Any inspiring suggestions for a person who is out of sorts, not feeling too wonderful ....

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 06:03 am
Thank you for your thoughtful posts, everyone.

Reading. Absorbing. Thinking. Considering ...
msolga

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:07 am
@msolga,
It seems a very good idea to have an early night, so off I go.
Night, all.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:16 am
Take yourself out of your comfort zone. Go for a hike, take an over-night trip, read a book in a genre you don't usually like, cook a dish you've never tried before.....
dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:28 am
I agree with the exercise folk...but I also find it good to have stuff to look forward to...you know, to schedule nice things to do. For me, quite social things, where i get to be silly and talk a lot, and really be stimulated are good.

The garden (when I had one) was a great way to work out the blahs....especially planning and executing a big project.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:30 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Take yourself out of your comfort zone. Go for a hike, take an over-night trip, read a book in a genre you don't usually like, cook a dish you've never tried before.....

Actually, that's a great idea. I find doing something that kind of scares me a bit (like my trips to the back of beyond...especially the latest one) can brihjng a real high once accomplished.

Since I am so anxious, lots of things make me feel a bit anxious, so I have lots to choose from.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 08:08 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Any inspiring suggestions for a person who is out of sorts, not feeling too wonderful... feeling rather crapped off with life, feeling kinda OLD & not just a wee bit jaded, feeling rather fed up with the daily drag & drain, feeling unusually uninspired ....?

In the short term, I just wallow in self-pity.

In the long term, things that make me feel better include exercise (especially hiking), cleaning up my apartment (which is usually messy), and talking, or hanging out, or chatting on the internet, with friends. Programming too, but I suppose that wouldn't be an option for you.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 08:58 am
I journal. I'm not a writer, nor am I one who journals regularly, but I find that writing my thoughts and feelings in a daily journal helps me figure out where to go from here when I'm upside down in my sense of life's direction.

Some folks do it here. I can't imagine myself ever doing that, but it works for some. I pour myself a cup of coffee and sit in my favorite chair and write - sometimes half a page, sometimes a screed that covers pages on end.

Last fall I had an episode similar to what you're describing. My youngest daughter will be leaving home soon, I'm bored in my career, and I had no idea what was coming next in my life. I was very unsettled. I wrote daily -- just thoughts about how I was feeling and what I was thinking. I also reread one of the books that I've recommended to others over the years, Gail Sheehy's New Passages. The following statements stopped me cold:

Quote:
"Imagine yourself in the ocean. Sometimes the current of life is fairly calm, and you can move along with it. Even if it's choppy, you can take the waves, perhaps readjust your course, and push forward. But at other times, when a storm blows up, the waves swell so high they threaten to overwhelm you. At that point you don't fight the waves; you go with them. And you try to retain a sense about yourself that you will eventually find your sea legs in spite of the storm. The chances are that if you remain calm and alert, you will land safely."

I reread that paragraph over and over and realized I was doing just that - fighting against the waves, trying to swim through the storm. I stopped looking for direction and allowed myself to float. I'm still floating. I still have no idea what's going to come next, but I'm ok with that now. Actually, I'm more than ok with it - I'm enjoying the feeling of peace that it brings.

So, I have two suggestions. Journal, if you don't already, and check out Gail Sheehy's New Passages for an understanding that what you're feeling is perfectly normal and good so long as you don't get trapped by it.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 09:09 am
What works for me is getting back in touch with nature and immersing myself in it. I'm the type of person who needs alone time now and then. When I don't have it, it shows.

When I was living in California, I had three spots I went to for rejuvenation of spirit. I haven't found such a spot yet here in New Mexico.

When I was much younger, I would go to a friend's house at the top of a hill in Pt. Reyes National Seashore. It only took a day's visit there to feel like I'd had a whole week's vacation. Sometimes we flew kites if the winds were perfect for it. Other times we just hiked up to the top of the hill and had a picnic lunch. Their house overlooked Tomales Bay so I got the best of all worlds while there - exercise, fresh sea air, and the hypnotic views of the bay and a good soak in a hot tub.

As I got older, I started renting a mountain cabin from a friend for a week at a time after the pressures of year-end close and audit season were done with. The weather was still brisk and I would spend the first couple of days in bed catching up on sleep and reading an entertaining book. Some years there was a late snow and I'd go out and make a snowman and play in the snow. Other years, I'd walk around the mountain town, gather wood for the fireplace and listen to some great music, just spending some alone time with myself to recharge my batteries.

In the last few years before moving to New Mexico, I took driving trips down the coast to Monterey and spent the night in Pacific Grove (otherwise known as Butterfly Town) during the monarch butterfly migration. I'd take walks along the seashore or drive the scenic highway for miles down the coast.

Another thing that all these spots have in common is the air is highly charged with ions and just makes you feel better being there. I often get a similar refreshing moment at large water fountains. If you can't get away to nature for a few days, try making a trip to your favorite water fountain for a bag lunch sitting around the fountain.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 09:12 am
what works for me?

dancing
swimming
walking briskly with dogs

swimming is actually the very best for me

~~~

turn off the news
listen to all-music radio

___

a colleague came back to work this a.m. after a vacation where she was news-free for 10 days - it wasn't til she was at the airport and heard "Europe" mutterings that she had any idea what was going on out past the end of her arms - she looks amazing - so refreshed - the only lines her face has today is laugh lines
ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 09:14 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
Another thing that all these spots have in common is the air is highly charged with ions and just makes you feel better being there. I often get a similar refreshing moment at large water fountains. If you can't get away to nature for a few days, try making a trip to your favorite water fountain for a bag lunch sitting around the fountain.

this is interesting. Around the time of mrs. hamburger's death, I spent almost every lunch at an outdoor waterfall wall. Relaxing and refreshing. It helped enormously.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 09:20 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
what works for me?

dancing
swimming
walking briskly with dogs

swimming is actually the very best for me

~~~

turn off the news
listen to all-music radio

___

a colleague came back to work this a.m. after a vacation where she was news-free for 10 days - it wasn't til she was at the airport and heard "Europe" mutterings that she had any idea what was going on out past the end of her arms - she looks amazing - so refreshed - the only lines her face has today is laugh lines
At the airport, she found out about the volcano ?

