So I'm flying with my dog any thoughts

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 09:29 am
We are going on vacation next week - not only are we traveling with 2 children, but a dog. We decided to bring the pooch along figuring it would be less stressful than leaving for over a week.

Anyone traveled with a dog? He will be in the cabin with us so that is a bonus and the flight is direct. Any ideas to make it less stressful for the pup, us and our fellow passengers?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,440 • Replies: 16
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 09:38 am
@Linkat,
I don't really have any advice but I'm wondering is this will ever end up on the "harder than I thought" thread!

I think a mild sedative might be in order. Have you talked to your vet? Also, take it easy on the food and water before you fly as I'm sure you don't want to deal with poop/pee/vomit.
Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 09:41 am
@boomerang,
Yep I'm worried about that (poop and pee). When he gets nervous, he poops that could be a bit gross. Must be why the airlines require a waterproof bottom to the carrier.

I was warned against the sedative actually by the airlines as this could impact a dog's breathing.

We also plan to bring him to the park and let him run around before flying. Something like we used to do with the kids when they were toddlers.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 09:45 am
@Linkat,

some thoughts --
http://able2know.org/topic/141439-1
boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 09:48 am
@Linkat,
We had problems with sedatives and our ancient old cat once on a car trip that required us finding a 24 hour vet in a strange city so I understand why they give warnings.

Luckily the cat survived.

Letting him do some serious running around is certainly a good idea.
Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 09:57 am
@Region Philbis,
Yeah - we are sending him in cargo and it is domestic so fortunately we are not faced with most of the challenges mentioned in that thread.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 09:59 am
@boomerang,
I am guessing it will be like having a child. Get him good and tired - give him some entertainment - toys.

What about the air pressure on his ears. I am worried this could get him barking. He isn't a big barker - will if he sees a dog and some one comes to the door or if we get him all riled up. But besides that he is usually pretty quiet. Do you think a chew bone would help with the pressure?
dyslexia

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 10:07 am
@Linkat,
my Sally-dog would go bonkers if she could not visually contact meself or Lady Diane, otherwise she would probably just nap.
boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 10:12 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
Do you think a chew bone would help with the pressure?

I chew gum on planes to avoid that problem but I thought it was the swallowing more than the chewing that helped the pressure. Dogs ears are different I'm sure. I think I'd take a chew bone and some juicy little treats.
Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 10:37 am
@dyslexia,
Well he would be under the seat in front of us for take off and landing other than I plan to move him out from under the seat where he can get a better view of us.
Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 10:39 am
@boomerang,
I was hoping that the chewing would also encourage the swallowing. I used to give my children when they were toddlers (too young for gum) lollipops so they would swallow. But I don't think that would work for poochie.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 12:04 pm
@Linkat,
Are you sure you can move the dog's carrier out from under the seat after takeoff? My neighbor, who used to fly with her small dog, was required to leave his carrier under the seat throughout the flight. Perhaps the policy differs from airline to airline.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 03:57 pm
I'm confused, Link, you said you were sending him in cargo - which I don't think of as the same as in the cabin... my friend's doberman that barked for the entire flight was in the cargo section.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 04:33 pm
Put a worn t-shirt of yourself in the carrier with the dog, that's reassuring to
them that your close by. Other than that, just wear him out with lots of walks
beforehand, don't feed him or give him too much water. He'll be fine then.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 04:37 pm
@CalamityJane,
Good idea re the tee shirt..
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 12:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Nope - my first note there says in the cabin. The good news he was pretty good. On the way there, he did start whining and the loud type of whining. We were sitting over the wings and I think the noise scared him. Once he calmed down, he was fine.

On the way home he was fine - slept the whole way without a sound. We didn't take him out from under the seat as he seemed comfortable as he was.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 01:02 pm
@Linkat,
Great,Imgladitwentwell.

Oh,no,mykeyboardisfutzedagain...
0 Replies