Why aren't we talking about "Draw Muhammad Day?" May 20th

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 03:30 pm
I did a search on A2K for this topic, and came up with nothing.

Personally, I feel that in the US, free speech is fundamental to our way of life, and this freedom should NOT be silenced by death threats. Especially ones related to a cartoon.

One rather odd thing about this whole story (Google, anyone?) is that South Park, the cartoon, depicted Muhammad in 2001, with no death threats.

In 2010, their producers censored their cartoon, due to death threats from Muslims (in the US).

Here's the latest YouTube video from "Thunderf00t" (those are zeros), to whom I've subscribed for a couple of years now:

I very much enjoy "Thunderf00t's" videos, esp his rather long series on "Why Do People Laugh at Creationists?" He has tons of videos: Click on his username to see more; this is just the latest one.

I DO, in fact, plan to draw Muhammad (stick figure, just standing there) on May 20th, and post it to my Facebook account. Do you?

Edit: Shouldn't we in the US be talking about this? Or do we have too many other problems right now to care?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 26 • Views: 25,293 • Replies: 497

View best answer, chosen by BorisKitten
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 03:37 pm
Quote:
I DO, in fact, plan to draw Muhammad (stick figure, just standing there) on May 20th, and post it to my Facebook account. Do you?

No. I may not be religious in my worship of a figurehead, symbol or idol, but that doesn't mean I don't have some respect for the figureheads, symbols or idols that others choose to worship religiously. I may have the freedom to denigrate their symbols, but I also have the freedom to choose not to do so. I choose not to.

By the way, it has been talked about in at least one other thread.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 03:44 pm
@BorisKitten,
We did talk about it -- Lusatian's topic on the subject, forget what it's called. (Something about "South Park" and "death.")

edit: found it:

http://able2know.org/topic/144132-1

I posted a link to this ("Draw Mohammed Day"), and I like the idea behind it -- something goofy and benign to show solidarity with the South Park dudes.

But -- and yes, there's a but -- I dislike how it thumbs its nose at Islam in general, rather than just extremists. It IS part of Islam to not make representations of Mohammed. We might think that's silly, but it's part of the religion. It's not just benign to Muslims. I would have similar qualms about serving observant Jews pork and pretending it's chicken ("oops! *snicker*"), or the equivalent in any other religion.

I've spoken before about a professor I had for an "Introduction to Islam" class who was an incredibly nice man. He was really distressed at what a bad name Islam was getting, and so sad about the extremists that were helping to give it that bad name. But he was a very pious Muslim. I imagine how much this would distress him and it kinda takes the wind out of my sails.
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 03:54 pm
@sozobe,
Hi Friends, I wonder why the search I did (with many spellings of "Mohammed") didn't bring up this previous thread?

Quote:
I've spoken before about a professor I had for an "Introduction to Islam" class who was an incredibly nice man. He was really distressed at what a bad name Islam was getting, and so sad about the extremists that were helping to give it that bad name. But he was a very pious Muslim. I imagine how much this would distress him and it kinda takes the wind out of my sails.

Frankly, Soz, I've never met a Muslim I didn't like... but we have very few Muslims here in Rural Florida. Er, TWO, that I can think of offhand. Nice and good folk, to me.

I've no problem with people practicing whatever religion they prefer (or no religion at all).

I do have a problem with people threatening to kill other people over cartoons in the US.

Off to read that thread link you provided.
sozobe

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:02 pm
@BorisKitten,
BorisKitten wrote:
I do have a problem with people threatening to kill other people over cartoons in the US.

Of course. So do I. And the unjustness of this whole thing is what makes me want to Do Something, which led me to "Draw Mohammed Day."

But upon further thought I realized that it wasn't something I wanted to participate in, for the reasons I outlined above.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:03 pm
@BorisKitten,
Yes, I think there should be something we can do that shows we are not going to be intimidated.
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:13 pm
Quote:
Hey!!! I found a venue for action:

Sign this petition here:

http://www.irshadmanji.com/petition

The woman sponsoring it has fascinated me for ages, anyway, and her site is worth a look!

She is publicising a new manifesto against totalitarianism,

http://www.irshadmanji.com/im-muslim-refusenik-letters-archive-part-105

She is a Muslim woman who speaks out against repression in the name of Islam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irshad_Manji

These links from Dlowan are worth a re-post, though I've already signed her (Ayaan Hirsi Ali's) petition.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:14 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Yes, I think there should be something we can do that shows we are not going to be intimidated.

I'm doing it. Will other A2Kers?
ebrown p

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:18 pm
@roger,
Quote:

I would suggest having an abortion, or if that is not an option-- how about kissing a man, or speaking Spanish in public.

