Why aren't we talking about "Draw Muhammad Day?" May 20th

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:06 pm
@BorisKitten,
Quote:

They certainly could, on May 20th. And perhaps they will. They might actually succeed.

Oh, c'mon. Quit making a mountain out of a molehill.

Quote:
Does our collective US voice mean nothing these days?

What does this mean? I, as one member of the US, think that you should probably try respecting other people's religious beliefs if there's no good reason not to.

That's the thing that gets me - there's no persuasive reason to make a drawing of Mohamed. The only motivation for doing so is pissing people off.

I can film a video of me breaking a bunch of crosses in half and cursing Christianity, too. But what's the point, other then to make people mad?

Cycloptichorn
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:06 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
I have no reason to draw Muhammad, so doing so would only be a provocation on my part.

I must disagree here.

The point of "Draw Muhammad Day" is, I think, for US folk to stand up and say, "In This country, we have the right to free speech, regardless of your religion, regardless of your death threats."

I am willing to stand for that ideal.

Am I alone in that?
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:08 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

They certainly could, on May 20th. And perhaps they will. They might actually succeed.

Oh, c'mon. Quit making a mountain out of a molehill.

Cycloptichorn

Maybe... or maybe not. We won't actually know until after May 20th, will we?

And I don't actually think it was US who made death threats against cartoonists.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:08 pm
@BorisKitten,
Quote:

I must disagree here.

The point of "Draw Muhammad Day" is, I think, for US folk to stand up and say, "In This country, we have the right to free speech, regardless of your religion, regardless of your death threats."

I don't believe that is the point of your exercise at all.

Cycloptichorn
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:12 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
you should probably try respecting other people's religious beliefs if there's no good reason not to.

I do, in fact, respect the religious beliefs of others. My problem is with your last half of the sentence:
"If there's no good reason not to."

The "good reason" is, Muslims have threatened to kill people over cartoon drawings. That is good enough reason for me.

Here in the US, I've been raised to believe, we do NOT kill people because of their right of free speech.

We DO NOT.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:14 pm
I'm wondering if the Christians in the US will mind if on May 20th, I repost the cartoon from a university newspaper of Jesus giving a blow job to a pig that so many found offensive back in 2006.

http://digg.com/tech_news/Offensive_Jesus_Cartoon_Causes_Public_Outcry

http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/archives/capitalistpiglet.jpg

Heck, we don't even have to go back that far to find Christians blowing their corks with cries of blasphemy over their religious symbols being disrespected. Just this month Comedy Central announced their plans to create a cartoon show, and there are already threats of boycott of the network and advertisers in reaction to one of the episode descriptions:

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/05/comedy-centrals-slate-22-projects-in-the-pipe.html

Quote:
"JC"

A half-hour animated show about JC (Jesus Christ) wanting to escape his father's enormous shadow and to live life in NYC as a regular guy. A lot has changed in 2000 years and he is the ultimate fish out of water. Meanwhile his all-powerful yet apathetic father would rather be playing video games than listening to JC recount his life in the city. JC is a playful take on religion and society with a sprinkle of dumb.

http://www.newsrealblog.com/2010/05/09/newsreal-sunday-divine-comedy-central-plans-blasphemous-cartoon-about-jesus-christ-titled-jc/

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder why Dante only had eight circles of hell in his epic poem “Inferno.” The news about Comedy Central’s plan to develop a blasphemous cartoon about Jesus, titled “JC,” makes me wish that there were a ninth. The proposed “cartoon” is so despicable and offensive that I am struck with the belief that eight circles just aren’t enough. Sounds great huh? It was less that two weeks ago that Comedy Central pulled the ”South Park” depiction of Mohammed that offended Muslims. Comedy Central must have a policy to only insult religions that wont cut their heads off with dull swords.

I don't think any of them are in good taste, but they do demonstrate the inability to respect another religion's symbols while crying foul at the same time when one's own religious symbols are being disrespected.

People don't think that the Muhammad cartoon should have been censored by Comedy Central, but demand that the proposed cartoon of Jesus be censored.

Why is there such clarity of understanding when the offensiveness is directed at one religion and not another? Such clarity would go a whole lot longer way toward ending the violent reactions than any mass drawing of an image will.
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

I must disagree here.

I don't believe that is the point of your exercise at all.

Cycloptichorn

Then you think the point of my exercise is... what?
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:17 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I'm not interested in doing anything that would offend friends of mine.

