ADOPTED RUSSIAN BOY REJECTED, IN SELF DEFENSE

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 01:42 pm
@firefly,
I'm not saying that the child actually had no problems in the orphanage, but that when Torry Hansen went to see him, he may have presented as a perfectly friendly, normal child, without any particular issues. That's consistent with RAD as I understand it, the disinhibition with strangers ("parent shopping") that boomer referred to.

Again -- this is all to say that something like this is possible, not that it definitely happened. We don't know.
firefly

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:14 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:

Driver says Russian boy looked normal
By NATALIYA VASILYEVA (AP) " 4 hours ago

MOSCOW " The driver hired to pick up a Russian boy whose adoptive American mother caused an international outcry by sending him back to Moscow says the boy looked cheerful, played with a Spider-man toy, and did not seem to show any of the mental problems the woman claims he has.

Artur Lukyanov told The Associated Press that on the way into town 7-year-old Artyom Savelyev looked like he was on a sightseeing tour, pointing at cars and boasting in English about how big the trucks were in America, opening his arms wide to show how big they were.

"The boy was in a good mood," he said. "He did not seem frightened."

Artyom flew unaccompanied to Moscow last week with a note from his adoptive mother, a nurse from Tennessee, saying she no longer wanted to keep him because he was violent and had severe "psychopathic" problems.

"I was lied to and misled by the Russian Orphanage workers and director regarding his mental stability and other issues," Torry Hansen said in her note addressed to Russian authorities.

As a result of the case, Russia's foreign minister and its children's rights ombudsman have suggested that Russia suspend all U.S. adoptions until Moscow and Washington sign a bilateral adoption agreement.

Lukyanov, who speaks good English, said he had no idea the boy was Russian until his identity was confirmed by authorities. During the 90-minute ride into central Moscow, he even tried to teach the boy Russian words and sang an English alphabet song with him.

"He looked as if he was here on a sightseeing tour," said Lukyanov. "He would occasionally get something from his backpack, like a Spider-man toy, and say: 'It's from America. Do you have anything like this in Russia?'"

Lukyanov recalled that at the airport he thought it was strange that the boy had no luggage with him except for a small colorful backpack. But aside from being a bit thin and shy, the fair-haired Artyom seemed like an ordinary kid, the driver said.

"During the time that I spent with him I didn't notice any mental deviation," said the 38-year-old Lukyanov, who spent more than six hours with the boy last Thursday. "But perhaps he behaves differently with strangers " I don't want to pass judgments."

Russian Health Ministry officials said that tests showed the boy has no mental issues.

Nancy Hansen, whose daughter adopted Artyom from Russia's Far Eastern town of Partizansk last September, hired Lukyanov through his Web site and paid him $200 to pick the boy up from the airport, but kept him in the dark about his real mission.

Lukyanov's English-language Web site advertises services as a personal driver and tour guide who can provide visitors help with Moscow's "confusing roads."

"When I got the first e-mail I had no doubt that she was flying herself," Lukyanov said. "I feel deceived. Nancy's actions were inhuman, and she treated me inhumanely, too."

It was only in the last e-mail " the night before Artyom's arrival " that Hansen said that Lukyanov was to pick up a 7-year-old boy called "Artem Justin Hansen" and drop him off at the Education Ministry in central Moscow.

Lukyanov spent the whole day with Artyom at the ministry and then at a police station before leaving in the late afternoon, when the Russian children's rights commissioner arrived to take the boy to a hospital.

According to the driver, Artyom told authorities he did not go to school in the United States and that he cannot write. The boy replied in English to questions in Russian.

Abandoned by his alcoholic mother, Artyom was raised in an orphanage in Partizansk, some 100 kilometers (about 60 miles) away from Vladivostok. Once a rich mining town, Partizansk is now home to a dozen closed coal mines and factories.

Artyom spent the past six months in Shelbyville, Tennessee, a small town about 80 kilometers (50 miles) south of Nashville, set amid rolling farmland in one of the state's top agricultural counties.

A U.S. delegation is heading to Russia next week to discuss a possible adoption treaty. Any adoption freeze could affect hundreds of American families. More than 1,800 Russian children were adopted in the United States last year, according to the Russian Health and Education Ministry.

At the police station, Lukyanov and social workers opened Artyom's backpack to see it was filled with toys, crayons, paper " and one pair of underpants that everyone thought was too big for the boy. "He looked pretty skinny," Lukyanov said.

