Itchy Scalp Help

farmerman

Sat 22 May, 2010 04:28 pm
@plainoldme,
any chemicals with "alkyl" or "benzyl" or "lauryl' are surfactants ( detergents ) with great water wetting power. Because they are active at extremely low concentrations, they are hard to wash completely out of your hair. If you do use detergent based poos, Id suggest a spray bottle of vinegar water to spray on your head which will then get rid of all detergents by comlexing them and then diluting with the shower water.
Chumly

Sat 22 May, 2010 04:58 pm
@farmerman,
Do you have any views on well water minerals exacerbating scalp itch and are surfactants the equivalent of emulsifiers in this context?
ossobuco

Sat 22 May, 2010 06:37 pm
@Chumly,
I used to have an itchy scalp - what worked for me was stopping shampooing all the time. Now I shampoo about every fifth day, and the problem disappeared, and so did a lot of the oiliness.
farmerman

Sat 22 May, 2010 07:15 pm
@Chumly,
Usually well water that is very hard will precipitate all kinds of stuff as soon as the water hits the air of your shower head. I dont know whether the positive ions (metals and alkalis) can actually make the itchiness worse but I wouldnt be surprised if it was so.

farmerman

Sat 22 May, 2010 07:28 pm
@farmerman,
****, forgot, AN emulsifier is also a surfactant except it doesnt disperse and allow free mixing of the two immiscibles. It forms a third phase called an emulsion or "gunk"
0 Replies

dadpad

Sat 22 May, 2010 07:53 pm
Quote:
So I guess a moderate amount of sun and perhaps vitamin D might help.

This one.
cut your hair short...really short and get out in the sun.
If you work indoors in an airconditioned atnosphere all day bring some plants into your office. The plants should have lots of leaves or big leaves. take your breaks and eat your lunch out of doors preferably in the sunshine.
Chumly

Sat 22 May, 2010 10:24 pm
@dadpad,
Since I’ve been inside all the time and teaching, my scalp itch has gotten worse. I’m in the Pacific Northwest (to be exact the Canadian equivalent) so the chances of getting regular sun are very limited!

So maybe a sun lamp is in order?
0 Replies

Chumly

Sat 22 May, 2010 10:30 pm
@farmerman,
Why would the metals and alkalis be missing electrons in their outer orbits?
0 Replies

Chumly

Sat 22 May, 2010 10:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Strangely and oppositely to your circumstances, I never had an itchy scalp until the last few years, the only change that comes to mind is now I'm inside all the time teaching, and it's comparatively sedentary.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Sun 23 May, 2010 09:26 am
@Chumly,
Look for the words lauryl or laura. Those are sulfates.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Sun 23 May, 2010 09:27 am
@farmerman,
Vinegar is the miracle cleaning ingredient for everything.
0 Replies

Chumly

Sat 7 Aug, 2010 10:58 am
@CalamityJane,
I am very pleased to report that honey alleviated virtually all of my itchy scalp symptoms. I am very much obliged CalamityJane for your assistance! I recommend anyone with similar itchy scalp symptoms to apply the honey regime. In fact it was the only thing that had long-term consequential effect and I tried all the commercially available shampoos, as well as a large number of home-remedies and a number of doctor visits.
cicerone imposter

Sat 7 Aug, 2010 11:05 am
@Chumly,
I have the same problem with scalp itch, so I went to the drugstore and bought "Scalp Relief" to stop intense scalp itch.
I never heard of using honey for my scalp, but the next time I have scalp itch, I'm going to try it out, because I hate to use "drugs" when it's not necessary.

3-hours, heh?
Chumly

Sat 7 Aug, 2010 11:09 am
@cicerone imposter,
Well, it seems to have greater efficacy if left on longer, but shorter periods do work. Once the symptoms appear, do try and be strict and consistent in its application for best results.

Call me silly but I am sooo much happier not having to feel that %#& itch!
cicerone imposter

Sat 7 Aug, 2010 11:11 am
@Chumly,
Thank you; will follow your advise.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sat 7 Aug, 2010 12:30 pm
@Chumly,
I am glad it worked for you too, Chumly. I have used the honey mixture whenever I needed it and it just works wonders.
Chumly

Sat 7 Aug, 2010 03:31 pm
@CalamityJane,
I'm surprised, delighted and appreciative; especially in light of all the other remedies I've tried!
0 Replies

Chumly

Sun 15 Aug, 2010 10:49 am
Sundays are honey hair day...Happy Sunday Honey Hair Day!
tsarstepan

Sun 15 Aug, 2010 11:14 am
@Chumly,
Before you do that let me suggest you check all of your closets and under every bed for any stray bears. Make sure you deadbolt your exterior doors as well.

You know how those bears love their honey.
Chumly

Sun 15 Aug, 2010 02:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
Stray bears are in abundance but they seem more interested in our outside garbage cans than my honey soaked cranium.