P90X - You Game? Check In Here

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 08:20 am
I started P90X a while back but had to stop after three weeks due to life. I haven't started back up again but really really want to. It's a matter of willpower and motivation.

If you don't know what P90X is, or you've only seen the infomercial, let me elaborate.

P90X isn't a fad. It's not a miracle exercise program. It doesn't require you to buy special food or pay for a membership. It's a simple, effective workout and nutrition plan. It's a commitment of 90 days to a healthier life style. The program is not a weight loss program but I'll tell you that you lose fat. You gain muscle. Check out the website for more info.

99.9% of the time, informercials are a bunch of crap to lure people in a take their money. P90X has a somewhat expensive start-up (at $130 for the set of dvds) but it isn't a scam. It works because the basic principle is working your body to its max. Not quitting because the last rep is too hard. The beauty of it is that you are at home, in your living room with no one but yourself to compare your progress to. There isn't a skinny bitch next to you who can do 15 more oblique v-ups and make you feel like you aren't progressing. The theory is to do YOUR best and build off of that. You can pause it if you need to (they encourage it if you need it). You can do 5 of the 15 reps if that's all you can do and no one looks at you or says anything to you. And you can feel good about yourself when you get to 6 the next time you try.

It's brutal. It's tough. It's exhausting. But I can tell you that I have never felt better in my life than I did those three weeks I was doing P90X. I was tired, sore and hungry (you burn a LOT of calories) but instead f being tired because I was sluggish or sore because it is hard for me to walk up stairs or hungry for junk food....I was tired from working my body right, sore because my body was responding and hungry for real food that made all this possible.

Those of you who know me, know I don't lie. So you have to believe what I am going to tell you, even though it sounds crazy. I thought it was at first to think that I'd see any results in the first 30 days. But I lost 3 inches off my waist in three weeks using this program. And I didn't diet. All I did was stop eating fast food and cooked meals at home. I cut out pop except for occasionally. I didn't lose any weight but three inches of body is A LOT of fat IMO.

I want to get back on the horse but need some motivation. The P90X support group is filled with people who are WAY too motivated; they are able to exercise 2-3 hours a day, eat a clean diet 24/7 and look fantastic. That is not me. LOL I need the support of someone like me. Someone who struggles to get an hour of exercise in a day. Who has to cook for a picky husband and two year old.

I need accountability and also someone to share my success with. I want to start a thread for P90Xers.

I'm going to start on Monday April 19th. Why Monday? Because the program consists of a six day workout schedule. And Sunday is the best day of rest for me. Also, I need the weekend to get my refrigerator and pantry back in order so that I can cook. You can start any time you want. If you order the Dvds today, you can have them by Monday. If you want to wait a week, wait a week. If you think I'm nuts, get out of my thread. Wink

I'll be the moderator and we can all check in here daily, weekly and monthly. Why all three? Daily for food support. Weekly for accomplishments and advancements. Monthly for measurements. Yes, you have to give your measurements. Don't be shy. No one here will care. We are all here for a reason, and that's because we all want to get more fit. You can post pictures if you want, although I am not going to because I don't feel comfortable doing so. But if that's a motivator for you, go ahead. We'd love to see your beginning, 30, 60 and 90 day results.

So, who's with me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,894 • Replies: 23
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 08:41 am
@Bella Dea,
What about those of us with back etc. injuries? Can you still do such a program?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 09:00 am
Yes and no. If you have serious back problems, I'd say there is a better program out there for you. Also, this isn't a program for people who live a sedentary lifestyle. I don't think you'd be able to keep up with it if this is a first run at exercise.

That being said, there are modifications for everything. For example, you need weights to do the strength training, but if weights are too much, they suggest bands or no weights at all. And for the higher impact cardio, they show you alternative lower impact moves.

It is a pretty intense program, so I'd check with your doctor prior to starting. And check this out. It is a list of all the exercises you do. http://www.extremebodyworkout.com/blog/2008/07/01/the-p90x-exercises-routines/

Like I said, this isn't for someone who's been on the couch for the past 10 years but if you lead any type of active lifestyle, you can start P90X, IMO. You just need to start small and modify.

The whole program is not about being one thing at the end. Its about making yourself a little healthier than you were the day before. Most people do two or even three rounds of it to achieve the end result they want. I don't necessarily want to be "ripped' But I do want to lose weight, and the best way to do that is to gain muscle.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 09:11 am
Note that the pull ups can be modified to using bands. You don't have to be able to do a pull up - yet. You probably will be able to do one at the end!

The program is six days a week, 1-1/2 hours a day. You don't work muscle groups two days in a row. You will need resistance bands or hand weights. Pull up bar optional if you can't do a pull up yet (but want to have the bar for when you can), and necessary if you are already strong enough to do a pull up. Yoga mat and block if you like. And plenty of space. That's all you need. A heart rate monitor is optional but a good add on IMO.

Here are the exercise routines. Of course there are more exercises in each group than listed but you get the general idea.

P90X Exercise #1 “Chest & Back”
Push ups and pull ups, that's the name of this game. Military push ups, reverse pull ups, decline pushups, “dive bombers” and diamond push ups...you do 'em for one solid hour.

P90X Exercise #2 “Plyometrics”
Plyometrics is basically a combination of cardio and multidirectional jumping techniques designed to improve strength and stamina. It improves your ability to run faster, jump higher, and maneuver quickly in sports like, tennis, basketball, track and field, swimming, etc.

