My boss said I embarrassed her in front of customers (and is pissed as hell)...wtf!

dirrtydozen22

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 04:42 pm
@chai2,
I supposed I mentioned that I got my first raise in October and customers complimented my service to corporate. They gave me shitload of hours since summer until now. I earned those. They even said I did well before this "incident." I just don't think apologizing is a reason for disciplining an employee. It's amazing how ppl could come up with excuses to punish others just cuz she's high maintenance.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 05:44 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
dirrtydozen22 wrote:

I supposed I mentioned that I got my first raise in October and customers complimented my service to corporate. They gave me shitload of hours since summer until now. I earned those. They even said I did well before this "incident." I just don't think apologizing is a reason for disciplining an employee. It's amazing how ppl could come up with excuses to punish others just cuz she's high maintenance.

They did not discipline you for apologizing to your supervisor.

You were disciplined for your inappropriate choice of timing and location to discuss with your supervisor a personnel matter where the customers could hear you.

You were disciplined for your inappropriate choice of voice level and tone to express the personnel matter to your supervisor.

You were disciplined for your inappropriate and incorrect assumption that the decision to cut back hours on that one day was something specific to you only, and the way you chose to communicate that assumption and reaction to your supervisor.

You were disciplined because your choice of actions and tone caused the company to receive complaints from their customers.

These are important points that you need to think hard about, DD. Nothing is going to change for you until take responsibility for your choice of actions and not try to spin it as you being disciplined for apologizing.

Your supervisor has to protect herself too. Your choice of actions that caused customers to complain to the company put her job in jeopardy, too. You need to figure that out and communicate your understanding of this to your supervisor.

If I were your supervisor, I'd hesitate to return you to full duty hours until I felt you understood those points and assured me you had learned how to better handle yourself at work.

Quit being so defensive about it and use it as an opportunity to learn from it and improve yourself.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 05:51 pm
@Butrflynet,
lol that's exactly what she said...till I could prove that I could behave myself. In that case, I shall do my part and give them space until they're ready to give me hours again.
Ragman

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 09:43 am
@dirrtydozen22,
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 09:50 am
Of course, it's amazing how people could change. I can't trust people to like me forever, but at least I trust God. I forgive her since yesterday. I hope she could forgive me as well, but I wouldn't bet on it. It's been a whole week, a long time to hold grudges. Does she really think I did this on purpose or does that not matter? I may have cuased customers to call and complain about her, and I'm sorry if that could potentially get her into trouble. However, I didn't make them call. I didn't hand them the phone and yell at them to dial the store. It wasn't really my loud voice, it's the fact that I unknowingly presented myself as victim and customers saw me as such, which really means they acted based on wrong assumptions.

So, how could she suddenly be replaced by a evil twin after a whole year of being good? I sincerely apologized for causing a scene in public and embarrassing her. What more could I do? I've never been in a helpless position.

Tomorrow, I get to call and see about my hours. I'm awaiting results.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 11:00 am
@dirrtydozen22,
Based on what you've just written, I wouldn't hire you back. You haven't learned a thing about yourself or how to better handle such situations in the future from this opportunity.

You are not in a helpless position. You are in a position where only you can help yourself and you refuse to do so. You still prefer to be defensive and expect others to make exceptions and accommodations for your choices.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 11:20 am
@Butrflynet,
ya, I don't have a lot of trouble with people who choose to be pricks (not quite the right word, alludes to your conscious refusal to conform to established social graces), but for God's sake take responsibility for the consequences.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 11:41 am
@dirrtydozen22,
dirrtydozen22 wrote:

"... , it's amazing how people could change. I can't trust people to like me forever, but at least I trust God. I forgive her since yesterday. I hope she could forgive me as well, but I wouldn't bet on it. It's been a whole week, a long time to hold grudges. Does she really think I did this on purpose?"
{edit}
snip

So, how could she suddenly be replaced by a evil twin after a whole year of being good? I sincerely apologized for causing a scene in public and embarrassing her. What more could I do? I've never been in a helpless position.

