Are We To Become A Christian Fundamentalist Nation?

georgeob1

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:49 am
Well Bi Polar, Blatham has let the truth out. I should note that in that parallel universe,I am a bit larger. (Of course in our universe those differences are magnified.)

I have been wracking my brain to find a suitable riposte to "chubby salt-encrusted nincompoop". Nothing sufficiently vicious has yet come to mind. I'll confess to salty, and there are those who have thought me a jerk. Hell, I'm even 10 pounds heavier than than my fighting weight. Never mind.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:55 am
blatham wrote:
There is a book out on the history of marriage, but I haven't read it. I'm not sure at what point the church got it's hands in on this one. But I don't accept church authority on any matter at all. I respond to many religious people, but for reasons of their principles or courage or modesty (rare, I know), but I don't accept any element of superior knowledge or status in the institutions.

Truth resounds - "Christianity" will be replaced by the neo myth, some time in the future Smile
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 11:17 am
http://www.whitehouse.org/initiatives/posters/images/tn_be_afraid.jpg
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 11:33 am
I wondered about that "chubby" idea, george. Laugh. So, it's 10 pounds over fighting weight, is it? And larger? Apparently both you and Blatham are quite proud of what you have........this is a good thing, I'd say.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 11:42 am
Tartarin wrote:
Quote:
and I'd say we're damn fools if we don't draw the line between honest faith and the politics of religion.

Tartarin, this is an excellent point. And concisely stated. Faith (honest or not) and the politics or religion are quite different. Actually, it's not the faith of the religious right political operatives that I object to. It's their methods of politics. I believe they are lying to the American public about their agenda. Once their people are in positions of power, then their agenda becomes more obvious. The voters do not really know what they're voting for. And this is against the rules in a democracy, or if it isn't, it should be. Candidates for office should be honest about their intentions and their motives, and if they aren't then it's cheating.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 11:51 am
So, when will the left start with the neo-catholic jargon to keep in time with the neo-conservative movement?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 11:52 am
george,

Could we then turn our attention to the methods of the religious right wing? Can you point to the equivilent strategy on the part of the left? If you can, and I agree that it's the same, then I'll agree with you that it's wrong no matter who is doing it. Or I agree with you anyway. The method, whether practiced by the left or the right, is undemocratic and should be exposed for what it is. The fact that the current religious right wing is so organized around this method is the point. If the left were as successful as the right is at present, I would agree that it would be an equal threat to our democratic form of government.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 11:54 am
can you tell me more of what you mean, McGentrix? Not sure about your meaning.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 01:24 pm
Au! LOL!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 02:02 pm
Georgebob and blatham

glad to hear you guys are buds, and don't worry about me. I get along great with the biker crew, being a heavy metal guy and all.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 03:39 pm
Quote:

Moore joins fight over Decalogue

WINDER, Ga.(AP) -- Suspended Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore said Thursday (Nov. 6) that north Georgia's Barrow County will be the place to lead the fight to keep the Ten Commandments in public buildings.

"This issue will resonate from state to state beginning here. There will be such a loud noise of discontent that no court will be able to refuse it," said Moore, whose appeal to have a Ten Commandments monument back on display in Alabama's judicial building was rejected this week by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Moore jumped into Barrow County's battle to keep a framed parchment copy of the Ten Commandments in the courthouse by appearing at an afternoon rally to raise money for the county's legal defenses. The county is being sued By athe American Civil Liberties Union which wants the Ten Commandments removed from the courthouse.

Lola<

Be on the lookout for Moore and his rowdy Christians in your state.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 04:32 pm
Will

This ten commandments issue and the Partial Birth issue will be pushed front and center for the election. The goal will be to motivate christians to get out and vote. The PR line will be 'church and family under attack from the courts/liberal agenda'. Both are so perfectly designed for this function that one might even suspect their timing.

People are easier to coordinate and motivate during an emergency, whether that emergency is real or simply perceived to be real. George, for one, believes there is some level of emergency which arises from the decline of faith, but at least his notions are somewhat sophisticated (note the qualifier, george) but the thousands of folks out on the street outside cheering for Moore have got poop for brains on any appreciation of the principles behind the separation ammendment. May they get herpes.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 05:02 pm
blatham

Quote:
Thousands of folks out on the street outside cheering for Moore have got poop for brains on any appreciation of the principles behind the separation ammendment.

If it were, instead of the ten commandments, the symbol of some other religion possibly Moslem do you think they then would appreciate those principles and be championing them. Separation of church and state is a great principle as long as it's someone else's church.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:59 pm
But, Au. Real Americans are really Christians. In which god do we trust? any ol' god? Naw...!!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 07:02 pm
TARTARIN
Why didn't anyone tell me I am not a real American.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 07:39 pm
LOL, Blatham
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 07:44 pm
over on the other related thread, I just made the point (or tried to) that when the criterion for fitness for office becomes membership in a particular faith, then we've got trouble.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 08:54 pm
blatham wrote:
This ten commandments issue and the Partial Birth issue will be pushed front and center for the election. The goal will be to motivate christians to get out and vote.

blatham<

I am in complete agreement with you here. Let's not forget other non-issues such as same-sex marriages, prayer in public schools, the Pledge of Allegiance flap and, voila, gun control.

These issues are created by Republicans to provide a smokescreen for the real issue which is whether or not Dubya is fit to be president for four more years.

The controversy over the Ten Commandments will really heat up later this month when Roy Moore appears before the Alabama Court of the Judiciary which will decide if Moore, now suspended, should be removed entirely from the office of Alabama chief justice.

Politicos in Alabama seem to believe that should Moore be dismissed as chief justice, then his next move will be a run for a U.S. Senate seat. Moore will not go gently into that good night.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:19 pm
Me neither, Au, but then you knew that already!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:48 pm
Here in Canada, the more right wing party, the Conservatives, were decimated a decade ago, and they have not recovered. The Liberals have had complete run of the place. Presently however, there is a move afoot to consolidate the Conservative party with a fairly new, and further right party, the Alliance. The Alliance contains the fundamentalist contingent here.

Many of the more powerful and old guard Conservatives are fighting this amalgamation, because they understand the devil that comes packaged, a devil which will fundamentally reframe philosophies and principles, and they are speaking out against it.

This amalgamation is apparently being pushed by, among others, Brian Mulrooney, the Conservative whose government led to the decimation of his party. He's tied in to the neocon crowd in New York through business and social connections.

Polls suggest that this new party will be significantly more of a challenge to the Liberals than either of the two component parties if they were to remain independent. Mulrooney, though a sleeze ball of classic dimensions, is not stupid. Get power, work out the details later.

Already, the voices urging this amalgamation are talking about the issues for the next election...guess what....abortion and activist courts.
0 Replies