Overqualified? Yes, but Happy to Have a Job? Or maybe not so happy?

Linkat

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:52 pm
@msolga,
I anticipate getting some sort raise, but it will be small. I think my husband did not unemployment because he made no base salary. He works recruiting so whenever he placed a person in a position he would receive a commission. Unemployment is based on your salary (at least from what I understand) and since he didn't technically have a salary - no pay out.
jespah

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 04:40 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

[...

Quote:
Anyway, I'm using it as an opportunity to redefine myself yet again and try to get a new career in social media marketing/community management (yes, you can work as a moderator-type person for an actual salary). Not easy to find work but I am networking up a storm. An SM/CM (social media/community manager) role tends to be one for a more mature organization. So startup guys like me but have nothing for me. But they might in 3 - 6 - 12 months or so. Hence I hang in there and keep networking.

I'm interested in this "networking" thing, jespah. You mentioned on another thread recently that FaceBook is great for networking. You know, I have absolutely no idea of what that would involve. Quite intrigues me, wondering how it works.

And you can actually earn a salary as a "moderator-type person"! You don't just get to do it out of the goodness of your heart? Wink Good luck, you've certainly had enough background experience for a position like that!

I really hope you do get the opportunity to try something quite different.

Actually, no, I said Facebook is lousy for finding work. That's not its purpose. It's LinkedIn that's good for networking. And I just explained this to POM so I'll just plonk the link here: http://able2know.org/topic/121586-7#post-3956943

And, thanks. Community Management is moderation plus more, like marketing and support and promotions. There are forums for commercial ventures and they want people to stay a lot more on topic (and be more positive), so a CM role encompasses that as well.

Anyway, thanks for asking about this. It's a real issue. There is going to be some moment where enough critical mass is hit and hiring is going to start again. This Spring/Summer, I hope. Smile
msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 05:05 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
..no, I said Facebook is lousy for finding work. That's not its purpose. It's LinkedIn that's good for networking.

Mustn't have been communicating/posting all that clearly last night. (It was very late!)

Quote:
It's a real issue. There is going to be some moment where enough critical mass is hit and hiring is going to start again. This Spring/Summer, I hope. Smile

I really hope so, too!

It sounds like quite a few people's lives are "on hold" in the meantime.
There's some real hardship being lived through, out there in my own community, I know. But things sound much tougher in parts of the US.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:36 pm
@sozobe,
I like your choice of potential work options, soz.
Challenging, but stimulating & rewarding (to both you & the students). Good stuff to get one's teeth into! Smile

Quote:
Really the main limitation is from myself rather than from employers though. What I enjoy the most is a CEO sort of position, and it's really hard to do that on a part-time basis. I like "the buck stops here" sorts of positions, I enjoy the authority and the ability to Make Things Happen, but they're really hard to put in nice tidy time containers. They tend to be messy and all-encompassing, which I don't have time for right now.

You're going to be dynamite when your time is freed up! And you'll be raring to go by then! Watch this space! Very Happy
sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:37 pm
@msolga,
Very Happy Thanks for the vote of confidence! We'll see....
msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:40 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
The work is seasonal and the main requirements are to show up on time, remember to bring your own water, move heavy things I point at and be entertaining when you tell me why you decided to major in_______
(Fill in the blank with Philosophy, English, History, Pottery, other) ...

Can I come & work for you, GreenWitch? Wink

Sounds like a terrific work situation (due the employer!) for any student to find themselves in.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:51 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Very Happy Thanks for the vote of confidence! We'll see....

Oh I think we definitely will, soz! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:54 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Well, I took the test and passed in the 90th percentile but all that gave me was a certificate that would allow me to begin a master's program in education and to substitute teach. What nonsense.

And rather crazy, too.
Don't get it, don't get it at all, POM! Neutral
msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 07:04 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
I anticipate getting some sort raise, but it will be small. I think my husband did not unemployment because he made no base salary. He works recruiting so whenever he placed a person in a position he would receive a commission. Unemployment is based on your salary (at least from what I understand) and since he didn't technically have a salary - no pay out.

