oralloy

Mon 24 May, 2010 05:48 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Obama still has a couple of years left......... so with a little luck, May 1st might be the new July 4th

Twisted Evil

While Obama would love to violate our right to have assault weapons, the American people will not stand for it.

America will remain free in spite of Mexico and in spite of Obama.
0 Replies

failures art

Mon 24 May, 2010 06:38 am
Yes, it's TKO. I switched handles few weeks back.

Oralloy - Let me get this straight. 80% of seized weapons in Mexico, are bought in the USA, and that it has gone up since the ban was lifted. Additionally, the drug runners being heavily armed is part of the drug trade into the USA. In light of this, you feel that having a ban on assault weapons is tantamount to a loss of American freedom?

How about we put the assault weapons ban back on, and you still own and operate guns legally? While we're at it: Stop whining.

You don't need an assault weapon more than the people who are losing their lives need the drug cartels to not have an assault weapon.

A
R
T
oralloy

Mon 24 May, 2010 06:53 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
Oralloy - Let me get this straight. 80% of seized weapons in Mexico, are bought in the USA, and that it has gone up since the ban was lifted. Additionally, the drug runners being heavily armed is part of the drug trade into the USA. In light of this, you feel that having a ban on assault weapons is tantamount to a loss of American freedom?

A ban on assault weapons is a flat out violation of our constitutional rights. It will not be tolerated.

failures art wrote:
How about we put the assault weapons ban back on, and you still own and operate guns legally? While we're at it: Stop whining.

Never! We will NOT be repealing freedom in America.

failures art wrote:
You don't need an assault weapon more than the people who are losing their lives need the drug cartels to not have an assault weapon.

I don't have to need an assault weapon. I have the right to have one if I choose to have one.

Besides, the world is flooded with automatic rifles. US policy will not prevent drug cartels from having assault rifles. About the only weapon the gangs need the US for as their only supplier, is the FN 57.

(But even if US policy really would make a difference, the answer would still be no.)
failures art

Mon 24 May, 2010 07:02 am
@oralloy,
How is a ban on an assault weapons a violation of our constitutional rights? Is it a violation to ban ownership of chemical weapons, cruise missiles, or flame throwers?

You're intentionally being ignorant of the outcome of letting the ban expire, or you don't give a damn about how this is effecting people's lives in Mexico.

A
R
T
oralloy

Mon 24 May, 2010 08:22 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
How is a ban on an assault weapons a violation of our constitutional rights?

We have the right to have them.

failures art wrote:
Is it a violation to ban ownership of chemical weapons, cruise missiles, or flame throwers?

No. But there is no right to have them.

I don't think there are many bans on flame throwers though.

failures art wrote:
You're intentionally being ignorant of the outcome of letting the ban expire, or you don't give a damn about how this is effecting people's lives in Mexico.

I don't think letting the ban expire had much impact. The world is flooded with assault rifles. Gangs would get them from somewhere else if not from us.

The only things they get from the US, that they could not get somewhere else, are those FN 57 pistols that chew up Kevlar.

And I also think the gangs would kill in some other way if they didn't have assault rifles, so it wouldn't make much difference even if it was possible to cut off their weapons supplies.

But it is certainly true that America's right to have assault weapons trumps every single life in Mexico, so if it really did make a difference, that would just be too bad. (Although I might be willing to tolerate some attempts to interdict gun smuggling so long as it did not impact ordinary gun ownership.)