ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 12:55 pm
@littlek,
Thanks, now that's clearer..
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 02:37 pm
Are some people really slow?

I get a recorded call from work on Sunday about the "boil water" crap in Boston. Stating that they will supply us with bottled water, but we will not have coffee and some other stuff.

Then I come into work this morning and there are signs everywhere -and we get an email all saying:

Please follow the guidelines below until we notify you otherwise. In order to provide clean water to the buildings, we must flush the water lines and clean the filter systems before allowing employees to consume the water.

DO NOT drink the water (including filtered water)
DO NOT use the coffee machines " no coffee service is available
DO NOT use the ice
DO NOT use the drinking fountains

No salad bar, fountain soda, or ice will be available.
Bottled water will be available in the cafeteria.

So coming out of the rest room is this bonehead - he immediately proceeds to take a leisurely drink out of the water fountain. I wouldn't take a drink out of the water fountain on a normal day forget about when this water is coming directly from a lake.

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 02:45 pm
@Linkat,

for people like that guy, there can never be enough warnings...
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 03:05 pm
@Linkat,
You may see him going into and coming out of the restrooms a lot.
Linkat

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 03:22 pm
@George,
That was my thought as well. So thankful I no longer sit right around the corner from the restrooms.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 03:54 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat, Cambridge doesn't have back up water, we are on a completely different system.
Linkat

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 03:57 pm
@littlek,
ah - didn't know that - you snobs!

We've been using the dishwasher to clean our dishes. I know they say not to count on that - but why? Our dishwasher gets extremely hot in the dry cycle - it is supposed to disinfect the dishes. Maybe in case, some people have older models?
littlek

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 04:03 pm
@Linkat,
I wondered about that too. What if you run them in the microwave for a minute before eating from them?
George

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 04:46 pm
Ah, yes. Leave it to the Peoples' Republic of Cambridge to have their very
own water supply. We went to the CPK in the Galleria last night. I had the
"Meat Cravers" pizza. My anti-microbe strategy is to crush the little buggers
to death.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 07:50 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
I wondered about that too. What if you run them in the microwave for a minute before eating from them?

If there's a breach in a subterranean long-haul pipeline feeding water to the city of Boston, bacterial contamination wouldn't be the only concern. In addition, unsavory chemicals of one kind or another might dissolve into the drinking water. Heating the water wouldn't change its chemical composition. On the other hand, I don't see why that would make it too dirty to wash your dishes in.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 03:27 am

Very Happy

Quote:
Gov. Patrick lifts boil order
Governor Patrick said the water supply is now clean for all communities except for the town of Saugus
May 4, 2010 05:10 AM

Governor Deval Patrick has announced that the "boil-water" order has been lifted for 29 of 30 communities that have lost their supply of fresh drinking water since Saturday, ending a water crisis that, at one point, had inconvenienced nearly 2 million people in the Boston area.

Patrick said the water supply was now clean and safe for all purposes in all the communities, except for the town of Saugus, which was still awaiting water quality test results this morning.

Patrick thanked the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority and other state agencies.

"Thanks to the efforts of MWRA and the whole team of state agencies who have responded to this emergency, the people of Boston and surrounding communities can once again rely on the safety of their tap water for drinking," Patrick said in a statement. "With a few simple steps, residents and businesses can now go back to normal water use, with full confidence."

The decision to lift the order, which required residents to boil water for a minute before using it for drinking or cooking, came after more than 800 water samples at 482 locations were tested, the governor's office said. The tests showed no contamination that could threaten public health.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/05/gov_patrick_lif.html

i did notice at one point yesterday afternoon, the color of the water coming out of the cold water tap changed from tan to clear, an encouraging sign.
they certainly pounced on this thing and fixed it up quickly...

R(ready to drink drink drink)P
jespah

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 04:56 am
@Region Philbis,
But ... but the untreated pond water made my hair so soft and shiny ....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 11:28 am
@Region Philbis,
I hadn't seen my water appear discolored at all during this "boil" time.

But I was happy this morning to be able to get my coffee at the usual location - no line at all either so people may not have known or else or worried the water was still tainted.

So far no sickness - we will all know in a few days if anyone had any ill effects from the tainted water.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 11:58 am
Not a minute too soon.
I'm out of beer.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:57 am
So apparantely there was no real danger - the water was fine all along.

"Tests confirm it " water was OK to drink all weekend"
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2010/05/05/turns_out_water_was_ok_to_drink_after_all/
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 11:44 am
@Linkat,

you mean no one's gonna get sick?
not even that dj on zlx who drank the water on the air??
George

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:14 pm
But, after all, it is always best to err on the side of caution.

I believe it was it W C Fields who said:
"I never drink water; fish f*ck in it."
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:37 pm
@Region Philbis,
I guess not - although there were 3 communities where it did test with a bacteria.

Boston was one - is zlx within Boston - not sure exactly where they broadcast from. Nice to know some one else listens to those guys. I'd like for him to get sick. Although I'd imagine with what it appears he consumes, a little bacteria wouldn't hurt him.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:55 pm
@Linkat,

the station is not far from us, across the pike from the new balance bldg.
i only listen to the music -- as soon as they start yapping, i switch to another channel... although senseless survey is pretty funny...
Linkat

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 03:05 pm
@Region Philbis,
Well that makes it more likely he got some bacteria in his water - hoping to hear some results soon.
0 Replies