Should i ask her out or is she being nice?

chai2

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 03:04 pm
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

When she invites three of her friends to tag along, she's ensuring dinner is not a date. After all, what guy seriously enjoys dinner with three women who are good friends, two of whom he doesn't know? That would be ******* awful.

It's not 3 girlfriends, it's the 3 of them, including a friend Julia that she was just having a conversation about the mexican place.

See? The message isn't even clear to you garg, you thought she meant a total of 5 of them going out to eat.

We can all have different perceptions of what someone means when they say something

If a guy said to me...

"How about dinner? Do you like Thai?"

I would immediately think he was talking about Right Now. As in, would you like to go to a Thai place right this moment, as in "are you hungry? if you are let's get Thai food"

If anyone said to me "How about dinner?" assuming it wasn't 8 o'clock in the morning, I would not think they meant next week.

If I was hungry, or, as they say "I could eat" I'd say, "yeah, but bleech, I don't like Thai food"

"Mexican?"
Again, if I was hungry, I'd say, "ok, let's go"

If I wasn't hungry, or wanted to eat right then, I wouldn't have said just that....

Him: How about dinner? Do you like Thai?

Me: I'm not hungry. I don't like Thai food anyway.

Then, he could explain himself that he meant would I like to go to dinner with him at some time.
Then I'd know he was asking me out.

this part....
"Hmm... there is that one Mexican place on Main Street, Julia and I were just talking about how we wanted to go there for lunch sometime, maybe the three of us can do that sometime next week?"

I never would have said all that anyway, since I was thinking he was asking me if I was hungry right then.

Both parties in the hypothetical exchange of soz's were just being too indirect for me.

What's wrong with saying “I’d like to take you out sometime”? The meaning is clear, and she wouldn’t have to make up some bullshit story about a friend Julia. Then, she wouldn’t have to actually go to a Mexican restaurant with him and Julia. She wouldn’t have to have some big conversation with Julia about how she’s just not into this guy who asked her out, and would Julia be there as her cover, and make Julia asks her about that new guy she’s dating and all that crap.

Just say it and get it out there. If you want to ask her out, ask her out. If I was the woman, and don’t want to go out with him, ask “you mean like a date?” and if he says yes, and you don’t want to, just tell him you don’t think that’s a good idea.

Sure, one might say you must have known what he meant, but better to get clarification than have it drag on into some uncomfortable situation where now you're sitting at the table wondering if you're going to have to blow him for these so-so chalupas.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 03:10 pm
All this reminds me of when my first real boy friend asked me out. We were walking from chemistry class to the university student union. I don't remember his words (something like "would you like to go to hear Coltrane at Royce Hall this Saturday?"), I quickly looked at him and my contact lens shifted to the corner of my left eye, causing me great pain and to have to claw it out....

So, James, go ahead and ask her...
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 04:10 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

. . .now you're sitting at the table wondering if you're going to have to blow him for these so-so chalupas.

Ok, but what if they were excellent chalupas?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 04:19 pm
I don't know from chalupas - never had or heard of them in mexico, so. california, or here in albuquerque - but they seem like a good idea - but messy.

http://blog.masslive.com/elpueblolatino/2008/06/Chalupas%20De%20Carne.jpg

http://offthebroiler.files.wordpress.com/2006/05/5dm-chalupas-1.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3173/3046090581_8e9468a8b3.jpg
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 04:20 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
you're sitting at the table wondering if you're going to have to blow him for these so-so chalupas.

Is that what a "date" means these days? (If so, I am feeling a little cheated.)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 04:28 pm
Gosh, you're all so complicated.
She gave him already her phone number and wants a daily hug after class,
what's there to debate: she's giving clear signals and YES ask her out!!
Don't fool around and don't be a wuss and fuss around - be confident
and assume she wants to be in your company, period!
0 Replies

james203

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 04:49 pm
I THANK ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSES ILL ASK HER OUT ON TUESDAY.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 04:54 pm
@james203,
Good..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 05:30 pm
@james203,
Good luck!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 05:35 pm
@james203,
Hooray.

Joe(have fun)Nation
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 06:02 pm
Do the coffee thing first. If that works out OK, move on to a "date.'

I am really surprised that she has not asked you out.

I thought all the young women today were more assertive. I guesss things don't change that much, after all. Still a lot on the men's shoulders (making the first move, etc.)

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 06:40 pm
@james203,
james203 wrote:

I THANK ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSES ILL ASK HER OUT ON TUESDAY.

Make sure you take her to a place that makes really good chalupas.
0 Replies

the hunter123123

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:53 pm
@james203,
Dude sounds like she really likes you. my vote is go for broke, cash in your chips, go for it man.
0 Replies