Artyom was unwilling speak about his U.S. home or family, Lukyanov said, only saying that he lives with his mother and grandparents.

At the police station, social workers opened two big envelopes Artyom was carrying. The boy's passport and other identifying documents were in one of them.

The other contained two smaller sealed envelopes " one with Lukyanov's fee and the other with a note signed by Torry Hansen saying that Artyom is "mentally unstable" and "violent," and that she "no longer wishes to parent this child."

Artyom appeared glad to see so many people around at the station.

"He had lots of toys in his backpack, cars, crayons and paper " and he was giving them away to people around him," Lukyanov said.

"He would pull out stuff from his bag like a magician, very pleased about it. He had two badges from United Airlines and he gave one of them to me."

After a few hours at a police station, Artyom started to doze off on the shoulder of one of the social workers, Lukyanov said.

Meanwhile, Artyom's future remains uncertain.

Officials are looking for new orphanages or foster families for him. A Russian Health and Education Ministry official earlier said Artyom, who turns 8 on Friday, said he would like to go back to the United States.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hdX2aH94-cG6tnHX748IeHKU9oAwD9F2U3OG1

Anything is possible, sozobe.

But Lukyanov does not describe the child as showing "disinhibition with strangers", which would be inappriopriately overly friendly behavior to strangers--in fact, he says the child was shy. The description sounds like a normally friendly 7 year old who may have been relieved to find kindly strangers waiting for him when he got off the plane. After all, he didn't know what would happen when he arrived in Moscow. And he found friendly people who were paying a lot of attention to him. The child responded by being appropriately sociable in return.

I do wonder why the child was unwilling to speak about his American home or family. Did the Hansens tell him not to talk about them? Did something bad occur he doesn't want to talk about?

But unless this child starts displaying severe violent behavior, of the type Hansen reported, that someone beside her and her mother can actually observe, I think I have to continue to question the adoptive mother's version of events.
I can believe that the child might have begun displaying some problems in the adoptive home, possibly in response to how he was treated there, or the difficulties of re-adjustment, but that doesn't mean he had any serious problem, like RAD, when he left Russia to go home with Hansen. It doesn't mean that Hansen was deceived by the Russians. Whatever behavioral problems materialized in the adoptive home, if any did materialize, might have been due to the factors and conditions in that home, and not to any pre-existing serious pathology within the child. We just don't know yet.
aidan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:26 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
I think it is very significant that the child was not enrolled in school. School provides structure and routine and group interactions, all of which would be helpful to a child who has just come from an orphanage, which is a group living situation with structure and routine. Home schooling, if that was even done, might actually be very stressful for this type of child, and it would not provide the same sort of structure or opportunity for socialization which would be found in school. Not enrolling him in school, might reveal an insensitivity to certain needs this particular child might have.

I think this is a very important point.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:35 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:
Quick legal question, David: if one of the parties to an agreement (viewing adoption as a contract) can be shown to have grossly misrepresented relevant facts, or at the very least lied by omission, isn't the contract in question ipso facto rendered null and void?

It's certainly hard to believe that all the several witnesses to that boy's behavior are suddenly in cahoots to lie about iy. I read a statement by the US ambassador to Moscow, btw, which mentions his embassy is indirectly involved as legal adoption in the US automatically grants US citizenship to the adoptee - would that be reversible as well if outright fraud on the Russian part can be proven? Thanks.
First let me say that I 've never been involved in any adoption nor in any
immigration litigation and therefore, I 've had no occasion to research this,
but as to both questions, as a general rule, if the court found facts
revealing such a fraud as to shock the conscience, the court might
not recognize the validity of the resulting product of that fraud.

As u think about it:
if the court failed to void the result of that fraud,
then de facto that court is perpetuating that fraud
and is de facto an accessory after the fact.
Most judges woud wish to avoid that.

If a court found that a contract resulted from fraud,
it is not likely that such a contract woud be judicially enforced,
in my opinion, but let us remember that we remain ignorant
of the facts of this case, except insofar as some of them have trickled into the press.

Sometimes, one single fact, by itself,
can turn the result of a litigated case all the way around.

David
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:35 pm
@OmSigDAVID,

David said:
Quote:
Torrey probably woudn 't either,
but Art is likely smarter and more articulate than your dog.

