Would you let your neighbor paint a "shared" wall?

patiodog

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 06:11 pm
Garage needs a gutter.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 06:16 pm
I would have a problem with a neighbor wanting to paint one side of my garage. I see that it is a tricky situation, given how the garage sits with one side exposed to your view and being a boundary line to your own property, but for resale value, I think I'd have to object. I think if my neighbor proposed such a thing I'd offer to split the cost of extending the fence so that the fence becomes the property line.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 06:17 pm
You could paint a mural on the wall - flowers, or some other scenery
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7101/garh.jpg

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 06:23 pm
@patiodog,
In an area near where boom lives, I planted a somewhat lacey hedge of Pittosporum tenuifolium in front of the whole side of my neighbor's house with no fence to my side yard. I planted fairly away, in case anyone ever would want to put in a fence - centering the 1 gallon cans four feet from my property line. Mine never got above six feet, or slightly plus, no matter what the data says, over several years.

I did leave the whole area in "front " of her back patio open, except for my great japanese maple, that we both loved.. so we could visit and she could give me jam or ask me in for a wee one, while I complained about weeds.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 06:26 pm
@boomerang,
Of course I would say yes if a neighbor asked permission to paint a fence. Your side of the fence is what you see and they don't. Now, if you are going to paint your side of their garage, asking is a must. In which case, they might ask you to paint the whole thing so it will match.

I think their mossy roof needs attention, by the way.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 06:34 pm
http://www.aphotoflora.com/DevonandCornwall/Pittosporum%20tenuifolium14-08-05.jpg

I think of Pit ten as easily controllible - it was the least of my problems and very pretty, with hydrangeas and irises in front.. You could check with your best nursery re how it does in your area. Close to no maintenance for me, but maybe they go rampant in a way I don't know .
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 06:43 pm
Consider three upright tellis forms.

I really doubt if they will allow you to paint just one side of their garage.

Porcelain vine is fast growing; no flower though.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 06:46 pm
@squinney,
I don't think these situations will happen so much from now on. Setbacks get more setback, or else are duplexed, etc.

The edge can be taken care of by a piece of good wood, even if positioned away from the garage. Why should anyone have to stare at a godforsaken abysmal garage wall? (I admit I don't know the current law).
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 07:00 pm
@sullyfish6,
Porcelain vine - bad plant, bad. Very invasive.

Whenever you grow anything on anything you draw attention to it. Remember that when trying to hide something. Either plant densely in layers well in front of it or do something off to the side to draw the eye away from what you don't want people to see.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 07:03 pm
@Green Witch,
So, what is porcelain vine?

oh, it's an amelopsis. Off to read more.

**&%$**@ - I have no patience with common names. I understand this is not a popular view.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 07:10 pm
Ampelopsis.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 07:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Most people glaze over if I spew latin.

Hey Boomer, is it sunny enough for food?:

http://gardenerchat.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/raisedbed.jpg
JPB

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 07:23 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Between the end of the foundation and the start of the fence there is a series of pipes that nobody knows about either.

It's a mess!

An old septic field perhaps?

http://www.inspectapedia.com/septic/FieldSizes.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 07:25 pm
@Green Witch,
So it goes. I figure they are all avoiding Pinus...

kidding.

But, latin names matter for me in serious looking up of varieties and species.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 07:26 pm
@JPB,
hmmm.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 07:32 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, it's the only way to really know which plant is which. I cringe when people ask me for things like coneflower or daisy. The worst are regional plant names like Hens & Chicks (northeast), Cats & Kittens (below the Mason Dixon Line) or Roof Leeks (across the pond).
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 07:54 pm
@Green Witch,
To explain right away, my screen of names is diminishing as I am not in practice, so I have to me amazing dumb spots. I'm having one now, but I'll continue on the subject, which with luck I'll come back to if I remember the names.

Our friend Harvey had a hedge which he called "mock orange", a name I had for another plant. We were both probably right, it was called this something in the eastern US that didn't grow there in california. His was philadelphus..

I look it up now, and I don't see my plant name for mock orange. (what?)

Maybe I just lived for a moment in time. True, but I'd like to get the latin right.

Anyway, Pitt tenuifolium is a plant of interest.
margo

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 09:36 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

and I don't see my plant name for mock orange. (what?)

In Oz, (or in Sydney, anyway) Murraya.....
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 09:55 pm
@margo,
That's it, Murraya paniculata...

smiles.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 10:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Oy. I used Murraya back in LA . I had a lot to learn when I moved to near the Oregon border. And much more to learn when I moved to New Mexico. That is re plants, but also re culture. Big diff on culture here.
0 Replies