Walking Journal and Walking Stories

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 02:00 pm
Walking to the Midmanhattan library. Then walking home.
Keep your fingers crossed for no rain....
msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 07:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Walking to the Midmanhattan library. Then walking home.
Keep your fingers crossed for no rain....

(I did that. I hope it worked.)

Well, tsar?
A good walk?
Did the rain hold off?
Any good walking tales to tell ...?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 08:14 pm
@msolga,
Well it sprinkled and turned to a light rain but I had an umbrella so I was safe.

My shoes are soaked but since I'm getting another paid day off Thursday that doesn't bother me. Other then the sprinkling rain, the weather and temperature was nice.

But I am amazed by my pure luck. I personally never (at least had never remembered) saw a double rainbow outside of a few photographs before:
http://i53.tinypic.com/j99f03.jpg
View from Long Island City, Queens.

And if I had a better camera then my Sony-Ericsson cell phone, this shot of the sky after it started to clear up might have been quite spectacular:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2ptyq3b.jpg
hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 08:22 pm
Ooh, glad someone bumped this. Does cycling count too? Mrs Hinge is trying to talk me into doing some cure for cancer ride next year Cairns t0 Currumbin or somewhere. 800 km in a week.

Will get some slideshows up of our European walks. Camino di Santiago, Cinque Terra, Tuscany, and the Dordogne. Less than two years to Corsica!
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 08:24 pm
@hingehead,
Cycling is an accepted currency here hingehead.

Can't wait to see the slideshow as well. Smile
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 08:24 pm
Hanging in for your pics and stories, hinge.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 08:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
But I am amazed by my pure luck. I personally never (at least had never remembered) saw a double rainbow outside of a few photographs before:

Hey, that's pretty unusual, tsar! Well done!
A good omen, too, I hope!

A question about your second photograph: What are those tall, round towers in the background? They intrigue me.

Good to hear you didn't get too wet! Smile
msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 08:26 pm
@hingehead,
Looking forward to see those, too, hinge.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 08:31 pm
@msolga,
I knew they were some kind of smoke stacks. I had to look them up to see exactly what they were for.
http://i53.tinypic.com/14kjhvb.jpg
The view from Roosevelt Island. The island is in the middle of the East River. The East River runs North and South. The camera here is facing an Easterly direction. If the photographer did a 180 degree turn, he'd see the Manhattan skyline.
Quote:
These smokestacks, which are prominent on the NYC skyline, are part of the power generating facility Ravenswood No. 3, also known as Big Allis (named after the turbine manufacturer Allis-Chalmers Corp.) The power plant sits on the shore of the East River in Queens on Vernon Boulevard, in a neighborhood known as Ravenswood in Long Island City.

http://newyorkdailyphoto.blogspot.com/2007/01/big-allis.html

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 08:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ah.
Thank you for that tsar.
(And sorry that I created a bit of extra work for you in the process!
I'm sure you've noticed that that image you posted didn't work. I tried to fix it in my post, but couldn't. )
msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 08:38 pm
@msolga,
Let's see if I managed it this time:

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/6185/2477/1600/647150/BigAllis700.jpg

That's what I'd call a very interesting industrial landscape!
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 08:43 pm
@msolga,
Artists like Charles Sheeler have always fascinated me. He's a painter and photographer of the American industrial landscape.
http://www.artchive.com/artchive/S/sheeler.html
msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 08:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm intrigued too, now, from the little peek I've just taken.
I'll definitely investigate further, later on when I have more time.
Thanks, tsar.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 05:26 am
@tsarstepan,
I too, like Scheelers work. I especially like his later works from the 50's when he was creating scenes by overlaying diagonals and repeat segments of hias more industrial and "barn" subjects. He could take a barn scene (typical boring Pennsylvania stuff) and infuse it with direction, color , and structure.
I always submitted that SCheeler owed much of his later style, not only from his associations with William Merritt Chase, but also Charles Demuth .
There is a whole tradition of later "diagonal" colorists after SCheeler. Guys like David Brumbaugh became celebrated local Pa artists
(Pa claims Scheeler as one of ours)

http://www.michenermuseum.org/kiosk/images/image/682.jpg

Heres a SCheeler painting of a Bucks County barn. This was done in 1918. He gets better with time. Ill find some
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 10:45 am
@farmerman,
Thank you FM for the introduction to Sheeler's peers and teachers. I will delight in learning from his artistic peers and parentage.

A pleasant unexpected pathway for a mental walking jaunt.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 02:06 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Heres a SCheeler painting of a Bucks County barn. This was done in 1918. He gets better with time. Ill find some

It seems he does, farmer. I love that barn painting! (Someone should start a thread on this fellow. <hint, hint> I'd be VERY interested!)