The point I was making David, was not that I didn't think my dog or Art would be capable of making the trip - I find it impossible to imagine someone willing to entrust a child to a total stranger they found via the internet. I care about my dog's safety too much to do that - apparently this Torry Hansen gave less consideration to Art's safety than I'd give to my dog's.
I find that telling of her state of mind and lack of care for the boy - who - no matter what he said or did - is a little boy - maybe troubled yes - but certainly deserving of more care than to be entrusted to strange men found via the internet.

Quote:
No, it was for Torrey 's sake (and her unburned family).

and/or her house- she said this boy was her family at one point - didn't she?

If it wasn't so sad - oh never mind...

I'm glad nobody got killed - but I don't feel sorry for this mom - and I don't think she should have or adopt children. You have to give them more of a chance and more help and more care than she gave this boy.
aidan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:37 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Permit me to suggest:
for those of u who have shown the greatest degree
of interest in his well being, Y not find out his address
and send him some presents in Russia, for his happiness ?

Sounds like he may get a family who will stand by him through thick and thin - that'd be the best birthday present.

But that's a good suggestion - if any little boy would appreciate a birthday card right now- it'd probably be this one.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:50 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Quote:
Permit me to suggest:
for those of u who have shown the greatest degree
of interest in his well being, Y not find out his address
and send him some presents in Russia, for his happiness ?

Sounds like he may get a family who will stand by him through thick and thin - that'd be the best birthday present.

But that's a good suggestion - if any little boy would appreciate a birthday card right now- it'd probably be this one.
Well, with all respect,
IF u r going to take the trouble to do anything at all,
don t cheap out on him: give him some cash or toys
or a gift card to a bakery or something for his hedonic support.

David
aidan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Where do you think I could find his address?
Seriously - I LOVE buying little kid presents- my kids are big and I never get to do it anymore.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 03:03 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Seriously - I LOVE buying little kid presents- my kids are big and I never get to do it anymore.
I coud not begin to guess.
I know absolutely nothing of any value about Russia
(except that it is no longer communist).

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 03:03 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Maybe call the Russian Embassy ?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 03:06 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
What makes me wonder - and this is really a serious question - is why those Russian adoption seem to make such difficulties in the USA.

I can only tell you what I've observed. I had friends who adopted two children from Russia - a boy and a girl - who were not biological siblings, but were social siblings - raised in the same orphanage from birth and the same age.

Alex was placed in the orphanage because he was born without a left hand. I don't know why Tanya was. I knew their adoptive mother. She and her husband adopted them when they were both five. My friend adopted because she and her husband were unable to conceive- but as often happens - after they adopted, she did conceive a child and they had a biological son. It was then that all the problem started - although the timing also coincided with Tanya's and Alex's adolesence.

Alex was amazing. He played the trumpet (even though he only had one hand) played baseball (with one hand) was smart and successful in school, etc., etc. Tanya was much more average. Scottie (the younger biological child) was SO BEAUTIFUL....I mean just a beautiful child. So here was Tanya stuck in between these two outstanding brothers and she wasn't very bright or special...

My friend was a wonderful person. Her husband was a nutcase. Once I ate dinner over there and he made Tanya stand and read aloud from some book while we all ate. She rebelled - who wouldn't?! Well that was the end of that. The adoption was disrupted and Tanya was banished from the home.

I'll always remember her asking me not to tell her father that we'd listened to Sheryl Crow and the Dixie Chicks on the way to and from school (I gave them rides every day) because her father wouldn't like it.
Jan would tell me that her kids could come to my house but only if I promised not to turn on the tv while they were there - their father wouldn't like it.

Sometimes it's the adults who are crazy and not the kids.
This is what I've learned anectdotally.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 03:07 pm
@aidan,
Toys are probably safer gifts than cash.
I 've given cash to children in the past
only to have them subsequently complain to me that their parents robbed them.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 03:12 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Why am I willing to believe her?

Because two doors down from me is a 6 year old girl, adopted from Russia, who is on anti-psychotic medication.
This child's mother is a good friend of mine. I know what happened to that family. I know that people on the outside would have never guessed. I know that at one point they felt that the adoption was going to fail.

boomer, do u think there 's any chance
that your friend woud be interested in posting to this thread ?