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 09:22 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Butrflynet wrote:

this is interesting. Around the time of mrs. hamburger's death,
I spent almost every lunch at an outdoor waterfall wall. Relaxing and refreshing. It helped enormously.
Possibly, it might help to take counsel of people who have returned from death?

www.IANDS.org

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 09:23 am
@ehBeth,
It is the negative ions in the air around the waterfall or fountains. There are some types of home air filters that produce negative ions in the home that help give a similar feeling in the home.

Here's a page that talks about the effects of negative ions:

http://www.negativeiongenerators.com/negativeions.html

MsOlga, if you want to give one a try, there's a wide range of ionizers on Amazon for just about any price range:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_kk_1?rh=i%3Agarden%2Ck%3Aair+ionizer&keywords=air+ionizer&ie=UTF8&qid=1271777176
Letty

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 09:27 am
@msolga,
Laughter works for me. When I was out of sorts, Bud would say:

Okay, I'm off to the grocery store to buy you some more.

When I went outside this morning, the guy "Gus" next door was playing LOUD music on his car radio. I said, Hey, gus, wanna dance? I then did a little step or two. He laughed and it was genuine.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 09:38 am
@OmSigDAVID,
the volcano, the pope, all kinds of things
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 09:38 am
Most of it has been said already and I am just reinforcing the idea of being
physically active. It doesn't have to be strenuous, Yoga is great in reducing
stress and very uplifting to one's mood. I talked my Mom into Yoga - it took a long time before she finally went - but now, she is hooked, because it makes her feel good, and it really does!

Volunteering is definitely a mood enhancer. I even made friends there,
really good valuable friends. Since you're a teacher by heart, MsOlga,
teaching ESL (English as a second language) could be so rewarding and great
fun at the same time. My daughter will soon start volunteering at the local
animal shelter and I know it will get her through her teenage insecurities and
uplift her self esteem. There is nothing more invigorating than helping others!

You also could take classes - I did a pottery class once at our local university and it was so much fun. Dto. for cooking classes - South American cuisine perhaps - something you don't normally cook.

I have an older aunt in Germany who became "grandma" to a family with
several small children. They were new in town and had no relatives close by.
So my aunt spends several hours a week with the kids, takes them to the zoo and other outings and has a great time with them.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 09:52 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
the volcano, the pope, all kinds of things
I hope that it did not interfere with her plans; (the volcano, not the Pope).
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 10:09 am
What do I do to pick myself up, brush myself off & revive my spirits?

Stage one
Turn the ringers off on all the telephones.
Turn on the answering machine.
Don't answer the door.
Don't open the mail.
Don't watch the news.
Make sure the house is nice and clean including fresh bedding.
Make sure the fridge is stocked with snacks (fairly healthy stuff)
Drink lots of chamomile tea.
No alcohol, tobacco or drugs.
Make sure I have comfortable clothes.

Stage Two
Eat said fairly healthy snacks and sleep until I'm all slept out.

Stage Three
Take the dog around the lake and do other simple direct pleasant activities such as sex or playing pool or sex on the pool table...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 10:24 am
@msolga,
good old blues, msO...

elmore james
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBA2REoRD98
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 10:27 am
@msolga,
We all deal with such things throughout our lives. It's easy to generalize about remedies, but hard to really connect with other people regarding them. However, I'll try - even though I apply them only imperfectly in my own life.

To a large extent happiness is a choice. There is always reason to be sad and depressed: life ends in decay and death; things go wrong all the time; and hopes are not always fully realized. However, there are also almost always things to be treasured and reasons to be joyful. Choose to connect with the good things about you; the people you meet. Choose to be happy for them.

Try to connect with the people you encounter and see things, as well as you can, through their perspective. Find (or try to find) something you like in everyone. Be persistent, because it doesn't always work at first (with some, alas, it doesn't work at all). The effort gets you out of what may be a depressing cycle of self preoccupations.

Physical exercise and activity is indeed important - our nature requires it. Regular hard physical exercise was part of the routine at the Naval Academy and in Flight Training, and it became a habit that has stayed with me ever since. Hard exercise doesn't solve any of my problems, but for about twenty hours afterwards, I don't give a damn - then its almost time to do it again. It also makes it easier for me to make the wise choices indicated above. (I'll confess that I often have to force myself to do it - the wise understanding often comes only after the workout Wink ).

Don't become preoccupied with the many imperfections of the world and human society. The planet we inhabit is and has always been an unstable and dynamic thing - mass extinctions, geological and climactic changes are the rule, not the exception. One day the expanding red giant sun will engulf it all in a fiery end. Humans (and other creatures) have been killing and exploiting each other for as long as history records events. All things considered, we are doing it relatively less now and our species is thriving. Our lives and our environment are fleeting things whose end is knowable, even if the origins of our existence are not. Still, it is a hell of a ride !
0 Replies