Walking Journal and Walking Stories

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 12:59 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm curious ehBeth... who is the squad leader of this canine platoon?

I'd fathom it's the little one because he seems involved in all of the photographed activities like a good leader should be.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 01:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
ha!

Little Dog tried to keep up with the bigger dogs but he didn't have the stamina yet. He was only 8 weeks old on the day of that walk. We took turns carrying him - he'd run like mad after Bailey (midsize blonde dog - the pack leader) and Buck (big black dog) for about 5 minutes and then have to be carried for about 5 minutes.

He was apparently asleep before his chauffeur had the car back on the highway.

My two dogs slept all the way back from Kingston to Toronto.

The two bigger country dogs slept in the sun all afternoon after we'd left.

Dogs and walking - good for everyone!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 02:18 pm
@farmerman,
Make me a third Scheeler fan.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 02:21 pm
@ehBeth,
Poor BAiley and poor you. Our Labrador retriever rolled in something so dead it was gooey. We locked him in the garage over night then I begged a dog groomer to clean him up. When I went to pick up Fortinbras (that was the dog's name), the groomer just said, "That was gross."
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 02:29 pm
@plainoldme,
I wonder when dogs sniff each other it's like when entertainment reporters ask the movie stars 'what are you wearing' when they attend the Oscars?

Yorkie to Labrador retriever: So... brownie? Who are you wearing today?
Labrador retriever: I'm wearing the essence of 3 day old road kill raccoon.
Yorkie: You smell absolutely fabulous!!
msolga

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 06:43 pm
I really enjoyed both your walking posts, farmer & Beth.
Loved 'em! Smile

More, I say!

Tsar, this has become just about my favourite A2K thread, both for the terrific reads from others & also for the pleasure of sharing my own walking bits n pieces here..

Did you getting much walking done in Washington, tsar?
Or was it more a (bus) traveling experience?
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 07:04 pm
@msolga,
I did walk around after the event but only in order to try and find the bus station. I inevitably got lost and I had to rely on an unreliable Google Maps search.

My phone was on the verge of dying ... battery wise and since I couldn't remember what address the bus station was and typing Greyhound bus station gave me several ambiguous answers I spent 2 hours trying to find the bus station.

As a walking jaunt? It was quite tiring and not really notable.

Planned on going to grab a bite to eat but the major strip of restaurants in the immediate area had an average of 20 waiting in line outside their respective doors so I decided to head back to the bus station to grab an earlier ride back. That's when I realized my phone's battery on the verge of dead and that Google maps wasn't much of a help.
msolga

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 07:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
As a walking jaunt? It was quite tiring and not really notable.

Well the purpose of your trip wasn't major walks or to take in the Washington scenery, was it, tsar? Smile Wink

And tired walking is never fun. I hope you're feeling a bit revived by now.

So I'll look forward to your next NYC (& wherever else) installments, for sure! Smile

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 06:57 am
@tsarstepan,
What a brilliant analogy! Dog sniffing to red carpet sniffing!

I really love to dress up but the problem is there is no place left to go where really nice clothes are the rule. So, we have this fantasy of actresses in elaborate dresses while average women wear jeans everywhere.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 07:01 am
@tsarstepan,
Yeah, and eating at the bus station is NOT recommended! I visited my granddaughters when my son and DIL still lived in upstate NY at the end of winter. I worried that a snow storm would appear out of nowhere, so didn't drive. I had a fish sandwich at a Greyhound terminal. The fish was still frozen when the deli person deep fried it and cooked unevenly so that it was partly burned and partly raw. Not a taste treat.

George

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 07:16 am
@plainoldme,
In Cambridge's Kendall Square there used to be a little lunch place near the
entrance to the subway station. It was was called the "Terminal Cafe".
A rather inauspicious name for a restaurant -- I never ate there.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 08:00 am
@George,
It is inauspicious! Funny, too!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 11:21 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

What a brilliant analogy! Dog sniffing to red carpet sniffing!

I really love to dress up but the problem is there is no place left to go where really nice clothes are the rule. So, we have this fantasy of actresses in elaborate dresses while average women wear jeans everywhere.

I get easily intimidated in those haute cuisine restaurants which I believe I have only visited twice in my life. One such experience in Pittsburgh situated on a top of a very high hill overlooking Downtown Pittsburgh (one of the best cityscapes I have ever witnessed). Never felt so out of place in my life.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 08:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
Tsar, I just came across your thread and I'm hooked and motivated.
As of now, I'm only on page seven and on wonderfully interesting threads, I have to read everything. It will be some time before I've caught up, but the read and the pics are well worth it.

Another lovely aspect is reading about walking at the same time but in two opposite hemispheres, one enjoying spring and the other taking place in fall, with stunning turning colors.

All I need to do now is actually start walking!
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 09:38 pm
@Diane,
I'm glad you found it Diane. Hopefully you can drop in some walking adventures of your own as well.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 12:51 am
@Diane,
Diane

I've taken a leaf out of your book, and read this thread all over again! Some great walking stories.

Spring is sprung, and so is weight - time to walk again!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:33 pm
Just got off the 59th St. bridge and am now am in Queens. Walking from the Lincoln Square cinema after seeing Harry Potter tonight.
msolga

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 10:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Just got off the 59th St. bridge ....

Sorry, tsar, but you kinda asked for it! Wink Very Happy
(Duh. talk about obvious, msolga!)

So, a good night for a walk, tsar?
(I imagine it's getting rather chilly, yes?
Enjoy the movie?

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 10:31 pm
@msolga,
Great movie and beautiful weather. It's in the mid 50's so with a sweater and scarf and hat... all good.

And umm... thanks for the Simon and Garfunkel. However I never new the name of that song....
msolga

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 10:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
Glad you enjoyed yourself, tsar.

Me, I'm hoping to start walking again tomorrow morning. (I kind of lapsed. Neutral )
I left it too late today & it was not such a great idea anymore. (32 c. Mad dogs & Englishmen walking weather ..)

Anyone else walking?
0 Replies