Yep. Same here.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:18 pm
@BorisKitten,
Quote:

The "good reason" is, Muslims have threatened to kill people over cartoon drawings. That is good enough reason for me.

Nah; that's an excuse. And the timeline doesn't work out.

Imagine if someone posts a video of them busting up crosses and cursing Jesus.

Some Jesus freak posts death threats to the person who made the video.

Is that an excuse for you to then say 'oh, death threats eh? We'll I'm going to do things to piss you off as well, just to show that you can't **** with us!'

No, it quite obviously is not. If there was a compelling, independent reason for doing an action, I would understand. But this is just a little fatuous and immature.

Now please; untwist your panties and find something more productive to do... you are reminding me at the moment of the right-wingers who were dead scared that the Al Qaeda was going to bomb their podunk little town in Georgia or something. A disproportionate response to the problem only strengthens those who would cause problems.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:21 pm
@BorisKitten,
I think that the real test for how strongly you believe in the right of free speech, BK, is to set up a street stand in Iraq, Afghanistan or other similar country and sell images of Mohammed.
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:24 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:

Why is there such clarity of understanding when the offensiveness is directed at one religion and not another? Such clarity would go a whole lot longer way toward ending the violent reactions than any mass drawing of an image will.

This is an excellent question.

My response must be this: The Christians who were offended by this cartoon did not threaten to kill the creator of that cartoon, did they? Nor did they actually BEHEAD the creator of the cartoon.

Let me state here, for the collective A2K record, that I am an Atheist.

I do not think that Jesus, God, Mohammed, the Buddha, or whoever, is real. I think religion may have an important place in societies, in correcting "bad behaviors," as in "Thou Shalt Not Kill," but I do not believe in any religion.

I really do NOT think it is correct to kill anyone for their religious beliefs, OR their cartoons. Period.
JTT

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:25 pm
@BorisKitten,
Quote:
I really do NOT think it is correct to kill anyone for their religious beliefs, OR their cartoons. Period.

Might that extend to political beliefs, BK?

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
@BorisKitten,
Quote:

Nah; that's an excuse. And the timeline doesn't work out.

Imagine if someone posts a video of them busting up crosses and cursing Jesus.

Some Jesus freak posts death threats to the person who made the video.

Do Jesus Freaks post death threats? Not that I've read. Please educate me here.
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:29 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
@BorisKitten,
I think that the real test for how strongly you believe in the right of free speech, BK, is to set up a street stand in Iraq, Afghanistan or other similar country and sell images of Mohammed.

I'm sorry to say I don't live in those countries. If I had been born and raised in those countries, Free Speech might be meaningless to me.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:30 pm
@BorisKitten,
Quote:

This is not material to the question, so I will not bother to respond.

Cycloptichorn
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:30 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

Might that extend to political beliefs, BK?

YES.

I do NOT think it is correct to kill human beings for their political beliefs.

Do you?
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

This is not material to the question, so I will not bother to respond.

Cycloptichorn

Worth re-stating.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:35 pm
@BorisKitten,
Quote:
Worth re-stating.

No, it really isn't. You are trying to avoid taking responsibility for a childish decision by refusing to discuss the heart of the matter. You can substitute (x) for whatever group you like; discussions of what real-world groups actually do has no bearing on a judgment of your decision at all, and really is an attempt to change the subject.

Cycloptichorn
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:
Worth re-stating.

No, it really isn't. You are trying to avoid taking responsibility for a childish decision by refusing to discuss the heart of the matter. You can substitute (x) for whatever group you like; discussions of what real-world groups actually do has no bearing on a judgment of your decision at all, and really is an attempt to change the subject.

Cycloptichorn

I'm perfectly willing to take responsibility for my Childish Decision. What IS, exactly, the "heart of the matter," in your opinion?
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:40 pm
@BorisKitten,
When, in response to the mass drawing of Mohammad, another thousand people are killed in the US with a car bomb, will you then participate in yet another cartoon drawing day so that the cycle can repeat itself again and again?

How many cartoon drawing days do you think it will take for Islamists to not be offended and react violently to people in the US knowingly poking sticks at them?

Will you take responsibility for your actions when someone's loved one is killed by a car bomb because you thought it would be keen to poke a stick at one of Islam's religious idols?

How many bombs will it take to figure out that it isn't an infringement on your rights to give the same respect to someone else's religion that you demand for your own (or, being an atheist, for your own absence of religion)?

These eye for an eye attitudes over religions are why the world has been at war with each other for eons.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/17/2024 at 08:00:25