<shaking head vigorously in disbelief>

Not illegible for unemployment benefits, because of no base salary? What is he supposed to do, turn to crime to support himself? Talk about catch 22!! Surprised

... And to have that compounded by not receiving commissions (pay) unless finding work for clients (at a time of acknowledged extreme job shortages/high unemployment), well, I dunno, I really don't ....

(I'm feeling rather outraged here on your husband's behalf, Linkat. Incredible!)
littlek

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 07:20 pm
I am over-qualified in a way. I have a masters in education, but am getting paid to teach special ed at a (big) notch below teacher salary. I am ok with that now because it's experience in teaching, special ed, and classroom management. But one more year of this will be more than enough. I haven't applied for teaching jobs extensively, but when I do I know there are MANY others applying for each of them.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 07:46 pm
@msolga,
That makes two of us!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 06:14 am
@littlek,
Quote:
I am over-qualified in a way. I have a masters in education, but am getting paid to teach special ed at a (big) notch below teacher salary. I am ok with that now because it's experience in teaching, special ed, and classroom management.

You are over-qualified & under-paid for the actual work you are doing, k.
But I do understand your reasons for accepting this situation. Without any actual teaching experience in your field, (as you suggest) you'd probably have little chance of gaining a position that you're actually qualified for. It's a pickle isn't it?

I just hope the school appreciates your work & will be really supportive when it comes to job application time. As you say, it's a tough market out there.
dlowan

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 07:15 am
@msolga,
I am sort of over-qualified, in that I ought (if following the usual career trajectory) to be in at least middle management by now, and earning quite a bit more.

However, it being that I am not a manager's left buttock, and I don't want to do it (though I find myself with the odd glimmerings of such a desire, but I have a cup of tea, a Bex and a good lie down whenever this occurs and I find that it goes away) I am pretty damn happy with this!

I have a clinically based senior position anyway, and that is cool with me. Our bosses are actually trying to get some of us classified upwards, and given that I consult statewide, I might even get it....perhaps. That'd be nice...but c'est la vie.
mismi

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 07:20 am
@dlowan,
I'm so underqualified for anything but raising kids it's not funny. But I love what I do - I can manage to find ways to make additional income. But if anything ever happened to my husband and for some reason the insurance wasn't enough? I am soooo screwed.

I am going to do my Scarlett O'Hara impression now and think about it TOMORROW.
msolga

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 07:23 am
@mismi,
Smile

What about the art teaching you do at your local primary school, Missy?

Do you have any qualifications for that?

If not Idea why not get qualified? Sounds like you really love doing it!

(I don't mean start tomorrow, necessarily! Wink )
mismi

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 07:29 am
@msolga,
I would love to. I have a music degree, and an english degree...I just don't have the teaching certificates and the masters (they are requiring them now for public schools here in my county).

I have thought about it many times. About the time my husband lost his job I actually had papers to fill out and all. Since then - I have been having to fill up my available time with extra work.

Maybe soon. I will look into it again and see if we can swing it. I hate to say it - but it is just exhausting thinking about it. My play time is already so limited - I am afraid it would disappear altogether. And I like to play.

I know the answer to that is put my big girl panties on and get about business. And I suppose I will.
msolga

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 07:31 am
@mismi,
Any opportunity in your area to do a masters part-time? Over a period of years?

mismi

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 07:31 am
@msolga,
Oh yeah...we have schools everywhere. It's me Olga. It's just me. Gotta find my gumption.
msolga

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 07:33 am
@mismi,
Need any help with that, Missy?

I'm certain we could find plenty of takers for a Mismi support group! Very Happy
mismi

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 07:37 am
@msolga,
You're sweet - It'll be fine. No thankyou Very Happy - That's just embarrassing! Wink That's enough to make me go out right now and put my hands on the paperwork. A little attention - great. Too much - and I implode.