So I just joined Facebook....

jespah

Sun 4 Apr, 2010 04:59 am
@plainoldme,
Facebook is really not good for finding work. You want LinkedIn.
dadpad

Sun 4 Apr, 2010 06:31 am
I have to agree with jespah on that score especially in the professional department.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Tue 6 Apr, 2010 07:56 pm
@TTH,
TTH wrote:

"Microsoft invests $240 million in Facebook
Software maker wins in bidding war with Google, buys 1.6 percent share"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21458486/

Now that is alot of money for less than 2% interest.

Facebook is valued between 10 and 15 billion dollars
0 Replies

plainoldme

Tue 6 Apr, 2010 08:23 pm
@jespah,
My daughter's idea was networking, not actual job hunting. I actually joined LinkedIn prior to joining FB. Guess what? I have never been contacted by anyone through LI!
jespah

Wed 7 Apr, 2010 04:05 am
@plainoldme,
Neither was I until I started becoming more active there. LI really is the place where people go to seriously network.
plainoldme

Wed 7 Apr, 2010 07:59 am
@jespah,
yeah, I just don't see how. There are far too many roadblocks to participation.
jespah

Wed 7 Apr, 2010 04:14 pm
@plainoldme,
Join LinkedIn groups that interest you. Send notes to people in your area who are members of your group(s) and ask them to connect with you (tell them you are looking to network in your area, and see they are successful in their field so you'd like to learn from them). Once they have connected to you, you have their email address about 95% of the time. Then email them and ask to have a networking coffee for 20 minutes some time in the next couple of weeks. Let them pick the place or suggest one (Starbucks is the old standby). For the meeting, don't bring a resume. Bring business cards if you have them or just paper and a pen and talk about the field you're trying to get into or the company you're trying to get into or however (and why ever) you connected with them in the first place. Ask for advice and take notes, even if it's something you've heard a thousand times before. Offer to buy the coffee. Ask if there are any books or blogs you should read, periodicals you can pick up, events you can attend, or groups (either virtual or in person) you can join that will help you along. Send an email thank you when you get back home. Keep in touch with them about once every 6 weeks or so, even if it's just to say hi or send a link to an article you saw that they might find interesting.

Some people will be helpful, some won't. But most people really, really want to try because they know exactly what it's like to try to network. Very often, it's the people who you think are least likely to be helpful who prove to be most helpful.

I've been doing this for a few months (I'm trying to break into a new field, so I need to start from ground zero and meet as many people as possible). If I write to 10 people to ask them to connect with me, I generally get about 8 yeses. Of those 8, usually 1 or 2 agree to meet with me. Of the ones who meet with me, about 1/3 - 1/2 have something helpful to tell me -- books to read, people I should connect with, blogs I should read, networking events to attend, companies that might be hiring someone like me in the near future, networking groups to join, etc. Plus every single one of these activities counts for job search activities (I don't know if you're unemployed and need to prove due diligence to Mass. Dep't of Employment and Training, but I am, and all of this stuff counts).

Also, I try to meet as much of a variety of people as possible because I'm trying to attack my problem (which is to become employed again) from as many different angles as possible. Hence I've now got a stack of books I'm going through, advice about business card design, brainstorming about who to approach and offer my services to, how to get started with blogging and even just some commiseration about how tough it is to find work these days.

Hope this helps!
0 Replies

MorganBieber

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 11:17 pm
@DrewDad,
Um no.
0 Replies

jackster

Wed 27 Apr, 2011 10:45 pm
im new to facebook... and my friends mom... whos house im at 24/7 sent me some requests to people that i may know... she sent them as friends i should add.... well.. i dont know the people... and they keep appearing on my friend request... there is no "x" so i cant delete them that way... theres no "delete request" or anything.. and if i click on their name it brings me to their profile... and the only thing at the top of it is "add as a friend".... its irritating me... can someone help me please...
Butrflynet

Wed 27 Apr, 2011 11:06 pm
@jackster,
If they are on the list of invites, there should be a Yes or No button on the friend request from them. Click No.

If they are not on the list of invites, what you are seeing are friend suggestions, not actual invites. If you move your cursor over the suggestions, an X should appear in the upper right corner of each of them. Click the X to remove the suggestion.
Region Philbis

Thu 28 Apr, 2011 04:32 am
@Butrflynet,

i think once a friend request is in the FB database, it stays in your rotation whether you X it out or not.
i keep seeing the same people i don't know over and over...
djjd62

Thu 28 Apr, 2011 04:51 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
i keep seeing the same people i don't know over and over...

i get the same thing when i got to town Razz
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 28 Apr, 2011 06:14 am
@Region Philbis,
They do eventually disappear.

I finally got the whole recommendation thing to go away. I wish I remember how - I'd do it for P. O'Hamster as well.
0 Replies

royable

Sat 28 May, 2011 09:29 pm
@DrewDad,
Facebook is great fun. Get those status updates. Upload photos and yes play games. I like Mafia Wars, yeah!
0 Replies

fredesterly

Wed 8 Jun, 2011 04:17 am
@margo,
try to make few......
0 Replies

fredesterly

Wed 8 Jun, 2011 04:18 am
@margo,
We can be a good friend........
sumi11

Tue 10 Jan, 2012 01:28 am
it is no prob
0 Replies

margo

Tue 10 Jan, 2012 07:32 pm
@fredesterly,
fredesterly wrote:

We can be a good friend........

This fellow offered to be my friend...and he hasn't been seen since! (or hardly).
Crying or Very sad Sad
0 Replies

surovi

Tue 10 Jan, 2012 11:48 pm
@DrewDad,
it is easy to join
0 Replies

Reyn

Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:48 pm
Hmm, just found this. Will be going through the whole thread as I have time.

I recently joined Facebook, too, and looking for friends. Very Happy