David
aidan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 03:15 pm
@OmSigDAVID,

Quote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing
You crack me up- although I wouldn't doubt it...parents these days - what're ya gonna do?
firefly

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 03:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Russian Adoption: What Happens When a Parent Gives Up?
By Kate Pickert

It's hard for people to comprehend Torry Hansen's desperate act. It was troubling enough to hear that she'd sent her adopted son back to his native Russia, arranging for 7-year-old Artyom Savelyev to fly to Moscow by himself, arriving on April 8 with a note from Hansen saying, "I no longer wish to parent this child." She was giving him up, the note explained, because he was "mentally unstable." But she wasn't giving up on her desire to be a mother. According to ABC News, Hansen, a registered nurse in Shelbyville, Tenn., was trying to adopt a child from another country at the same time she was hiring a driver over the Internet to shuttle Artyom from the Moscow airport to Ministry of Education authorities in Russia.

But exactly what made Hansen snap " and why she didn't seek help or pursue other avenues, like putting the boy up for adoption in the U.S. " is still a mystery. Hansen reportedly consulted a psychologist but never took her son in for a session. There's no evidence she sought help from her adoption agency, child-welfare authorities in Tennessee or even the well-regarded International Adoption Clinic at Vanderbilt University in nearby Nashville. The media that have descended on Hansen's home have not gleaned much insight. The boy, whom Hansen renamed Justin, did not attend school in the six months he spent in Tennessee, and some neighbors said they barely knew the family.

"All of that shows you a picture of a kid and family in isolation," says Jane Aronson, an adoptive parent and pediatrician in New York City who specializes in international adoption. Isolation, adoption experts know, spells trouble " especially for a single woman adopting an older child from abroad. "You can make a great family as a single parent, but you have to have your ducks lined up."

By Russian law, Hansen would not have been able to adopt Artyom without making at least two trips abroad, first to meet the boy and then to pick him up. She would also have been required to complete a home study, in which a social worker would have entered her house and interviewed her extensively about her reasons for adopting and her preparations for parenthood. Social workers in these circumstances also typically educate would-be parents about the challenges that are likely to emerge post-adoption " all of which makes the notion that Hansen could have been blindsided by her son's difficulties almost as shocking as the difficulties themselves.

Violent outbursts and emotional detachment in older children adopted internationally are "very familiar to those of us in the field, as sad as it may be," says Michael Goldstein, an adoption attorney in Rye Brook, N.Y. Older adopted children often arrive in their new homes after being taken away from or abandoned by abusive parents. In the case of Russian adoptees, children have to spend at least a year in an orphanage before the country deems them eligible for international adoption. It can take years for older adopted children to fully integrate into their new families; some never do, and require a lifetime of therapy and extra care.

"This woman had alternatives," says Debbie Spivack, an adoption attorney with offices in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware who has helped facilitate placement of children given up by their adoptive families. "She really endangered the child and did something exceptionally damaging for everybody else."

Families in the midst of adopting children from Russia have been thrown into terrifying limbo. The country has been a popular choice since the mid-1990s for Americans hoping to adopt. But the Russian government has recently been promoting adoption domestically, spurred perhaps in part by a handful of high-profile abuse cases involving adoptees in the U.S. From 2004 to 2009, the number of Russian children adopted by American parents dropped by two-thirds. Families trying to adopt Russian children are bracing now, hoping the number will not drop to zero as a result of Hansen's reckless act.

"This is not a failure of the system. It's a failure of the parent," says Tom DiFilipo, president and CEO of the Joint Council on International Children's Services. "If someone's setting fire to your house, you call the police, not a travel agent."

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1981872,00.html?xid=rss-topstories#ixzz0l6voS2jS
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 03:28 pm
@dyslexia,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Firefly,
do u have an opinion
of whether he 'd be happier in America or in Russia ?

David
dyslexia wrote:
it may very well be a reasonable question dave but it doesn't really matter
what the answer is. children are, by law, property and their happiness
or well-being are really of no interest to legislators who enact law pertaining to children.
Bob, I 'll be very surprized
if u can find any law that declares human beings to be PROPERTY.

If u DO find such a law,
it will be violative of the 13th Amendment to the US Constitution.

David
firefly

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 03:32 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
The problem with international adoptions certainly isn't confined to Russia. Some of these things are truly shocking...

Quote:
International Adoption " A Market in Babies?
Michele Goodwin

More than 30 years ago, Elisabeth Landes and Prof. Richard Posner, now a federal appellate court judge, warned that there was “a considerable amount of baby selling” happening in the United States. Not surprisingly, this daunting assessment attracted strident criticism. Lawyers, social workers and others claimed that the article, which became euphemistically known as the “baby-selling article,” overstated the case and surmised that what they observed were necessary transaction fees attached to adoptions and nothing more. But the article’s observation sheds light on the case of Justin Hansen, the little boy who was adopted by an American woman and then returned to a Russian orphanage last week.