Walked today during a break from the remarkable deluge we've been experiencing over the last 24+ hours in Melbourne ... (which I am delighted about! Very Happy )
The sky was very cloudy & overcast, with more rain threatening at any minute, so it seemed very sensible to walk undercover this time, rather than out in the open.
A mere 6 kilometre walk was all we managed. But there was good reason: My friend is suffering from a broken heart, so had little enthusiasm for anything much at all ... (though I though some physical exercise would do her a powerful world of good! It did.)
And me .. well I'm nowhere near fully recovered from a rather nasty cold, so I was not my energetic walker self today, not by a very long shot ...
But anyway, we soldiered on!
Sydney Road seemed the safest bet, to avoid both of us getting drenched to the skin. The deal was, we'd walk until she felt she'd had enough, then we'd turn around & head back north at that point.
It ended up being quite a pleasant jaunt. We stopped at the A1 Bakery (Lebanese foodies' heaven ) & enjoyed a few of their absolutely scrumptious spinach & cheese turnovers for lunch, while we sat at one of their footpath tables & chatted. Nice.
We managed to make it home again without a single drop of rain falling on us. Amazing. (If you saw that angry, threatening sky overhead, you'd agree.)

Looking out my window now. Guess what. It's raining again. Smile

farmerman

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 09:44 am
@msolga,
This AM was a brisk morning. we had our first temperatures below freezing and, with the sun making later and later appearances ,it stayed frosty until about 9AM. I walked along a long stretch of country road in the rising sun. There were lots of AMish buggies on their ways to Sunday services at aparishioners house that is selected weekly. The AMish all wave at everybody so I was constantly waving back as I walked. Ernie went with me and he was really well behaved. I think hes showing all the classic signs of an old dog. HE doesnt range out , he stays by my side. HE doesnt just burst out in wild runs to chase after every rabbit that taunts him by exploding out of a huge rosebush.
I had a mission this morning. I wanted to see whether the bald eagles, who always hang around our area from October to December, would pair up and decide to set up housekeeping in the big woods near the fire ponds that mark the edges of the woods.
This year we already have several beaver dens under construction ,and , this morning, I saw three eagles.To me,it looked like the eagles were at least showing their ritual flying and swooping and tumbling in mid air. I imagine that these midair tricks are a form of foreplay for eagles ,or at least an attempt to rekindle old passions. So, indeed,There are some signs that we may have an eagles nest in our futures. Besides the foreplay flying, one of the local farmers,RH, while out in the field dumping some hay manure in a recently harvested crop row, said yesterday that he saw one of the eagles flying around with sticks in his beak. Eagles nests cant be missed, they alsway look like someone was trying to store a load of hay in a tree crotch. They are not very neat , with branches sticking out all over, and once built, they will return to the same pile of rubble for years and years .
My walk was about 4 miles of easy plodding over the dirt road and mixed in with tromping through the moist clinging soil of recently cut cornfields.
I made a mental note that Ive gotta do this several times a week just to check up on these birds
ehBeth

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 10:46 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Will get some slideshows up of our European walks. Camino di Santiago, Cinque Terra, Tuscany, and the Dordogne. Less than two years to Corsica!

ohhhhhhh the Camino - pictures please

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

most of my walks involve something with the dogs

a few weeks ago, when we visited hamburgboy, we took a drive up to visit my best friends (he was my best pal in grade 1, she became my bff in grade 10). another grade 1 friend of mr bff was there with the puppy she bought for visiting her hubby in hospital (he's got Lou Gehrig's - has lived in hospital for a couple of years now)

there was a long walk through the fields and woods - 5 dogs (ranging in size from 1.5 pounds to 130 pounds), 3 grade 1 chums + 1 high school pal and hamburgboy.

for most of the walk, I held Buck's leash - he's one of the country dogs and has a history as a runner

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs813.snc4/69371_1621490093345_1119214657_31737045_3339243_n.jpg

at the end of the walk, Little Dog wanted to join Kelly in a drink of water, but he couldn't reach the lip of the water tub

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs172.snc4/37944_1621485533231_1119214657_31737037_947939_n.jpg

Cleo (all 23 pounds of her) looks like a BIG dog next to Little Dog

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs789.snc4/66900_1621485893240_1119214657_31737039_5903611_n.jpg

I had to wipe down Bailey from some ripe dead animal he'd rolled in - Little Dog was intrigued by the smell and tried to join in

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs291.snc4/40888_1621486573257_1119214657_31737043_8062093_n.jpg

then the five dogs kinda hung around - funnily enough, the city dogs weren't the ones that needed to be on leashes

one furface and four furbutts

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs264.snc4/39539_1621486013243_1119214657_31737040_5524826_n.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 12:51 pm
@msolga,
Sounds like a very productive sojourn MsOlga. Comforting a friend, good exercise, and a good fuel up. All in one dry rain free package. Cool
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 12:55 pm
@farmerman,
FM? What an amazing nature walk. Accompanied with a great sounding 4 legged friend. Please keep us informed on the eagles romantic measures and the beavers industrial endeavors! Very Happy
0 Replies