Urgent message those who know about lack of energy?

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 11:53 pm
Greetings Able2Know users, I'm going to join the Marine Corps in one year & six months. I was wondering if any of you know what I can do to get my energy back? A couple months ago, I was curling 50 pound dumbbells at only 135 pounds. Now, I am so tired, and feel frail I can only do 40 with a struggle.

Please don't leave nasty comments. I will not tolerate them. Example, "Oh why are you even going to join if you're weak". We all have problems in life. No one is perfect, so help out with some advice. Thanks, I appreciate any feedback.

Ragman

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:33 am
Welcome to A2K. Good luck with your enlistment. You should be proud of such an commitment that you're making.

You say you are 135 lbs but you say nothing about how tall...bone structure and anything else - such as... have you lost a lot of weight? One-handed curls with 50 lbs is a hell of a lot for a 135-lber

Firstly, when was the last time you had a physical? Have you ever had mono? have you recently had a cold or the flu?

Secondly, are you aware that you can hit a plateau in your training that might leave you feeling stale? Why not take a week off and soft pedal it for a bit or take a few days off and go lighter and until you feel less tired.

Lastly, what about your nutrition and sleep patterns? Maybe you're exhausting yourself. Is insomnia an issue. What do you typically eat in day for calories? Are you a meat eater? Are you a junk food eater? Do you take protein supplements? Do you have a trainer or are you winging it?
Philis

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 02:23 am
Doesn't matter what you can do now. When you get in the corp the drill instructor will stand over you and humiliate you to no end and you will find the guts to proceed. No kidding here.
Ionus

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 03:43 am
Common reasons for fatigue : infection, diet, sleep disorder, depression, stress. Your doctor will be able to help.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 03:49 am
Unortunately it's not something that can be diagnosed authoritatively by anyone online. There're just too many possibilities. See a good doctor and get some tests.
USMC2256

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 09:10 am
@Ragman,
Thank you. I am kinda the lil guy stand at 5'8. I lost 5 pounds of fat. It's because I've been workingout for 1 year. That is why I curl 50 pounds. I had a physical 2 months ago. She said, "I am perhaps over training". I don't eat big meals just a lil less than 2,000 calories a day. I don't like junk food I like bannas & apples. I take a weight gainer, I am going to start taking protien.
0 Replies

USMC2256

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 09:11 am
@Philis,
Yeah, I understand. How many push ups did they make you do a day? How many would you recommend me to do?
USMC2256

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 09:12 am
@Ionus,
Okay, thanks for the reply.
0 Replies

USMC2256

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 09:16 am
@MontereyJack,
Okay, thanks I will.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 09:23 am
Diet. Have you changed your diet? Are you taking in enough calories for the amout on energy you use and the amount of rebuilding it takes to build your mucles back from weight training? Fruits, veggies carbs and protein. You need a balance. Are you supplimenting protein? This Is the first thing you can do by yourself
Amigo

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 09:29 am
@USMC2256,
You might have to read about recovery

http://www.beta-glucan-info.com/fatigue-in-athletes.htm

six monthes is plenty of time to solve this.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 09:33 am
@USMC2256,
USMC2256 wrote:

Yeah, I understand. How many push ups did they make you do a day? How many would you recommend me to do?

According to this site, I wouldn't worry about push-ups.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blfitmale.htm
Minimum Fitness Requirments for Each PFT Event - Males
Age Pull-Ups Crunches 3-Mile Run
17-26 3 50 28:00
27-39 3 45 29:00
40-45 3 45 30:00
46+ 3 40 33:00

AS the others have suggested, you should still see a doctor. He or she can at least refer you to a nutritionist who can give you some dietary advice regarding the proper amount of protein in one's diet (especially if you're on a massive workout campaign).
ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 11:27 am
@USMC2256,
What has the balance of your training program been like? has there been a solid cardiovascular component?

How did you modify your program when you were told you were over-training?
Philis

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 12:29 am
@USMC2256,
You are going to be fine. Relax more. The corps job is to get you in shape and they will be the ones to do it. People go in so unprepared and you are going in trying to prepare yourself but really you can only prepare yourself to a certain point. And the corp will push that point beyond measure.
Ragman

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 07:04 am
@ehBeth,
At 5ft 8in and at 135 lbs, it sounds as though you might be 20 lbs underweight. At age 17, that's not too unusual. Sometimes there are growth spurts even at age 17 and maturation can take care of that. Weight training is good but it's limited. Cross-training into other fitness activities keeps a person from getting stale like that. Over-training can drop your performance markedly.

I experienced that sort of regression as an adult runner and as a remedy, took 3-4 days off. I bounced right back within 1 week.

Pardon me here as I don't mean to speak for USMC, so I won't - but -
I think we're going to read that he didn't adjust his over-training routine. The problem with over-training and being 'under-weight' is that the body breaks down -- first by making you feel tired a lot and then, after that point, the max amount you comfortably lift drops.

Soon after that point, other injuries may follow. Resting for a few days is advised,. Then dropping to lower weight for curling and then doing more reps can get you past that.

Also, you state something that has been missed. Your diet and your weight loss of 5 lbs is pretty telltale. You shouldn't be losing ANY weight especially.
Are you doing cardio too If you are ...drink more water too.

What you write is showing you need a higher caloric intake. Perhaps 25% higher. Add those proteins shakes. But drink a lot of water throughout the day. Higher protein intake means you need to flush the kidneys with more water.
USMC2256

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 11:33 am
@Amigo,
Yes, ever since I got less energy I stop eating as much as I was. I use to consume 10,000 calories because I was bodybuilding. Now I'm eating like 2,000. I eat fruits that's about it. I am taking whey protein.
0 Replies

USMC2256

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 11:35 am
@tsarstepan,
Okay, thanks I will see one I think I am fatigue. I am stressing out a lot. I do a lot of pull ups, crunches, and run a lot in the moutains my dad owns a ranch so I have my own obstacle course.
0 Replies

USMC2256

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 11:36 am
@Amigo,
Thank you. I am fatigue but I just figured it out thanks. I already have a plan on what to do to get rid of it.
0 Replies

USMC2256

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 11:38 am
@ehBeth,
Thanks, I bodybuild 6 days a week, strength train 4 days a week(involving stone lifting, hitting tires with a hammer, picking up heavy tires, and other strength workouts) I box everyday, and run 3 times a week.
0 Replies

USMC2256

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 11:40 am
@Philis,
Thanks, I think it's all the stress that I'm getting is because I am worried that everyone else will be better than me.