Tomorrow, I get to call and see about my hours. I'm awaiting results.

Maybe she (and they'll) all become good again, just like what you expect. Honestly, what is wrong with the world? Why can't they cooperate? If they all think you're too loud, shouldn't they just stand further back?

And, when you're talking to your supervisor, shouldn't they mind their own business, even though you're broadcasting as though using a megaphone? Seriously, own up to what you contribute to all this and make some meaningful changes. You can do it if you motivate yourself and recognize what you need to fix.

There are some things that apologies don't cover as there are basic work place behaviors that you aren't understanding. Most people understand those 'social cues'. Some need to learn them. Others may not or cannot learn them.

I recall that last July, back when you had the problem with Walmart, you wrote that you took anger management classes. Did you complete them or stop going to them before the classes ended?

Remember, while this is not a forever-job -- it's a McDonald's part-time job. How are you ever going to handle a full-time job, where the management is a bit more experienced and professional? How will you get hired in the first place if you have zero good references?
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 02:29 pm
well some better news here. On Wednesday, she actually said to come in to talk, which I did. When we met, she said I'm doing good and that I'm on track. However, I still have to wait awhile longer before she put me back on bc she wants to see in the long run that I could keep it up. Meaning, stop going in there that often and when I do, order something and behave myself while I'm at it. She said to meet with her sometimes next week and see how things turns out.
mm25075

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 08:21 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
dirrtydozen22 wrote:

Meaning, stop going in there that often and when I do, order something and behave myself while I'm at it. She said to meet with her sometimes next week and see how things turns out.

So she is telling you that unless you are a paying customer, don't go there.

If I were in a similar situation, I would be looking for a new job. There is no guarantee she will ever give you very many hours. From the management side there may have been other employees affected by the scene.

Harassment in the work place can include co-workers feeling uncomfortable. Right now they are doing what they have to make sure you are not given the opportunity to create any other kind of scene.
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 01:59 pm
but she will put me back on schedule at least. That's exactly what she said.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 02:16 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
you have poisoned the well. Find a new well, and take a new you to it.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 02:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'll see what happens when I go in on Wednesday.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 02:33 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
the point you miss because of youthful ignorance is this: now that they have made up their minds about you they will being looking to confirm their opinion, they will subconsciously want to prove themselves right. Everything you do will be watched closely, any hint that you don't know how to behave will be blown up into this big thing. The only way you can survive is if you are perfect, and no one is.

that is if you ever get back to work in the first place, which is far from certain.
roger

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 04:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye, you are exactly right.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 09:23 am
@hawkeye10,
Yes, agreed! It's called being managed.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 09:25 am
@dirrtydozen22,
How long will you survive financially on little or no hours. Can you smell the coffee, yet?
dirrtydozen22

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:30 am
@Ragman,
haha but I still have the job and she's just waiting to see me prove myself that I could actually behave. I'll meet with her on Wednesday. And she's not that mad ne more. btw, I found out for sure today that those phone calls got her into trouble by her boss. AND customers won't come back if they think she's mistreating me. I take full responsibility now that I realize the seriousness of what I did. Whether or not it's intentional is irrevelent.
mm25075

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:51 am
@dirrtydozen22,
How many employees in your work location say they still have a job but are not being given any work hours? Is this something normal?

Seems like it would be pretty easy to behave if you are not working.

I fail to see how your future behavior will be improved. You state that you can realize now the seriousnesses of the situation but what are you going to do that will prevent the situation from ever happening again?
dirrtydozen22

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 12:16 pm
@mm25075,
Well the real problem is that I acted like my boss mistreats me and customers complain about that. Then she gets into trouble by her superiors. All I have to do is prolly not act that way again. Maybe keep my voice down. Look happy. I'll meet w/ her the 2nd time on Wednesday and see if I'm still "doing good" and "on track."

My coworker was not given any hours for 2 weeks for attitude problem. The 3rd week, she got one day. Thereafter, she earned back ALL her hours. She prolly went through the same things I'm going through.