Palin is not one of the little people

ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 10:13 pm
This is all very stupid, what are we all, four? like Feiffer's Munro?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 12:14 am

Recording your talking points is wise; trusting to memory is foolhardy.

When I was a trial attorney, preparing to argue in Court,
I usually made it a point to keep notes,
in outline form.

The alternative is that when u r half way home
u remember: O, DAMN! I shoud have said thus and so !

David
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 08:47 am
@DrewDad,
Salute!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 08:58 am
@firefly,
There are some posts that make me laugh at loud! When you wrote that she has never taken off the crown, I chuckled because it is so true! Great observation!

It concerns me that this woman should be upheld as some sort of role model. What I find interesting . . . BTW, today's sarah barely resembles the Miss Wasila model . . . is that while palin and Tina Fey do closely resemble each other, sarah entered beauty contests and Tina considered herself homely.

I have no idea whether palin is aware of the extent to which she is being used or even if she knows she is being used.

The women who identify with her are being used. They are quoted by the press which seeks to curry the favor of the Republican Party. They stand before reporters, perhaps in their clothes from Wal-Mart while sarah is dressed in clothes from Saks. They probably have fairly low paying jobs and many of them probably wish they didn't have to work or could only work part-time so that they could spend more time with their families while sarah leaves the governorship that she once wanted for a more glamorous and public job at Fox. They might want to be able to attend all of their kids school events while sarah was promoted as a hockey mom and later revealed to know very little about the sport.
Ragman

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 09:17 am
@plainoldme,
Because you were duped into believing that Palin matters politically. Time will show that she will have less staying power than an American Idol contestant. The same people who follow Palin, are stay-at-home-moms (my mom was one) who watch Oprah to gain their political understanding and, for the most part, don't show up at the voting booth. Palin's support could be a mile-wide, but it's an inch deep and shrinking.

What scares me far more than her non-political-impact is that McCain is still on the political scene.

Her day in the sun is done and she's lucky to have made her millions when she did. I sure hope she has invested her money well (e.g., not in the Stock Market).
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 10:58 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
I have no idea whether palin is aware of the extent to which she is being used or even if she knows she is being used.

I suspect that Palin and various operatives and factions in the Republican party are mutually using each other, and both sides know it. Her various Tweets and Facebook pronouncements are likely fed to her by specific Republican/Conservative strategists, who she may actually be paying for this service. But these comments, like the "death panel" remark, for instance, garner her a great deal of media attention, and, at the moment, her livelihood depends on keeping herself in the media spotlight. Palin is not coming up with any ideas all on her own--she never has.

The Republicans have no one else who grabs media attention and excites crowds quite the way Palin does. There is no doubt she presents problems for them--she is not a viable presidential candidate for 2012, and her Tea Party activism might help to inspire third party candidates in November of this year, which could help to defeat Republicans. But the other possibilities the Republicans could shove into the spotlight are either unknown to the general public, or just plain unexciting. So, it's to their advantage to let Sarah present their basic talking points because the media will cover her. Her constant jabs at Obama are good for all the Republican candidates. And, she helps to keep the right wing conservative base interested and connected to the Republican party. She's also a good fund raiser. She really doesn't present policy initiatives, or any platform of her own, that's way over her head, so she's not personally competing with any potential Republican candidates for 2012--she is not acting like a candidate. Her main function, for the Republicans, is to keep segments of the Republican party energized, and to draw crowds and media attention when she speaks. And her personal needs, to stay in the spotlight and make as much money as possible, are satisfied by this mutually exploitive relationship.

So, I think it's a win-win situation for Sarah and the Republicans (and the Tea Partiers) to use each other, as long as she does not become a liability for the Republicans or the TP. Some of her recent remarks and Facebook postings did use violent language and imagery directed toward Democrats, which she later tried to deny and rationalize. But that sort of thing, causes the Republicans to back off and try to distance themselves from her. Should Levi Johnston begin shooting his mouth off again about Palin, and just cause too much family dirty laundry to be aired in public, the Republican establishment will back off from her. There is a lot of buzz about how Sarah Pac misuses funds, and if an ethical/financial scandal erupts about that, she will become damaged goods for the Republicans. Her penchant for lying will also come back to haunt her if she ever makes moves toward a candidacy for high office.

But, at the moment, Sarah is a boon for the Republicans--even poor John McCain had to use her to draw a crowd for his re-election campaign. They, and the Tea Party, need her because they have no other "star". And the woman is unique. She's exceptionally attractive, she's lively and spunky and quirky--she's basically an entertainer and a political celebrity, and she does those jobs well for the party, and for her bank account.

I don't think the "Wal-mart women" you refer to, plainoldme, who follow and cheer her are being used or duped, and I wouldn't denigrate those women. They identify with her "plain talking", because she uses words they can understand. They identify with her knocking "elitists" because her simplistic thinking contains no difficult to understand concepts or complex ideas--they can follow what she's saying when they listen to her. They can imagine sitting down at a kitchen table and having a cup of coffee with her. They see her as a mom, because she parades her children around and unabashedly uses them when necessary--forget that this woman has not been around to care for those children a lot of the time, and neither has her husband. But these women don't care because Sarah tells them she understands the problems of moms, and they believe her. Sarah is anti-abortion and that's enough for them. Sarah is upbeat about America, and that makes them feel good--forget that she rips the current administration, the ones who are actually running the country, to shreds--she reminds them of Reagan. She waves the flag and always wears her flag pin. She talks about God and faith and they like that too--forget about separation of church and state. Sarah Palin simply makes these women feel good. She does not threaten them in any way, she's comfy and familiar. These same women would probably not admire or like Hillary Clinton--she's not their type.

