Confused by 'hitherto'

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 07:46 pm
I am confused by ‘hitherto’. Below are example sentences from two dictionaries.

1. You use ‘hitherto’ to indicate that something was true up until the time you are talking about, although it may no longer be the case. (FORMAL)

The polytechnics have hitherto been at an unfair disadvantage in competing for pupils and money...

2. ADVERB:
Until this time: The weather, which had hitherto been sunny and mild, suddenly turned cold.

Why is 'have' (simple present) used in the first sentence when 'had' (simple past) is used in the sentence in the second sentence?

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,057 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 07:52 pm
The first sentence is in the present tense. The second sentence is in the past tense. There should be no confusion there.
tanguatlay

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:51 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The first sentence is in the present tense. The second sentence is in the past tense. There should be no confusion there.

Thanks, Setanta.

Does 'hitherto' mean 'previously' as well as 'till now'?

Could 'had' be used in the first sentence, causing the meaning of the sentence to be changed?

Thanks again.
tanguatlay

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:21 am
@tanguatlay,
Could any other native speakers please help me with my struggle with 'hitherto'.

I am very confused by its meaning. It seems that it can be used in relation to something that happened and is no longer so, or to something that relates to the past and continues to be so in the present.

Thanks in advance.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:34 am
Quote:
Does 'hitherto' mean 'previously' as well as 'till now'?

yes.

Quote:
Could 'had' be used in the first sentence, causing the meaning of the sentence to be changed?

Yes. The meaning would be sustantially the same.

Hitherto is not in common use and would in most forms of writing be considered archaic.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:56 pm
up until now = hitherto
0 Replies

VSPrasad

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 09:28 pm
@tanguatlay,
until the point in time under discussion.

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/hitherto?view=uk

used in negative statement to describe a situation that has existed up to this point or up to the present time

http://www.answers.com/topic/hitherto
0 Replies