Infuriating Commercials

Roberta

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 09:00 pm
So the Sprint guy was the one with the monkey who had a cold. I don't mind that guy. The can you hear me now commercials drive me nuts. But they're not of the infuriating variety that prompted me to start this thread.

LW, so I'm wrong about the floss thing? I guess I was judging by my own unineptitude and ease of flossing. Sorry.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 09:11 pm
Anything marketed to kids labelled Xtreme or To the Max, or both. Coloured Wonder Bread, as if the original wasn't bad enough, and any other normal-type food now being churned out in garish coulours to make food more "fun". First off, kids eat that junk anyway, and will most likely want to play with their regular food if you let 'em. These foods serve no purpose except to pack more sugar and chemicals into our kids, and I get angry every time I see them advertised. That 'zoom zoom' kid also annoys the hell out of me.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 01:39 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Most people are lazy about flossing -- ask any dentist. Yes, I do find winding the floss around my fingers and trying to get it between my teeth to be awkward and as I have a limited bite, I can't even get to all of my teeth (the technician who cleans my teeth has they same problem.) The water pick (I have a unit that attaches directly to the faucet) and the Braun Interclean does a great job. I would imagine the floss holder (which is not really new) will sell very well. There's even a toothpaste with the floss in the cap!

I can't floss, because I've got no gaps between my teeth to get it into. That's actually the biggest problem I've got in trying to keep my teeth clean.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:50 am
That's what's great about the Braun Interclean -- it's a tiny revolving flosser that doesn't require threading. It gets down into the spaces between the base of each tooth better than floss. My, now I sound like a Braun commercial. There are other brands -- Water Pic makes one for about $40.00. I have the Braun toothbrush but when it gives out, I'm going back to an ultra-sonic.

I don't doubt your aptitude in flossing, Roberta, but be prepared for being ribbed about your disunineptitude (sic) for inventing words. Very Happy

I don't watch enough TV that has commercials -- watching HBO's "Carnivale" last evening was a pleasure with no interruptions. When I do, I find some of the commercials are entertaining but it doesn't mean I will buy their product. I often find that unadvertised products are better and often cheaper because they don't spend billions on advertising.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:54 am
Here, I find the ads for East Side Mario's incredibly angering, with the "Hey Badda-Boom-Badda-Bing" tagline. On that note, I wonder if Lightwizard can confirm something....I heard a rumour that it was James Caan who coined the "badda-boom-badda-bing" phrase in The Godfather. Any truth to that?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:01 am
I almost always hit mute or channel surf during commercials. When I do hear them, I have found some sport in identifying famous actors' voices in the voiceovers.

I've been boycotting Energizer batteries for years because of that damn rabbit.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:09 am
Yea, the rabbit and the clanging symbols reminds me too much of a rug rat with an irritatingly noisy toy. That and the fact that they aren't the best battery (although because Sam's Club has such a cheap price on them, I sometimes buy a pack).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:12 am
I still can't help yelling out "Duracell!" anytime someone on Star Trek says "Energize", but I'm a total geek, so please ignore that. Laughing Duracell also happens to have been my battery choice for years.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:21 am
Re: Star Trek geekiness - after the command "Fire at will," I always say "What did Will do?" Laughing

Maybe they're catching on about us muting commercials? I've seen a couple that were visually interesting enough to get my attention even when muted. There's currently one (for Walkman?) with dancers silhouetted on bright colors - that I like - but have never listened to!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:39 am
Since most of the terribly obnoxious commercials have already been mentioned, I have a question:
don't Star Trek geekies like that woman who always said, quite seriously, "You must comply." I think most men would gladly "comply."

Like Mac, I do enjoy imaginative, tasteful commercials--sometimes more than the program I'm watching.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 10:04 am
Rolling Eyes Okay, I will admit my total Trek geekiness...although truthfully, I have never, and will never attend a convention. To me, the sexiest Trek babe was Famke Jansen as the empath bred to fall in love with the first man she comes in contact with, but can still become whatever the man, species notwithstanding, wants her to be. Of course, she falls in love with Picard, but still needs to marry a man she does not really love for galactic political reasons. Call me a romantic....the story had the resonance of true tragedy. As for Jeri Ryan of "you must comply" fame, never much of a fan, I like real women.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 11:14 am
I do think some comercials are a riot though. There's the one where the guy is on the subway thinking about this party he went too and all of a sudden yells "Lets get naked" and then realizes he's on the subway, LOL.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 01:04 pm
The comedic commercials are calculated to coax a cacophony of cackling.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 06:41 pm
Cav, Colored Wonder Bread!!! It's got colors? Hues? Tints? Well, to quote my grandma, Feh, pooh, pooh, pooh.

Hey LW, I'm plenty ept in the word inventing department. Harumph. And thanks for all the flossing device info. If my ept ever become in, I'll get one.

Mac, I thought the early Energizer bunny commercials were quite clever. The more recent ones, though, are annoying. I use Duracell, too. I have no idea which batteries are better, but Duracells look very official.

Star Trek? I watched only the original show--none of the spinoffs. I have to go to page 2. To be continued.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 06:45 pm
Yep, there are some commercials that are downright good. And there was one about a year or so ago that was so good I tried to figure out when it would be run so that I could watch it. Which one? It was for Pampers. It showed scene after scene of baby animals with their mothers (monkey, horse, polar bear, etc). No talking. Rod Stewart's Forever Young was the only sound. At the end, a shot of Pampers and maybe a sentence about the product. I'm sorry they stopped running that commercial.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 06:53 pm
Well I was just funnin' with you as ineptitude is a noun and can't be "un'ed." Then there's antidisunineptitude which is eptitude. That's apt to drive you nuts Laughing

There is one place in Florida where I still get the flossing heads for my Braun (they were rather expensive at the local drug store and then they all dropped the appliance and the replacement heads). The Water Pik is the one I'll get when my Braun conks out. Well, I'm not really very Brauny anyway.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 01:50 am
LW, funning right back. :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 02:10 am
Oh, I just thought of another commercial that drives me up the wall!

Have you seen the Herbal shampoo ones where the women are having orgasms everytime they shampoo? Oh, oh, yes, yes, yes!!! Oh paaalease!!!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 02:23 am
I'd include the one for magnum ice creams in that lot Montana. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 02:24 am
Half a planet apart and we all get the same commercials.
0 Replies