It's hard not to think of guns these days . . .

Irishk

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:14 am
I wonder if a stun gun (taser type thingy) would work on the sharks? For that matter, taser guns might work on intruders...or am I watching too many espionage movies? LOL
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:46 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
I wonder if a stun gun (taser type thingy) would work on the sharks?
For that matter, taser guns might work on intruders...or am I watching too many espionage movies? LOL
Those things, with the flying electrodes, are very unreliable, zany contrivances.

David
Irishk

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:49 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Could one buy it at Radio Shack, though?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:51 am

Do we all agree that there is a Constitutional right to travel?
That right shoud be taken together with the 2nd Amendment
such as to bring back the practice of the 1800s whereby anyone
coud and did carry his guns with him from State to other State,
the same as carrying his wallet or carring his watch,
free from any government interference.

If he committed a crime (with or without a gun)
then he was held to account and he was penalized therefor.

David
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:56 am
@Irishk,
Would you want to risk it? Have you seen the size of those babies and the teeth? I'd prefer the pistol to the head and I'm an animal lover.
Irishk

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 09:02 am
@Linkat,
Probably not. OTOH, I'd probably shoot a hole in the boat and sink LOL.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 10:45 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
Could one buy it at Radio Shack, though?
I dunno. Thay 've got a lot of stuff there.
Linkat

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 10:49 am
@Irishk,
Maybe you should just avoid shark hunting all together
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 10:57 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You really want one - I found one on sale will cost ya $1750

http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/03/handheld-laser-gun-available-for-purchase/

I thought I'd find one on ebay, but all the had were those stun guns.
Ceili

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 11:06 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David, never, not once in my life have I wondered why somebody didn't shoot someone, in fact.. There have been many times in my life I've wondered why someone was shot. Or conversely, I've often wondered why people insist on fighting and not fleeing. If someone is threatening me, I do my best to walk away and NOT make the situation worse.
In your little scenario, your fella sat there and took the punch. Why didn't he defend himself, why didn't he drive away. There are plenty of ways to defend yourself without a gun. I've been trained in self defense, I could probably disarm you within seconds, even with all your training. I'd never take the chance with you though, cause I think you're the kind of guy who shoots before he thinks, but I can't be certain of that. Thankfully I don't spend a lot of time in the states and have managed to live a fairly safe, gun free life.
I chose to live my life without guns. If I live to regret that decision, C'est la vie. At least I've lived this long and I could find out tomorrow I'm dying of a more insidious disease or be hit by a car. One never knows, but I'd prefer to be happy that paranoid.

I do know several children who were shot and/or killed in my life time. These were the children of good, law abiding citizens. The parents were trained in the safe handling of weapons, and yet, didn't.
The only adults I've even known that were shot or own had guns we're gang affiliated and the guns were purchased illegally and brought up to Canada illegally.

I don't give a rats ass about a perpetrators health, but if you bring a gun into a fist fight, you deserve to go to jail.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 11:28 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
You really want one - I found one on sale will cost ya $1750

http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/03/handheld-laser-gun-available-for-purchase/

I thought I'd find one on ebay, but all the had were those stun guns.
That 's great, Linkat!
I 'd pay a few hundred $$ more for a hand faser like Capt. Kirk n Mr. Spock use.
Thay are silent, so u don 't vex the nabors.

With THEM, the target vanishes, and disintegrates below the atomic level,
so u don 't have a messy, inconvenient sanitary problem lying on your floor after a burglar broke in on u
and no need to disturb nor annoy the police; just go back to bed n forget it !

David
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 11:31 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

David, never, not once in my life have I wondered why somebody didn't shoot someone, in fact.. There have been many times in my life I've wondered why someone was shot. Or conversely, I've often wondered why people insist on fighting and not fleeing. If someone is threatening me, I do my best to walk away and NOT make the situation worse.
In your little scenario, your fella sat there and took the punch. Why didn't he defend himself, why didn't he drive away. There are plenty of ways to defend yourself without a gun. I've been trained in self defense, I could probably disarm you within seconds, even with all your training. I'd never take the chance with you though, cause I think you're the kind of guy who shoots before he thinks, but I can't be certain of that. Thankfully I don't spend a lot of time in the states and have managed to live a fairly safe, gun free life.
I chose to live my life without guns. If I live to regret that decision, C'est la vie. At least I've lived this long and I could find out tomorrow I'm dying of a more insidious disease or be hit by a car. One never knows, but I'd prefer to be happy that paranoid.

I do know several children who were shot and/or killed in my life time. These were the children of good, law abiding citizens. The parents were trained in the safe handling of weapons, and yet, didn't.
The only adults I've even known that were shot or own had guns we're gang affiliated and the guns were purchased illegally and brought up to Canada illegally.

I don't give a rats ass about a perpetrators health, but if you bring a gun into a fist fight, you deserve to go to jail.

Do you believe that people who wish to have a gun for protection have the right to?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 12:22 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
I don't give a rats ass about a perpetrators health,
but if you bring a gun into a fist fight, you deserve to go to jail.
Ceili, with all respect, won 't u agree that statement is very ill-considered?
Imagine if your son were beaten to death in a fistfight
or if he suffered devastating permanent personal injury
(for instance, loss of the aforesaid hearing in one ear
and loss of an eye and spinal damage, with pain, as has happened).

