Any inspiring suggestions for a person who is out of sorts, not feeling too wonderful ....

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 01:15 am
... feeling rather crapped off with life, feeling kinda OLD & not just a wee bit jaded, feeling rather fed up with the daily drag & drain, feeling unusually uninspired ....?

This person is me, at the moment (actually a bit longer than that), of course.

But I don't want to talk about me at length. Actually, I'd rather not. (Pretty unexciting, really.)

What I'd like you to share is this:

What do YOU do to pick yourself up, brush yourself off & revive your spirits when you feel like this?

No, I don't mean visiting a shrink, taking anti-depressants or embracing religion (heaven forbid!).

I mean what are your ways of reviving that spark that normally keeps you going, but suddenly seems to have deserted you?

If you have no brilliant suggestions it is perfectly OK if you post some good uplifting (of the spirits) music, or tell the funniest joke you've heard recently .... a hearty laugh would be good! Or whatever.

So.... I look forward to any constructive suggestions, stories, jokes, music, anecdotes, words of wisdom, whatever has helped you to lift yourself out of life's glums.

I may shut up & just listen! Smile

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 27 • Views: 12,150 • Replies: 165

Ragman

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 01:44 am
@msolga,
1. try volunteering or help a friend or relative with something they really need.
2. go to hair-dresser/get a new do, or a mani/pedi, massage or spa treatment
3. read a great book (travel is always good) or rent a great classic movie
4. go to an exceptional art gallery or exhibit or seek and buy some special art for a treat
5. get together with a special friend and laugh for the hell of it
6. shut off any source of media news for at least a week.
7. if you drink wine or enjoy a gourmet treat, buy a special red wine and some gourmet chocolate
8. get some sort of new (to you) type of exercise that breaks your daily routine
9. take a drive out in the country and have a picnic with yourself or someone fun/cheerful and won't talk about anything bothersome.
10. make a list of some of your accomplishments over the last 5 years that made someone else's life a little better. If the list is as short as mine is, then go out and add a new accomplishment and start a new list.
msolga

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 01:51 am
@Ragman,
Thanks, Ragman.

This one:
Quote:

Might actually be of some benefit. Though I don't know if it is do-able, really. Wink

A completely new experience!

dadpad

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 01:56 am
Keep Putting one foot in front of the other. Something will turn up.

You could always come dig up my front yard and get the new grass seed in
msolga

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 01:59 am
@dadpad,
Quote:
Keep Putting one foot in front of the other. Something will turn up.

Smile Yes, I've gotta remember that!

Thanks for reminding me, dp.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:02 am
@dadpad,
Quote:
You could always come dig up my front yard and get the new grass seed in

I should do that to my own front & back yards!

Energy & will!

How/why do they desert you so suddenly? Confused
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:19 am
Go to a gym Ms olga. It's pretty amazing how good a workout can make you feel.
You might be dehydrated. get a magnesium supplement and drink water.

Mumpad is cooking using store bought free range eggs.
One of the eggs is off.

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:22 am
@dadpad,
Quote:

Yes?

Are you speaking from experience, dp?

Quote:
Mumpad is cooking using stor bought free range eggs.
One of the eggs is off.

You can't trust those store bought "free range" eggs!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:32 am
@msolga,
I turn my attention to memory of the death of communism to cheer me up! It works great.
I 'm doing that toward the incremental death of gun control, too.

U can spend some time in your memory of your best successes,
or happy incidents in your life.

David
dadpad

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:32 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:

Yes?
Are you speaking from experience, dp?

Yes. although the gym here closed some years ago so I dont go at present but I used to go after work 3 times a week.
msolga

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:37 am
@dadpad,
Well, that would be a new experience!

More of a (very fast) walker for exercise , plus everyday exerter (like gardening - lots of it) myself.

I'll give that some thought, dp. Thanks.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:37 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Thanks, Ragman.

This one:
Quote:

Might actually be of some benefit. Though I don't know if it is do-able, really. Wink

A completely new experience!

THEN DO IT!!!!

Truly, it might make a difference for you.
msolga

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:56 am
@dlowan,
That was very emphatic, Deb!

This approach has been of assistance to you?
msolga

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 02:58 am
Off to cook dinner now.

But, can I please reiterate?

I asked what had helped YOU.

Hoping to hear more.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 03:04 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

That was very emphatic, Deb!

This approach has been of assistance to you?

Likely less for me than for you, but yes.

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 05:14 am
The gym idea is a good one (or just walking -- I've been doing a lot of that lately as I'm too busy for the round-trip to the gym). So is the idea of listing your accomplishments and going out and making new ones.

For me, it's also learning something new, no matter what it is (for me these days it's web development). It need not be academic. Perhaps you'd be jazzed learning how to crochet, and then feeling good and empowered and happy by seeing (and using!) a scarf you'd made by yourself. It's not the crocheting, per se, it's the idea of creating.

Speaking of that, do you paint? Draw? Sculpt? Take photographs? Make music? Making art can be very helpful. Even if you're not super-talented, you can usually make a collage.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 05:19 am
@msolga,
When we went up to MAine last week, I only could look into A2K from a wifi site, and I was essentially off the board for most of the days. I found this especially refreshing .

When I get really down, (and this happens about the time when the seasons begin to change) I start with my light therpy and get myself bathed in artificial morning light . Ill set up a dimmer and a clock to turn on a light that gradually lights up. WELL, it turns out that several companies actually make these things as SAD tretments. Id consider maybe looking into one of these . In the last several years my seasona irascibility and "general "funk" has been much more agreeable and last holiday season I actually enjoyed myself (as long as I continued the light thwrapy)

STrong exercise like long hikes and/or bicycling often helps . Its my "border collie" therapy. Id noticed that my border collie STasha, when she works her ass off with herding the sheep and just doing "Doggie errands for me" is in a seemingly much higher spirits the next morning than if whe just lolls around the house with no purpose .
"A Tired doggie is a happy doggie",
So, Im just sayimng that it may be possible to use that same methodology with ourselves. It kinda works for me , but I like hiking more than biking.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 05:20 am
belly dancing?

where's ehbeth.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 05:21 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I turn my attention to memory of the death of communism to cheer me up! It works great.
I 'm doing that toward the incremental death of gun control, too.
Seriously Dave , youve gotta work on getting a few more "dimensions " in your life.
sullyfish6

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 05:58 am
I like to look for inspiratons that help me feel better. I have on my frig now:

Don't cry because it's over,
Smile because it happened.

I get down if I don't pay attnetion to my HALT levels.
Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired.
If any combo of these get out of whack, I fall apart.

Drinking alcohol can be bad too. (too much, that is) It's a depressant.

Massages help. Flirting or anticipation of love also helps.

Exercise is a must to reduce enxiety. A brisk walk for 45 minutes helps.
0 Replies