Of course Sarah looks different than she did in her Miss Wasilla days. Twenty-seven years takes a toll on anyone--and Sarah still does look pretty good. She really is more attractive than Tina Fey, and probably was when they were both 18. I doubt that Tina was ever homely. Sarah probably paid more attention to hair and makeup than Tina did when both were younger. People who enter beauty contests also have to work at looking good and enhancing their natural attractiveness. Sarah's physical gifts have always been a big part of her success--Tina Fey also has considerable talent beyond just looking good and having a lively personality.

So, plainoldme, I think your basic premise that these women are being duped by Sarah is incorrect. They are not being duped. They relate to what they like about her and just ignore the rest. People did that with Bill Clinton too, they liked many things about him and ignored his philandering, which was widely known before Monica ever entered the Oval Office. These women have access to the same info you do about Palin and it just may not matter to them. So, you shouldn't worry about trying to save their souls.

plainoldme

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 02:44 pm
@firefly,
First, I have to tell you that I was not denigrating women dressed in WalMart clothes: I was setting up a likely opposite for Saks, where some of her campaign wardrobe came from.

As for sarah as Miss Wasila and sarah today, while she was plumper then, the shape of her nose is completely different. In fact, it was much smaller.

I came from a blue collar family and I have to say, had I remained a blue collar woman, I doubt that I would have been taken in. But, use does extend to the women who are her fans.

But, yes, it is obvious that both the former governor and the Republican party are using each other. Certainly, without the help of the party, she would not have gone beyond the governorship. Even Fox would not have been interested in her.

It is doubtful that Levi Johnson will be heard of again, either as a model or actor or hockey player.
firefly

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 02:52 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
It is doubtful that Levi Johnson will be heard of again, either as a model or actor or hockey player.

Don't count on that. Bristol Palin just won a child support judgment against him. He has to do something to earn money. Writing a tell-all book about the Palins might be it. He's threatened to do that in the past. And a lot of people would be interested in it--celebrity and political gossip is big business.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 03:12 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
And a lot of people would be interested in it--celebrity and political gossip is big business.
I am beginning to doubt Palin's staying power....he best get to it quickly.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 03:50 pm
@plainoldme,
Palin's approval rating among women in general is low. The latest poll shows her approval rating among women is only 21%. And, out of the group that approve of her, a still smaller percentage would be rabid fans. The fact is, most women don't like her, and most people see her as unqualified to be president.

In this interview with Bill O'Reilly, Cathy Areu seems to agree with what you have been saying about Palin, plainoldme.

http://www.newshounds.us/2010/04/19/oreilly_ignores_facts_to_defend_palin_against_larry_the_cable_guy_slam.php

But mainly, Areu is saying that Palin is a phony, or that money has changed her. She's not overly concerned with the people Palin might be duping.

If people don't want to be duped, they won't swallow Palin's "act" hook, line, and sinker. If they are willing to be duped, well, there's a sucker born every minute.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 08:05 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p248/FairandBalanced/Republican-DemocratWomen.jpg

Quote:
Yes, I "a'll" are not embarrassed. I feel fine; thanx for your concern.

I didn't really expect more than three or four of the locals to get this one easily or quickly. The point is that there are gradations of ugly and some of the super grades like you see on the right side of that picture only come from decades worth of corrupt practices, evil thoughts, and evil deeds.

One case (Reno) might be a bit easier to grasp than some although Hillary KKKlintler isn't really any better; check this out:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2496461/posts

Quote:
During a discussion on O'Reilly about Bill Clinton's recent attempts to compare the Tea Party movement to the impact of conservative talk radio like Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, etc. as having caused Timothy McVeigh to bomb the Oklahoma Federal building, Dick Morris suggested that Bill should zipper it because Clinton had indicated that this is the first time that he has divulged a comment by Bill that he had to renominate Janet Reno for another term as Attorney General or she would go public about Waco.

For starters; read some of the commentary...
DrewDad

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 08:35 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
The point is that there are gradations of ugly and some of the super grades like you see on the right side of that picture only come from decades worth of corrupt practices, evil thoughts, and evil deeds.

That is magical thinking, which is associated with psychosis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_thinking

This would explain quite a bit about you, IMO.
gungasnake

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 08:55 pm
@DrewDad,
You've got a better theory as to what makes people look like that??
DrewDad

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 06:59 am
@gungasnake,
It's called "life". It happens that some people are just more attractive than other people.
maporsche

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:11 am
@DrewDad,
And when you take the worst possible pictures you can find of the Democrats and compare them to the best possible pictures you can find of the Republicans. It's just dishonest; not to mention unworthy of the digital space it takes up.
gungasnake

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 04:54 pm
@maporsche,
There AREN'T ANY good pictures of Hillary KKKlintler, Reno, or Albright. Just like there aren't any good pictures of Attila the Hun or Satan...
DrewDad

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 04:58 pm
@gungasnake,
And Pope John Paul II was the epitome of physical beauty, right?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 05:38 pm
@maporsche,
Oh man, lighten up!

It's intended to be humorous and anyone who is suggesting it actually means something is pulling your chain.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 06:49 pm
@gungasnake,
SO, publish your picture.
panzade

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 09:54 pm
@plainoldme,
chortle
0 Replies