The case of Justin and his adoption by an American woman living with her mother has caused considerable controversy and evoked scrutiny from many countries. Some commentators claim that the boy simply had attachment disorder and that his adoptive grandmother, Nancy Hansen, and mother, Torry Hansen, should have tried harder with therapy. Others are sympathetic with the Hansens, who claim that the boy was violent, often had tantrums and threatened to burn down their home.

But this case is far more complicated than what many people understand. International adoptions have become a cottage industry. Americans are the leading importers of children in need of adoption. As the American demand for children from abroad has grown, the supply has been provided by a range of agencies " some legitimate and others quite questionable. At the same time, the costs and special transaction fees associated with international adoptions have risen.

In effect, the dynamics of law and economics are at play, with the costs of adopting children from abroad rising each year. Some critics of international adoption point out that adoption has become a cottage industry, where children are exploited and sometimes are not truly surrendered for adoption.

David Smolin, a law professor, counts himself as being in this unusual space. When he arranged to adopt two girls from India in the late ’90s, he believed that his new daughters were orphaned. After they arrived, he soon discovered that the girls were never surrendered for adoption, but were basically trafficked " stolen from their mother. In addition, the most painful part for his daughters was that the agency lied about their ages. As it turned out, they were older than the documents claimed they were.

But Smolin’s case is not unique. Other families face similar traumas and uncomfortable revelations. Maria Melichar of Mayer, Minn., spent $30,000 to adopt two girls from India, Komal and her sister, Shallu. After they arrived, the girls, who had been described as ages 12 and 11 respectively, had difficulty adjusting to their new American surroundings. Komal was often violent and angry. The family soon learned why, but not before spending tens of thousands of dollars and expending considerable energy to support their new daughters. In a shocking revelation, the parents learned that their new daughters were actually 21 and 15.

Everyone had been exploited; the girls and the Minnesota couple. In that case, too, the girls were sent back home.

Adoption fraud makes international adoptions a far more complicated zone. For decades, psychologists and others have described the tensions and unhappiness that children experience after their placement as “attachment disorder.” Surely in many cases they are right. But there are times when the label does not apply and can be misleading. This is compounded by language barriers; Americans adopt children from Russia, China, Korea, Guatemala and other countries without any language proficiencies in their children’s native tongues and therefore cannot communicate effectively.

Conflating all cases of adoptees not adapting well as “attachment disorder” obscures the fact that agencies and orphanages with very murky practices have rapidly developed in places like Russia, Guatemala, India, and other countries " to ship kids to the United States because it is profitable.

For children stolen from their parents, or trafficked for some other reason, the anxiety displayed may be because they feel victimized, not rescued from their circumstances. In fact, Guatemala, a country that ranks among the top four in the number of children sent to the United States for adoption, recently clamped down out of fear that children were being stolen from their parents, exploited in sex rings and trafficked for their organs. This was a powerful statement coming from a nation where one child for every hundred ends up in a United States home.

The case of Justin Hansen and his would-be American family highlights contemporary fault lines in international adoptions. Sometimes not all adoptions are exactly what they appear to be.

Michele Goodwin is the Everett Fraser professor of law and a professor of medicine at the University of Minnesota. She is the author of “Baby Markets: Money and the New Politics of Creating Families.”

Copyright 2010 The New York Times Company Privacy Policy NYTimes.com 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018
http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/12/questioning-international-adoptions/?pagemode=print
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 03:34 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
David wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing
You crack me up- although I wouldn't doubt it...parents these days - what're ya gonna do?
Well, if u want, u can compensate them for their lo$$ and advise them to be more careful.

David
aidan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 03:39 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
How do you compensate someone enough for being unlucky enough to get parents who would steal their birthday money from them- or put them on a plane alone because they drew the wrong picture and didn't like having their hair pulled?

Like I said - it's not funny David - and I really mean it when I say, 'Parents these days'....let's just say I am SO grateful I grew up when I did.

None of my adopted friends ever got sent back.
boomerang

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 03:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
boomer, do u think there 's any chance
that your friend woud be interested in posting to this thread ?

I doubt she would though I'm sure she'd have incredible insight.

While I'm sure she's aware of this story from the little blurb in our paper the other day, they don't have TVs or computers and that's where this story is going crazy.