Opportunity is knocking, but I’m not looking

Linkat

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 07:40 am
There are two recruiters who have placed me at positions in the past that I keep in touch with. As I consider them both professional, I’ve given them some help before in finding people who may be interested in a position. These are the only two that I would do this with.

Well, one of them called me the other day. She had a position she thought I would be a good fit. I am not looking and I am happy for the most part with my company and job. She told me the salary that the company would be “comfortable” with paying " it would be a 17% increase in my pay (if they were to offer me at that salary). She must have thought I had a higher salary. OK " so now she caught my interest.

With limited info here are the Pros and cons. Pros " sounds like a more visible position, a little different and more varied job, higher pay, smaller company (which I personally like) mid size company rather than very large.

Cons " location (I can now drive and have subsidized parking), I really do not want to take public transportation and if I drive and park " parking would most likely be extremely expensive, this is important to me for work life balance reasons (kids activities). I’m happy here, I have seniority, fully vested, etc. I guess the unknown.

So should I pursue? I would have tons of questions " huge is benefits, bonus pay, if any. Salary might be higher, but I do get a pretty good bonus that pushes my salary up to just below the base the recruiter mentioned, with additional cost of parking and benefits package, it could actually end up being less salary.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 6,315 • Replies: 20
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 08:26 am
I think you should interview with them. It could be something great but you won't know if you don't look into it. If it doesn't look good you can keep your current job without kicking yourself and wondering if you missed an opportunity.
Linkat

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 08:45 am
@boomerang,
yeah I'm kinda leaning towards that - but it is work you know to prepare and crap like that - taking time off from work and stuff -

I'm also gonna ask around - I know alot of people in this industry so hopefully I can get a good take on the company and culture which is huge for me. I may be able to get info on who I would report to - this is also important to me - the nice thing is, I'd be reporting to some one at a high level. I like that as usually that gives you lots of independence in your work.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 09:22 am
So I did a little research on line - thought I could find the person potentially that I would report to - I know the title and in the mutual fund business sometimes the person may be on the SAI/annual reports as an officer - that person was not listed, but most likely who this person would report to was - and voila I know him.

Problem is I haven't worked with him in over 17 years. Not sure if he would remember me as I was quite young and did not directly report to him. I did some aspects of my work with him, but I was young enough and at a low enough level at the time and a short enough stint that he may not remember me.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 10:00 am
It is a lot of work to get ready for an interview, especially when you're pretty comfortable where you are.

The downside of interviewing is if the company you're with now discovers you're looking around. Since you know someone at that company, chances are he knows someone at yours.
Linkat

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 11:30 am
@boomerang,
My experience though at this - is people are respectful of this and don't talk. I've been on both sides of this. You also can get yourself in huge trouble - in my business people take confidenciality very seriously. In my past, my employer has been surprised in most cases when I've left.

The only time I've heard of this being revealed was for internal positions. Although you do have to be careful if you start interviewing alot and leave early frequently, take long lunches. In the past, I've always just taken a vacation day. That way I am not rushed in the interview or worried about sneaking out, dressing in a suit where we are business casual, etc.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 11:34 am
Can you use these outside offers to try and negotiate your current pay upward? I have successfully done this in the past.

Cycloptichorn
Linkat

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 03:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Unlikely - I work for a large company and waaay too much red-tape. Put it to you this way - I just checked the merit awards (which are given in the summer not year end at my company) and I should be lucky to get 2%.

We have already lost one good worker because of non-promotions even when they more than deserve them. And I may soon be losing another (if he gets the job).

Unfortunately our pay/raises are not the best in the industry, our bonus are good and there are certain perks that I like here - it is for the most part a pleasant place to work (over than the current workload).
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 03:41 pm
@Linkat,
I'd go for the interview and see what they have to offer. You're probably
going into this much more relaxed as if you actually were job hunting, therefore
you're more inclined to ask for a higher salary and fringe benefits as you normally would. If they meet your expectations above and beyond, the ball is still in your court. So far, nothing is lost or gained from an interview alone.
Linkat

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 03:47 pm
@CalamityJane,
It actually isn't in my strongest area (where I have the most experience), but it would be at least on the surface, a more interesting type of position.

And who knows, they may not want to interview me! Although I do more than meet the basic requirements. But what the h*ll, they seem to have a better health insurance although they do not specify how much they pay of it. It is a better plan. They are vague on the amount of vacation time which I am concerned on as I just reached the 4 weeks mark (and this is important to me).

