Can Exercise Make You More Creative?

jespah

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 06:25 pm
This recent NY Times article is pretty fascinating. For those who are on the other side of the paywall, here's an excerpt:
NY Times wrote:
Some past research had speculated that good moods might be the intermediary linking activity and creativity. According to that idea, moving makes people happier, and their good cheer in turn makes them more creative; in that scenario, moving does not directly affect creative thinking.

To learn more, the researchers gathered 79 healthy adults, gave them activity trackers for five days and then asked them to visit the lab and let their imaginations soar, conceiving new uses for car tires and umbrellas and finishing partial drawings. The researchers then rated their output on its originality and other measures. The volunteers also completed standard questionnaires about their moods.

Finally, the scientists crosschecked the data, using a complex form of statistical analysis that incorporates findings from related, earlier research (to give the results more statistical heft) and weighs how much of a role a potential mediator plays. In this case, the researchers wondered, did being happy relate closely both to how much people moved and their creativity, meaning it linked the two?

The answer, the researchers concluded, was no. The most active of the volunteers proved to be also the most creative, especially if they often walked or otherwise exercised moderately. Active people also tended to be happy people, although their moods were highest if they engaged in relatively vigorous activities, like jogging or playing sports, rather than moderate ones.

With my own personal sample size of one, I can definitely support this. Getting active (sometimes the day before, by the way), particularly outside, seems to spur more creativity and it helps to kick out writer's block.

See: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/03/well/exercise-creativity.html

Have you noticed a correlation between movement and creativity?

roger

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 08:21 pm
@jespah,
Hey, I might try that - someday.
0 Replies

knaivete

Mon 8 Feb, 2021 05:36 am
I want a DOSE of what she's having.

farmerman

Mon 8 Feb, 2021 06:46 am
@knaivete,
I find a nap does much the same. Exercise makes me tired. I get tired , I take a nap. I get up then start painting . Usually with some new ideas.

Being stoked up creatively doesnt mean that my ideas are any good.
Jennie Hunt

Mon 8 Feb, 2021 10:09 am
@jespah,
Yes...I believed that exercise makes you more creative
0 Replies

roger

Mon 8 Feb, 2021 11:46 am
@farmerman,
Now yer talkin'
0 Replies

chai2

Tue 9 Feb, 2021 11:13 pm
Naps make me feel rested, but don't inspire me. When I exercise it immediately improves mood. I guess maybe creativity in that I seem to find solutions for, not necessarily what you would call problems, more like environmental goings on.

When I want to be creative, I actually visualize a pot on a back burner of the stove, with what I want to do on a very low simmer.

Then I forget about it and go about my business for even days. Then, as if from out of nowhere, whatever was in the pot has stewed enough, and let's me know it's done.
0 Replies