People have been killed in fistfights.
If I had a good friend, or a son, about whom I cared
who was armed with a gun and if he were sufficiently injudicious
as to not use his gun defensively when he was being beaten to death,
I 'd think ill of his judgment and forebearance.

Put that on his tombstone:
"Here lies the body of Joe Blow;
he had the means of self-defense,
but he took Ceili's advice and did not use it."

HOw 's that ?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 12:31 pm
David, I can go on imagining all kinds of scenarios, i could do it for a month of sundays. When all is said and done, all I'll really have accomplished is paranoia.
I could answer all your fantasy questions with pixie dust and god's wrath and we will still not agree. Suffice to say, if you shoot somebody who is unarmed, you should go to jail. I'd imagine, since that seems to be the theme... If you hold a gun up to an unarmed person, most would stop. You wouldn't need to shoot 'em, but if you do, you should be prepared to do time. There may be extenuating circumstances, and you may get away with it. Bully for you then.
I have no idea what a person may or may not do in any of your made up stories, I can't read minds and neither can you, but at least I'm willing to admit it.
Ceili

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 12:39 pm
@Brandon9000,
Sure, but why should I have to carry one if I don't want to.
Why should my freedom be any less important that yours. It is, I get it, but why? If I want to bring my kids up in a gun free world, I can't. So, I live with your ideals but not my own. I don't believe a gun is the answer to most problems. I have never needed one for my protection and I'd say that would apply to 99% of the people I know.
I've seen bar fights and I shudder to think what could have happened if people had been armed. Instead, the fighters ended up with a few bruises and/or shiners and lived to see another day.
Self-defense, whether you have a gun or not, should not have to become a fatal incident. With guns, it seems, or at least with David behind the trigger, that is a most certainly the outcome. Or at least his bravado would lead one to believe this would be the ending.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 01:54 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

David, I can go on imagining all kinds of scenarios, i could do it for a month of sundays. When all is said and done, all I'll really have accomplished is paranoia.
I could answer all your fantasy questions with pixie dust and god's wrath and we will still not agree. Suffice to say, if you shoot somebody who is unarmed, you should go to jail. I'd imagine, since that seems to be the theme... If you hold a gun up to an unarmed person, most would stop. You wouldn't need to shoot 'em, but if you do, you should be prepared to do time. There may be extenuating circumstances, and you may get away with it. Bully for you then.
I have no idea what a person may or may not do in any of your made up stories, I can't read minds and neither can you, but at least I'm willing to admit it.

As I told u, I cited to a known example in Texas
of a devastating attack with fists only.
U refuse to consider that, claiming that it is imaginary.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 02:03 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Why should my freedom be any less important that yours. It is, I get it, but why? If I want to bring my kids up in a gun free world, I can't. So, I live with your ideals but not my own. I don't believe a gun is the answer to most problems. I have never needed one for my protection and I'd say that would apply to 99% of the people I know.
I've seen bar fights and I shudder to think what could have happened if people had been armed. Instead, the fighters ended up with a few bruises and/or shiners and lived to see another day.
Self-defense, whether you have a gun or not, should not have to become a fatal incident.

With guns, it seems, or at least with David behind the trigger, that is a most certainly the outcome.
Or at least his bravado would lead one to believe this would be the ending.
Ceili, u portray me as being unreasonable.

I just point out that during a fist fight
one cannot guess whether the next impact
will inflict catastrophic permanent injuries, possibly including death -- not until it is too late because it already happened.

David
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 02:08 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
No David, I didn't refuse to consider it, but I can't go about thinking about all the terrible scenarios that could happen. I can only imagine this scenario as I wasn't there. Just as you seem unable to imagine a scenario that doesn't call for the use of a gun. I'm aware people can be vicious. I'm also aware, that you have not thought of any alternatives to a gun. Once again, why did the man sit there, why didn't he drive away? Why didn't he defend himself? Is there more to the story? Did he incite the violence?
You have never, not once in all our discussions come up with any alternatives to gun fire. Every example you give is always about guns. Many people defend themselves without guns. Do you not see this as being a possible outcome ever? If not why?
I'm not a tall person or very strong, but my first choice of defense is to remove myself from a bad situation. I trust my gut and the little tingles that run up my spine. My second choice is always my mouth. Talking, screaming, whatever... I've had to defend myself several times but I've never felt the need to carry a gun.
Can you not imagine a time and place where a gun might be unnecessary?
plainoldme

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 07:32 pm
@Irishk,
My son just told me about an experiment in which sheep were given meth and then tazered so that scientists could determine the effect of tazers on meth addicts. Sounds a tad like The Onion to me.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 09:18 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Self-defense, whether you have a gun or not, should not have to become a fatal incident. With guns, it seems, or at least with David behind the trigger, that is a most certainly the outcome. Or at least his bravado would lead one to believe this would be the ending.

What are you talking about? I'm not trying to force you to buy a gun. I'm not trying to force you to do anything. The only way you can bring your kids up in a gun free world is by forcing me not to have one. So, it's you who think my freedom is less important than yours. I am only claiming the right to do something myself. You are claiming the right to have me not do it. You don't think I should even have the right to defend myself.

Furthermore, in addition to your bar fight scenario, what about the scenario where someone is accosted on a city street corner late at night or criminals break into someone's home? A gun might spell the difference between life and death for the vitim. In fact the attack might never occur if the criminals know that I could be armed. Actually, I personally have never owned a gun, but that's beside the point.
0 Replies