Boston, don't drink the water!

littlek

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 05:47 pm
@ossobuco,
The added stuff in hand sans is possibly dangerous (not sure what exactly, but it causes dioxins to form). The alcohol only ones may be less effective. My plan is to wash with soap and water and hand san if I have to eat something with my hands. My gut is too susceptible to wonkiness.
George

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 08:14 pm
I may be bringing some empty water jugs to work.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 04:00 am
@littlek,
Quote:
Seems like a bad lag between 10 am break and the 6pm message Jes and Region got!
verra bad lag.

yes folks, i am a victim of tainted water ingestion... maybe the first reported case?
am just starting to feel like myself again after being flat on my back for the past 23 hours.
the symptoms (i'll spare you the details) started soon after i wrote this thread.

sorta ironic...
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 04:13 am

ok, seems it's just a coincidence...
Quote:
State and Boston health officials said they have not detected any outbreaks of intestinal illness from contaminated water,
nor do they expect to at this point, given the long incubation period of water-borne diseases.
It generally takes five to seven days for people to get sick after drinking dirty water.

“If people are feeling ill now, it’s not from the water,’’ said Dr. Anita Barry, director of the infectious disease bureau
for the Boston Public Health Commission. “People should not be heading to the ER.’’

Quote:
For most people, drinking water contaminated with giardia or cryptosporidium, the most common pathogens found in pond water, would cause diarrhea, stomach pain, and fever that would be indistinguishable from other types of intestinal illness, DeMaria said.
my symptoms exactly.
so t'wasn't the dirty water after all...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2010/05/03/chance_of_getting_ill_may_be_minuscule/
jespah

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 06:39 am
@Region Philbis,
Let's just say when I saw RP I immediately thought of giardia.

Anyway, officials say we may be gettin' back to (somewhat) normal soon: Clean drinking water expected in the next 48 hours.

As for handwashing, I've been using hot tap water and soap so long as I'm not going to touch my mouth. If I am going to, I still use hot tap water and soap, final rinse is with bottled or boiled water. So far, so good, and we have no idea why poor RP was sick as a dawg.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 06:46 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Er... it just dawned on me that I have to go to work in such a tapless town.

<Adjusts spectacles - no, it's not topless gown. Sighs>
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 06:46 am
I drank too much beer.
Symptoms as expected.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 07:49 am
@littlek,
Yes, I have heard certain communities have their own back up system. But watch out - once this gets used up, you may go back on the "must boil list."
Linkat

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 07:52 am
@George,
Yep the coffee was the worst. Hubby was one of the coaches for the try out for travel softball. It was first thing Sunday morning. He said everyone (the adults that is) was dragging because they could not get their dunkin coffee.

We are right on the border of the boil towns (we are in one of the boil towns) so this morning I went the opposite way to work just about 2 miles to get my coffee. Funny - one lady wanted a box of joe - they were completely out of the boxes - seems everyone is crossing into this town to get their coffee fix.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 07:54 am
@littlek,
Yep good for hand washing - I just double up on germix afterwards. We will all see in about a week if we are sick - takes that long to show the effects.

Work was kind - they handed out bottle water this morning (2 per person) - they don't want us sick and missing work.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 07:56 am
@Region Philbis,
Why are they saying it takes 7 days to show up?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 07:56 am
@Region Philbis,
ok I'm slow
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:04 am

apparently they didn't start piping the dirty water until saturday at 6:40pm, which is approximately when we received the recorded phone call...
George

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:21 am
"But I love that dirty water . . ."
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:55 am
@Region Philbis,
I never received a recorded phone call..
jespah

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 09:49 am
@Linkat,
Menino (or whoever it was) was charming while telling us to boil H20. Smile

I suspect the real fear is giardia in a few days. Eek, try not to have a reason (other than that) to go to the ER in about a week. They're gonna have a lotta customers then, I suspect.
Izzie

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 09:57 am
@jespah,
How's RP doin' now... all better????????
jespah

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 10:47 am
@Izzie,
Pretty much -- he's on the other PC. I guess he'll go back to work tomorrow. Thank ya for asking.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 10:52 am
All of the Greater Boston area folks have my sympathy. Hope no one gets sick from the water. I live on catchment and have infrared to kill pathegons et al.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 11:10 am
@Izzie,

much better, thanx...
0 Replies