Infuriating Commercials

Roberta

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 02:19 am
I'm not talking about annoying commercials or inane, stupid, irritating, or nonsensical commericals. I'm talking about commercials that make me ANGRY. Mad Some examples:

A young woman is shown flossing her teeth. She's clumsy and inept. She can't hold onto the dental floss. Then, horror of horrors, she's done flossing and is left with the used floss. She again demonstrates phenomenal ineptitude in getting rid of the floss. What is this a commercial for? A floss-holding device. Does dental floss present such a challenge that we need to stick some device in our mouth to help us floss our teeth? Grrrrrrrrr. Evil or Very Mad

A woman wants to clean one of the carpeted steps in her home. She tries to get the vacuum cleaner up to the step. She appears to be wrestling with the vacuum cleaner--or is it wrestling with her? Don't know. Don't care. The commercial is for a hand-held vacuum. Can't they sell those things without giving us the impression that vacuum cleaners are too complex for us to get up a step? Grrrrrrrr. Evil or Very Mad

Another vacuum cleaner commercial. Now we've got women having underground vacuuming contests. Snarl. Housework isn't hard enough and tedious enough? In our spare time, we're gonna vacuum for fun? Grrrrrrr. Evil or Very Mad

This one is a few years old. It's for a long-distance service. A teenager is shown tearing up a book page by page and faxing the pages to a friend. The father looks frustrated. Another teenager is on the phone long distance to someone far away. The father looks even more frustrated. I believe there may have been one more teenager with a phone. The father was further frustrated. Tell me, a2kers, were my parents the only ones in the US of A who told me not to make long-distance calls? Who actually told me to hang up when I was on the phone too long? Who would have had a conniption if I tore up a book? And they would have made me pay for it. Have parents stopped saying no? Don't? Can't? I don't believe so. Maybe I'm wrong. But this one made my blood boil. Grrrrrrr. Evil or Very Mad

And which commercials make your blood boil? Make you see red? Make smoke come out your nose and ears? Please share.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,833 • Replies: 86
No top replies

Turner 727

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 02:25 am
I'm a guy. . . don't want commercials. If God didn't want me to watch commercials, She wouldn't have invented the Remote Control.

That, and beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. (Thanks, Ben!)

I really don't like those "Zoom Zoom" commercials. . .
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:23 am
All the one's that seem to need women in bikini's to sell something. Half the time, you barely know what the product is.

Commercials with 21 year old models selling anti-ageing cream.

Acne cream adds showing models who've never had a pimple in their lives.

Millionaires asking me to donate to anything.

Ads for women's magazines with Princess Di on the cover. Maybe someone should tell them she's DEAD.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:28 am
It's really funny. My husband can't stand commercials, and he puts the TV on "mute" when they are on. On the other hand, I seem to have a "tuneout" circuit in my brain. I really couldn't tell you what many of the commercials are. Years ago, I watched them, but now I seem to have found a way to obliterate them from my sensory perception! Laughing
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:31 am
In the US do they increase the volume by 20 decibels during the ads? They certainly do here, despite assurances that such actions are supposed to be illegal.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:44 am
Wilso- I once heard an explanation for this. I may not be entirely technically correct, but I think that you will get the idea.

Let us say that the loudest a commercial is permitted to get is X decibels. In a normal TV show, there is a dynamic range within the sound frequencies. In other words, people speaking may reach a certain sound level, while a door slamming may be much louder, and people whispering in the background is softer.

With commercials, they raise the decibel level throughout the frequency ranges to the limit of permissibility, so that overall it appears much louder than the show itself.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:50 am
On robertas original point, our society has taken "and a child shall lead them " way too seriously. There is an implied advocacy of children making, and enforcing the rules. NOT IN MY HOUSE. i keep telling the kids that adulthood is something to be attained as a goal, not a time spent looking back on your "greatest days of childhood and puberty'

Mute is the greatest function button on the remote. i wish some people came with this feature
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:54 am
Commercials work by creating a sense of discontent. Your life would be perfect if you... You would be attractive if you bought... Your neighbors are happier than you because they...

Television works by creating dissatisfaction with the way things are.

Stop watching television and you may find a sense of contentment that you are missing during the hours behind the glowing box...

By the way... I've watched the guys at the presses outside the lab fiddling with the mold that makes the floss threader off and on for a year. Never appealed to me. (I've also measured the toothpaste cap with the floss built in... that seems less foolish to me.)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:57 am
Truly irritating or annoying ads stop me buying products, whereas ads only make me want to buy their product if it is something new and interesting.

One really deeply irritatingly stupid one currently is for a directory enquiries number and involves 2 weedy runners with droopy '80's moustaches shouting inanities - yuk! I'll NEVER ever use their number! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 09:39 am
Ok, here's the one that gets by blood boiling....

While mom goes shopping, dad is left at home with baby. Dad and the baby are sitting in the kitchen and as soon as the baby starts to make a little noise, dad says "Where's your mother?"