Some of the benefits actually sound better on the surface - again no exact dollars or percentages are mentioned, just what they offer.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 04:00 pm
@Linkat,
Well those are all negotiating tools, Linkat. As I said, you can interview and see
what they've got to offer and go from there. No risk - no gain!
Linkat

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 04:21 pm
@CalamityJane,
I am working on my resume this weekend.

And I will not be the horror story interviewee as I have mentioned in my other interview nightmare thread.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 04:32 pm
@Linkat,
Hehe, you probably will take notes in what they did wrong being the interviewers, and if the job doesn't suit you, you could tell them what they did wrong in interviewing you Very Happy
Joeblow

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 05:01 pm
@Linkat,
I’m not sure that your title doesn’t say it all, Linkat.

I was never subject to being head hunted, except for a board position on a largish field related organisation in my province. I’d attended as a speaker on a symposium of sorts, and caught their attention. It was flattering… yeah, but, no thanks…despite any perceived prestige and no matter how it might look on a resume. No time, no inclination. I turned them down flat.

But, I did mull over an internal promotion just a few years ago. My E.D. asked me to go into the field, first, doing stuff that he used to do, and I did that for a while, but wasn’t entranced. He then asked me to attend and evaluate a training program in my area, which I did, with two others who were eyeballing it for their own area people, also hand selected. He then created three management positions, and called me at home one night to encourage me to apply. I know which position he wanted me to take. I declined. The other two are now management for a different division.

The thing is/was, I had a pretty full life outside the office. I already had a decent job. I did think about it, it was significantly better pay, but once I had made the decision to decline, I felt " relieved. I’ve accepted that I’m not on a rising star path. I’m good with that. Seven weeks vacation, good benefit package, no nights, no weekends, all stat holidays, and somebody else has the headaches. I’m good at what I do, I like my job most days, and, I’m freeeeeee. Money’s not everything. I’m as secure as one can be in this economy. I’m lucky. I know it.

No kidding. I felt relief.

Did I settle? Some might think so.

Having said that, I think you should accept an interview.

Your mileage may vary.

Smile

Good Luck!

Linkat

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 11:31 am
@Joeblow,
Great - actually this woman knows my work history pretty well. I've kept contact with her for over 15 years so it isn't just the job title she is going after.

I value alot of the things you do - and to me it wouldn't just be the more money - that is why I will be careful and make sure I ask questions so I know what to expect way beyond just the job responsibilities. I was hoping (and maybe I will know) that I know some one there.

I am concerned about working too many hours - I do now so it isn't an issue working overtime, but I do not want to go into the office on weekends. I will bring work home though (I do now). I prefer flexible over amount of hours. For example tonight I will work late, but tomorrow is my daughters' softball game so I will leave early or right on time. If there is an event at school, I like the flexible time to come in late or leave early (or even on a rare occassion, leave and come back in).

I will need to find an affordable place to park as I do not want to take public transporation - stuff like that is also key for me.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 11:32 am
@CalamityJane,
I'd like to - but you must not ever burn bridges - so I will here and in my mind, but directly to them.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 11:53 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
I’m happy here.....
I found this interesting in what you wrote. I think that having a job where a person is happy is more important than pay and other opportunities. What will you do if you go to the interview, get the new job and end up being unhappy?
Linkat

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 02:45 pm
@TTH,
I should have preferenced it in the sense, I am generally happy here. I have worked at several companies within the financial sector and understand that I will not be 100% happy any where. Yes, there are things that I would like to change where I am if I could, but also realize it is certainly better than many places.

Also, why I would want to see if there is some one I know that currently works there to see if I would like the environment better, the company better.

Overall on the surface, the job is a better job. The extra higher pay and potential to be a better job and also the potential that it is smaller entices me. I've worked with a smaller company before and liked the working atmosphere better than I where I currently work.

If I wasn't happy where I am currently, I may be actively looking (maybe not as the current economic environment doesn't have many positions) or would have jumped at this immediately.

I plan on having a series of questions as well as seek out with others I know to see what they know (on the inside) of this company. I know many many people in the industry and should be able to get a good picture of my fit and happiness there.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:00 am
Just an update - they liked my resume, but there was an internal candidate so they didn't know if they would interview outside. Haven't heard so my guess is they went internally.

Nothing ventured - nothing gained sort of thing.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:49 am
heh.
0 Replies