It's hard not to think of guns these days . . .

plainoldme

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:52 pm
@Brandon9000,
Let me add some details. At the time, this woman was in her 80s, sharp as a tack but very thin. She had worked for Jane Addams at Hull House immediately after graduating from college while she waited for her fiance to finish medical school. This was not a woman to carry a gun.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:54 pm
@Mame,
It has happened in the US. People have also sued those who have defended themselves against attack.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:57 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

I can imagine a shark is dangerous . . . those teeth. Although they need to keep moving to breathe and I am not certain they can breathe long out of water.

People have been bitten by sharks they thought were dead.
Their nervous system will still respond and the jaws snap at you.
I certainly wouldn't be the one to test if the shark were really dead.

Then again, I have no fear of sharks, as I don't go in the ocean.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:01 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Let me add some details. At the time, this woman was in her 80s, sharp as a tack but very thin.
She had worked for Jane Addams at Hull House immediately after graduating from college
while she waited for her fiance to finish medical school.
This was not a woman to carry a gun.
That is a personal decision that each potential victim must make for himself.

David
Mame

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:03 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, this guy (drug addict) went in during the DAY when I was out for an hour. The problem was the cat door, but jees louise, I don't think I could have gotten my thigh through it, never mind my whole body, so I wasn't too worried about it.... boy was I wrong! Another time they climbed three stories and got in through a bathroom window.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:09 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
so you see a guy running from your bedroom window carrying a t.v.,
should you shoot him in the back?
Morally, that is a valuable service to your nabors and admirable.

Legally, it depends on the law of your jurisdiction.
If I wrote the statute, the answer woud be: YES!!!!!

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:12 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Nice - I like that!

We had a dog growing up - he was a great watch dog and everyone in the neighborhood was frightened of him - not that he would attack you if one of us was out walking him, but he was extremely protective of the house (he was part German Shepard). Although he wasn't very big (mom was a cocker spaniel), he had a big bark and postman, paperboy all were frightened of his bark.

Not sure if it was still when he was around or he had just been put down (poor thing could barely get up) - my parents kept the danger dog sign up - neighbors on both sides of my parents' house was broken into, but they bypassed their house. Something to be said for a protective dog.
It is as if his ghost hung around, protectively.

David
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:39 pm
@plainoldme,
No, they are very dangerous in a boat. And can survive for quite a while. My friend hunts Mako shark - they are extremely aggressive, very strong and can live through quite a bit. It takes hours to land one and they will jump many feet in the air when caught.

Believe me you would want the gun.
Linkat

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:41 pm
@plainoldme,
I also have a cousin who used to own a pharmaceutical delivery business. He carried a gun - again with the early morning deliveries and drug addicts that wouldn't hestitate to steal from you, you would want a gun.

And I am not a big supporter of in typical situations to have a gun, but there are certain situations where it does and could call for one.
Linkat

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:43 pm
@chai2,
How about a boat with a just landed shark?
Linkat

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:43 pm
@Mame,
What the h*ll do you have in your house, Mame, that makes thieves want to risk life and limb to get inside?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:47 pm
@Linkat,
Ok, here is the details of the dangers of Mako sharks (and mako shark hunting):

A running jumping mako is probably the best game fish in the world. Makos cause grief to anglers, by terrorizing crews with aerial acrobatics, by jumping into cockpits, injuring boatmen, or after being gaffed going berserk and breaking loose at boat side-or just deciding after being hooked to attack the boat. And when you think it is all over and they are finished, makos have come alive, after their apparent death " sometimes 4 hours later. This is a fish that can continue to fight back in the cockpit.

http://www.newenglandsharks.com/_derived/shortfin.htm_txt_makocurtm-1.gif

http://www.newenglandsharks.com/shortfin.htm

I've actually heard this guy give a presentation on sharks at our local library.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 03:06 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

How about a boat with a just landed shark?

No boats for me thanks.

That's why I live smack dab in the middle of the Lone Star State. You can hear the thunder rolling over miles and miles of miles and miles.

I grew up at a marina on the Jersey Shore.
Hated every minute of it.
Water, boats, jellyfish, lobsters, crabs, sharks; the whole not being able to breath underwater thing was not for me.

Oh yeah, hours later that sharky shark will take your hand off.
Jellyfish will scar you with their acid.
Lobstrosities and crabs <shiver> nasty clawed cockroaches.
Horseshoe crabs, 8,000 little legs wiggling at you....<faints dead away>

If a horseshoe crab broke into my house, I would totally shoot to kill.

chai(where's my hollow points?)tea
djjd62

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 03:08 pm
i can go for days and days without thinking about guns
Ceili

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 03:12 pm
@Brandon9000,
I was responding to the situation, not a fantasy.
Ceili

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 03:18 pm
@djjd62,
Funny, me too! Actually weeks at a time.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 03:32 pm
whenever I think of guns I think of Abraham Simpson as David with a 44 magnum;
http://www.anvari.org/db/cols/The_Simpsons_Characters_Picture_Gallery/Abraham_Simpson.gif
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 03:45 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

whenever I think of guns I think of Abraham Simpson as David with a 44 magnum;
http://www.anvari.org/db/cols/The_Simpsons_Characters_Picture_Gallery/Abraham_Simpson.gif
Can u try that again, Bob?
Link is broken

David
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 03:58 pm
@chai2,
Funny when we were going to move to Texas - and on one of our visits something felt weird about it. I realized that just the thought of being so far from the ocean made me feel clastophobic.
Francis

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 04:08 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
I realized that just the thought of being so far from the ocean made me feel clastophobic.

Farmerman is not going to like that:

Quote:
Clast: (geology) a constituent fragment of a clastic rock

Mr. Green