P90X Exercise #3 “Shoulders & Arms”
This is for toning and building the arms; the biceps, triceps, forearms, and of course the shoulders! Example exercises are “In & Out Bicep Curls”, Two-Arm Tricep Kickbacks”, Seated Two-Angle Shoulder Flys” and lots more.

P90X Exercise #4 “Yoga X”
This is a controlled body sculpting exercise that not only promotes good balance and form but also improves flexibility and coordination. Based on hatha yoga, this is an hour and 15 minutes of tough, tough yoga.

P90X Exercise #5 “Legs & Back”
The main focus of this exercise is on the quads, glutes, hamstrings, and calves. For back, pull ups.

P90X Exercise #6 “Kempo X”
Kenpo X is a cardiovascular self-defense workout. It's a high-intensity P90X exercise to improve balance, flexibility, coordination, and stamina.

P90X Exercise #7 “X Stretch”
Flexibility training.

P90X Exercise #8 “Core Synergistics”
This exercise works multiple muscle groups to build and support the core muscles, while at the same time conditioning your body from head to toe.

P90X Exercise #9 “Chest Shoulders & Triceps”
Gotta love doing “Chair Dips”, “Side-To-Side Push-Ups”, “Floor Flys” and a bunch more.

P90X Exercise #10 “Back & Biceps”
Lots of pull up and curls.

P90X Exercise #11 “Cardio X”
Cardio. Need I say more?

P90X Exercise #12 “Ab Ripper X”
340 ab/core moves in 15 minutes. Yes, you want to puke.

0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 10:13 am
So I have NO takers?

No one wants to kick some ass?

Fine.

I started yesterday and my chest is sore. Yesterday was Chest and Back. Today, I was up doing Plyometrics at 5:15am. I don't get up that early normally but it's the only time I can fit an hour of exercise in and now my work hours have changed so I need to be up earlier anyway.

I can't wait to take my 30 day measurements and photos. The last time around, I was astounded at the results so I am hoping for another fantastic turn out. Smile
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 10:17 am
@Bella Dea,
It's very similar to my rock-climbing workouts. The goal is to push yourself to your absolute limits. You lose weight and gain muscle incredibly quickly when you're in that 90-95% range.

It's basically what the guys on Biggest Loser do, for weeks, to lose all that weight - work out hard enough to enter the top zone and then work out some MORE.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 10:20 am
Yup, you got that right.

It's hard but man is it worth it!

And maintaining is always easier than losing so I'll be excited when I can drop down to 3-4 days working out rather than 6.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 10:24 am
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:

Yup, you got that right.

It's hard but man is it worth it!

And maintaining is always easier than losing so I'll be excited when I can drop down to 3-4 days working out rather than 6.

Wow that's a lot of working out!

I do aerobic walking and try and eat really healthy on my non-workout days, less aerobics and more fats and carbs on my workout days. The balance helps keep me in line with the weight I want to be. Never thought I'd give a **** about my weight until I started dragging it up a rock.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 11:35 am
6 days a week.

3 of it strength training and ab/core.
2 of cardio
1 of yoga
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 08:18 am
Day three is in the books.

I am sore. But in a good, "I've done something" way.

Smile

mismi

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 08:53 am
@Bella Dea,
I didn't see this until just now. My husband and I do P90X - Spring Break stopped us and baseball is wreaking havoc with our efforts. I agree with your statements...it is a kick ass program and not meant for people who don't mean business when it comes to getting fit. There are much more warm fuzzy vids out there if all you want is a little exercise.

The basis is muscle confusion and keeping your body in a state of change...this burns calories at a higher rate - like you said - because of the muscles you are building.

But I laugh a lot when I am doing it with my husband - of course there are nights I have been on the verge of tears as well...

Wouldn't mind being ripped - but that's not my end goal. Just to be able to keep up with my three boys and stay healthy is the plan. And hubby wanted me to go through it with him...so - I did or rather - am.
Bella Dea

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 12:49 pm
@mismi,
I hate exercise but this gives you a sense of accomplishment. And that feels good. Where are you in the program?
mismi

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 12:56 pm
@Bella Dea,
Week 5 Day 1 (should be on day 3 - but that's just the way it is) - I have to say after doing an hour of that stuff it always ticks me off that there is still the ab ripper left to do. I do that gritting my teeth.

I will say when I am done my feeling always is - at least I got that done today.

I have missed a couple of days - caught the stomach flu from the kids at school...lost 6lbs. Weak as a kitten right now...tonight should be lots of fun.
mismi

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 06:41 am
@mismi,
I didn't do it last night either....bound and determined to get it done tonight. Smile
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 06:53 am
Do you need some motivation? A verbal, cyber kick in the butt?
Wink
mismi

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 07:07 am
@Bella Dea,
HA - that might help...don't think I was quite over the stomach bug.

Tonight though. I mean it. Razz
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 08:40 am
It was Yoga day. I hate Yoga X. It's an hour and a half too long and it hurts my feet. So I did the first 10 minutes or so and then several of the stretching poses so that I filled up a half hour of yoga.

Tomorrow is back and legs. Saturday is Kenpo! I love kenpo!
mismi

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 08:44 am
@Bella Dea,
kenpo is fun...I actually liked the plyometrics better than yoga...that repetitive up and down dog drives me insane...and it hurts too - and you are right WAY too long.
Bella Dea

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 06:22 am
@mismi,
Sooo, how did it go last night?

Back and legs in the books! I love working out in the morning! (god I never thought I'd say that!)
mismi

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 07:50 am
@Bella Dea,
We got it done...I will say it was not my best showing.

I would much rather work out in the morning...but if I am to work out with my husband it must be at night...

I did get up and elipse for about 45 min this morning...so nice.