((All of these things have actually gotten people killed in the US... I don't think drawing cartoons has ever done that))

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:20 pm
@BorisKitten,
I'm not interested in doing anything that would offend friends of mine.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:23 pm
I find 'Draw Mohammed day' to be in poor taste. There is no point to it other than to thumb your nose at people.

Cycloptichorn
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I find 'Draw Mohammed day' to be in poor taste. There is no point to it other than to thumb your nose at people.

Cycloptichorn

I think you're not alone in this view.

I do NOT have nose-thumbing in mind, actually.

I DO have defiance-against-death-threats-for-cartoons in mind... at least here in the United States.

I've been known previously to have "poor taste." Nothing new there.
JTT

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:29 pm
@roger,
Quote:

9-11 was an object lesson that there are others who are not going to be intimidated.

While this issue certainly has some validity, it pales into insignificance when measured, say against,

Quote:
The Republic of Nicaragua v. The United States of America[1] was a 1986 case of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in which the ICJ ruled in favor of Nicaragua and against the United States and awarded reparations to Nicaragua. The ICJ held that the U.S. had violated international law by supporting Contra guerrillas in their rebellion against the Nicaraguan government and by mining Nicaragua's harbors. The United States refused to participate in the proceedings after the Court rejected its argument that the ICJ lacked jurisdiction to hear the case. The U.S. later blocked enforcement of the judgment by the United Nations Security Council and thereby prevented Nicaragua from obtaining any actual compensation.[2] The Nicaraguan government finally withdrew the complaint from the court in September 1991, following a repeal of the law requiring the country to seek compensation, thus settling the matter.[3]

The Court found in its verdict that the United States was "in breach of its obligations under customary international law not to use force against another State", "not to intervene in its affairs", "not to violate its sovereignty", "not to interrupt peaceful maritime commerce", and "in breach of its obligations under Article XIX of the Treaty of Friendship, Commerce and Navigation between the Parties signed at Managua on 21 January 1956."

The Court had 16 final decisions upon which it voted. In Statement 9, the Court stated that the U.S. encouraged human rights violations by the Contras by the manual entitled Psychological Operations in Guerrilla Warfare. However, this did not make such acts attributable to the U.S.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicaragua_v._United_States

It's akin to the same thing in Robert Gentel raised in the thread, Helping Americans understand just how rich we are

http://able2know.org/topic/144578-1

How does this even begin to equate to 10,000 or so people butchered, an economy destroyed, people's lives ruined, ... ?
djjd62

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:31 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
How does this even begin to equate to 10,000 or so people butchered, an economy destroyed, people's lives ruined, ... ?

you're right

i'm gonna draw a picture of an earthquake

or a tsunami

JTT

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:38 pm
@djjd62,
That oughtta set things right with the Cosmos and kick your karma points up a few notches.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:38 pm
@BorisKitten,
Quote:
I DO have defiance-against-death-threats-for-cartoons in mind... at least here in the United States.

Maybe, but nobody is threatening you with death for drawing a cartoon.

Yaknow, when people treat hotheads in this fashion, it paradoxically adds to their power.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:45 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Yaknow, when people treat hotheads in this fashion, it paradoxically adds to their power.

It seems to work the same way for those who make apologies for terrorists, Cy, but it's really just illusory.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:54 pm
I'm torn. I have no reason to draw Muhammad, so doing so would only be a provocation on my part. If I did have a reason to draw him (like it was a part of some greater artistic endeavor), I'd defend my right to draw it. I certainly think that people who do participate have the right to do so.

If I'm impassioned to say something about Christianity, I do so. I rarely do so when I'm told to do so however. I think doing this because someone else says so might be a bit forced. If I draw Muhammad, I'll do it on whatever day I please. Who gives a damn about May 20th?

A
R
T
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:56 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

Now HERE is the issue at its heart, at least to me. The woman (cartoonist) who suggested this response was threatened with death and later retracted her call to "Draw Mohammed" on May 20. Had it not been for this fearful withdrawal on her part, the whole issue would have passed me by.

http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0424/seattle-cartoonist-promotes-everybody-draw-mohammed-day/
Quote:
[From Article Above] This story was updated from a prior version to clarify that Ms. Norris was not directly responsible for creating any Facebook groups related to the May 20 "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day".

0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:

They certainly could, on May 20th. And perhaps they will. They might actually succeed.

My point is: Can they possibly kill ALL of us, on or after after May 20th?

Does our collective US voice mean nothing these days?

1. Forums
  2. » Why aren't we talking about "Draw Muhammad Day?" May 20th
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 10:15:26