hawkeye10

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:27 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
LIBERALISM; a politcal philosophy based on progress, the essential goodness of the human race, and the AUTONOMY OF THE INDIVIDUAL and STANDING FOR THE PROTECTION OF POLITICAL AND CIVIL LIBERTIES. (emphasis added).
does not square very well with what self described liberals do when they get into power. The nanny state is completely contrary to librealism. PC Laws violate everything that Liberals claim that they stand for.
Pamela Rosa

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:58 am
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/68/Joe_Sestak_Congressional_Photo.jpg/230px-Joe_Sestak_Congressional_Photo.jpg
Occupation Politician
Religion Roman Catholic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Sestak
plainoldme

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:31 am
@hawkeye10,
Spoken like a true conservative.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:35 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You do not know how to form an analogy.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:25 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
You do not know how to form an analogy.
By your definition, it is any comparison that makes deviants look good.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:37 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
David, that is total bullshit. Liberals do not deviate from theConsitution.
U are 100% ignorant of what u r talking about.
If thay do not deviate, then are CONSERVATIVES, orthodox, because thay did not DEVIATE.

MontereyJack wrote:
Conservatives have no monopoly on it.
OBVIOUSLY we DO, because we refuse to cheat,
whereas U insist on lying and cheating about what the Constitution means.
The conservative position is being LITERAL and rigidly non-deviant.

MontereyJack wrote:
The more accurate definition of a conservative, particularly in your case, is someone who has never learned anything new.
U merely display your ignorance of basic concepts.

David
rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Literal based on who's interpretation?
plainoldme

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:55 pm
On another candidate, here is Rand Paul as himself on himself:

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2010/05/20/world_according_to_rand/slideshow.html
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:59 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
And I commend to your attention, David, Merriam Webster's definition of "liberalism",
That was obviously written by a liberal who was eager to heap praise upon his own philosophy,
but displaying ignorance of simple, basic logic.

MontereyJack wrote:
which fits Americans who are liberals, and is right straight down the line founding father beliefs,
The Founders were not only liberals RELATIVE TO AUTHORITARIAN MONARCHY, but thay were RADICAL therefrom.

MontereyJack wrote:

far more than modern conservatism is:
LIBERALISM; a politcal philosophy based on progress,
Jack, in your flagrant ignorance, u have ASSUMED what "progress" is without defining it.
Progress can be movement in many directions, some of which
are horrible, e.g., it was PROGRESS thru time as the Russians went from Monarchy into communist despotism,
and it was also PROGRESS thru time when the Germans went from the Weimar Republic into the 3rd Reich,
but in both cases that which was PROGRESSIVE was horrible, despicable slavery.

The word "Progress" means only getting closer to, or further along the way.
That is not comprehensible without our knowing WHAT it is getting closer to.
Your dictionary definition ignorantly ASSUMES that it is something (undefined) that we all agree is desirable.

MontereyJack wrote:
the essential goodness of the human race, and
the AUTONOMY OF THE INDIVIDUAL and
STANDING FOR THE PROTECTION OF POLITICAL AND CIVIL LIBERTIES.[/b] (emphasis added).

That's liberals. That's the Founding Fathers, too. And the Constitution.
Roosevelt-Kennedy liberals emphatically REJECT
AUTONOMY OF THE INDIVIDUAL. If thay accepted it,
then we 'd have no problem.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 02:22 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
On another candidate, here is Rand Paul as himself on himself:

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2010/05/20/world_according_to_rand/slideshow.html
I 'd love to be able to vote for Dr. Rand Paul against Obama!!!!!

I understand that he supports Ayn Rand,
with whom I agree for the most part.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 02:44 pm
@rosborne979,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Literal based on who's interpretation?
Literal based on the interpretation of someone who is ORTHODOX.
As u know, the USSC is the final arbiter in America.

David
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 02:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That is the most narrowly constructed, narrow-minded definition of Liberalism that I have ever seen and the least founded in reality. If you define liberalism as deviation, then everyone with whom you disagree is a deviant and therefore a liberal.

As for you self-inflating view that conservatives refuse to cheat, let me tell you one real life anecdote and bolster it with a statistic. When my younger brother was looking for a new spiritual outlet and simultaneously looking for a way to express his acting talent, he learned of a conservative Baptist church that built a theatre. He joined and was immediately cast in a play. He left as soon as the play's run ended because the theatre troupe used rehearsals as an excuse to have affairs. Now, the divorce rate is higher in the Bible Belt than it is in the bluest of states, MA. There are several reasons for this: poorly educated partners who marry too young are included but . . . the real reason for the high divorce rate is the amount of extra-marital cheating that goes on.

If conservatives can not be true to their live partners, they can not be true to anyone.

Now, I need the help of someone who has studied linguistics. There is a way of speaking that involves setting aside an untruth is a specific way . . . this is done to create an impression that the untruth is a truth.

An example of this was when george bush declared his candidacy, he followed the order of his handlers and described himself as a "compassionate conservative."

Now, back when I was in grad school the first time and was a young career woman, I would meet men who told me,"I'm socially liberal but fiscally conservative." I would never give them my phone number because I knew they were lying. During the time of the Civil Rights Movement, the Black Power Movement, the anti-Vietnam era, following the birth of the Peace Corps, no young man wanted to be seen as against equal rights, hating black progress, in favor of the war or as a "Know Nothing" so he would pretend to be liberal, but . . .

Well, bush did the same thing. He pretended to not be as nasty as most American righties are. That is essentially cheating. He represented himself as kind hearted and caring.

Now a similar sort of cheating was the sort that Condoleeza Rice testified before Congress prior to vote to bullying attack on Iraq. Rice used the words "mushroom cloud."

No one with honor would lie as bush and rice did.

As for your statement to MontereyJack that he is ignorant of basic concepts, that in and of itself is not really a lie . . . largely because it is your opinion that MJ is ignorant. However, as MJ's writing evidences, he has a wider perspective on government than you do and his definitions are the widely accepted ones. So, the only thing that MJ is ignorant of is the definitions that exist within your own mind.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 02:51 pm
@rosborne979,
David only accepts his own interpretation. As Monterey told David, David refuses to learn anything new.

David knows almost nothing about politics.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 02:52 pm
@Pamela Rosa,
I'm mystified by this post. Are we supposed to care that this man is a Roman Catholic and, if so, why?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 02:54 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
The only individualism you accept is gun ownership.

I, for one, think gun ownership is childish, stupid, dangerous, unnecessary and, in political terms, a red herring.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 11:57 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
The only individualism you accept is gun ownership.

I, for one, think gun ownership is childish, stupid, dangerous, unnecessary and, in political terms, a red herring.
Yeah, that's because there is no crime, right?
plainoldme

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 12:56 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Agree away! I recognize Ayn for what she is, a rather sadistic and deluded nut case. I just wish her partner in crime had been someone other than Rose Wilder Lane.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 12:59 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Actually, no one needs a gun. I have never needed one. I have never known anyone who owns a gun . . . I have met some people but that is not knowing them. I just can not understand the importance you attach to gun ownership.

It seems silly and at least a century out of date.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 01:00 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
BTW, is your statement here supposed to make sense?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:50 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Actually, no one needs a gun. I have never needed one. I have never known anyone who owns a gun . . . I have met some people but that is not knowing them. I just can not understand the importance you attach to gun ownership.

How many people do you know who own a printing press? Okay, I take that back, because today almost every computer has a printer. But how many people did you know 20 years ago who owned a printing press? And what does that number say about the importance of the First Amendment freedom of the press?
0 Replies