Now that one sends me right through the roof.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 09:56 am
Hey, I think that one of the reasons I got turned off by advertising, is the stuff that they do in Florida. I was used to the more sophisticated NY advertising.

Over here, the vast majority of ads are for trucks. Many of the actors are less than, shall we say, professional. Suppose that the ad agency wanted a "down home " feel.

There is one that I remember from a few years ago. It is for a plywood company, of all things. The three owners give their spiel, and then do that trick with their knees that people did when they did the Charleston, in the 1920's. All the time they are shouting, Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha. First time I heard it, I wanted to puke. I think that it was after that ad, that I turned off commercials for good!

One picture is worth a thousand words:

http://www.baycityplywood.com/
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 03:33 pm
I'm so lazy I have one of those Braun power flossers (Water Pic makes one also). Don't really like sticking my fingers in my mouth. You never know where they might have been.

My beef is the sound level and with 5.1 digital surround sound, it's even worse. I'd been channel surfing this morning, for instance, and came upon a channel which was blasting a commercial so loud, my first floor is now on the second floor.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 03:50 pm
Montana wrote:
Ok, here's the one that gets by blood boiling....

While mom goes shopping, dad is left at home with baby. Dad and the baby are sitting in the kitchen and as soon as the baby starts to make a little noise, dad says "Where's your mother?"

Now that one sends me right through the roof.

I've done this myself. Not because I can't handle the baby, but because I'd much rather my wife deal with it! Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 03:53 pm
Oh Turner. Not the thing tou want to be telling me ;-)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 04:16 pm
You mean Turner has a proposal on the table, Monty?
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 04:48 pm
The Sprint guy makes me ill. Is he actually supposed to be funny ?

Those awful diamond anniversary commercials, because THAT'S how you show someone you love her. (n o t)

And, ok, I'll say it: beer commercials that target "real men" as if they were gorillas.

(aw, c'mon, most of them are not.)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 01:35 am
Turner, I'm not a guy. People who aren't guys also don't want commercials. The problem with using the remote is that most network stations show their commercials at the same time. Very annoying. Who's Ben?

Wilso, Princess Di is dead? Why am I always the last to know? BTW, I agree. All too often people are selling stuff that they obviously don't need. Also, the decibel level going up during commercials isn't as much of a problem as it used to be. But it still happens.

Phoenix, I admire your ability to tune out. I'm ambivalent about totally disengaging. Some commercials are clever. And some have wonderful music. As for local commercials. They can be beyond irritating no matter whether they're from Florida or New York. Any local commercial in which the business owner and/or his or her family is involved SUCKS. Without fail. Every time.

LW, Lazy I can deal with. You're too lazy to floss. Okay with me. But inept? Dental floss is just too much of a challenge? Aaaaargh! As for decibel levels, I've noticed that some stations are louder than others. The Animal Planet is the loudest. And A&E is barely audible.

Farmerman, Glad to hear that parental nos are not a thing of the past. And I can think of a few people for whom a mute button would be ideal.

Sealpoet, I know a number of people who have given up tv viewing. I won't be one of them. I'm amazed that you watched the lab guys working on the dental floss holder. You're right. The floss witht he toothpaste tube is a slightly more intelligent idea. However, I usually run out of toothpaste long before the floss is gone. With the two-in-one arrangement, is it possible to separate the floss from the toothpaste?

Vivien, There have been a few commercials that have driven me away from the products they're selling. Ring aroung the collar and please don't squeeze the Charmin are two that come to mind readily.

Montana, I've seen that commercial. It never bothered me. Of course now that you've brought it up, it probably will.

Angie, Is the Sprint guy the one who keeps saying "Can you hear me now?" Enough already. The diamond commercials don't bother me. And guys aren't gorillas? Who knew?
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 07:30 am
The Verizon guy is the "Can you hear me now?" guy. You should see my two year old run around the house "Can you hear me? Good." does it for about five minutes after that commercial is over. And then we get him doing it in the car. . .

Monty - Let's face it, I'm just lazy. I'd much rather have someone else deal with the things that upset me. . . but then, who wouldn't?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 10:12 am
Most people are lazy about flossing -- ask any dentist. Yes, I do find winding the floss around my fingers and trying to get it between my teeth to be awkward and as I have a limited bite, I can't even get to all of my teeth (the technician who cleans my teeth has they same problem.) The water pick (I have a unit that attaches directly to the faucet) and the Braun Interclean does a great job. I would imagine the floss holder (which is not really new) will sell very well. There's even a toothpaste with the floss in the cap!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 12:09 pm
Turner_727 wrote:
The Verizon guy is the "Can you hear me now?" guy. You should see my two year old run around the house "Can you hear me? Good." does it for about five minutes after that commercial is over. And then we get him doing it in the car. . .

Monty - Let's face it, I'm just lazy. I'd much rather have someone else deal with the things that upset me. . . but then, who wouldn't?

I'm sure we moms feel the same way at times, but who will we turn too? ;-)
0 Replies