Overqualified? Yes, but Happy to Have a Job? Or maybe not so happy?

msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 08:23 am
@jespah,
Quote:
My first permanent job at a stable company since 2000 (that had its best year ever in 2009, BTW), was outsourced to some lovely folks on the subcontinent (e. g. I didn't work there any longer than I had at my last three temp assignments). And then, of course, the company realized that no one knew how to do not only my job but also the jobs of half of the other people who were downsized (oops, no one knew how to update the ecommerce site!).

Ha! Serves them right!! Twisted Evil

Quote:
Anyway, I'm using it as an opportunity to redefine myself yet again and try to get a new career in social media marketing/community management (yes, you can work as a moderator-type person for an actual salary). Not easy to find work but I am networking up a storm. An SM/CM (social media/community manager) role tends to be one for a more mature organization. So startup guys like me but have nothing for me. But they might in 3 - 6 - 12 months or so. Hence I hang in there and keep networking.

I'm interested in this "networking" thing, jespah. You mentioned on another thread recently that FaceBook is great for networking. You know, I have absolutely no idea of what that would involve. Quite intrigues me, wondering how it works.

And you can actually earn a salary as a "moderator-type person"! You don't just get to do it out of the goodness of your heart? Wink Good luck, you've certainly had enough background experience for a position like that!

Quote:
I've heard of a lot of people who remain (and not just at the place I was outsourced from) who are dissatisfied. It's not just overqualified people, it's also overworked people. Gee, what a big surprise. Give people three times as much work to do at the same salary and they're pissed off and depressed? My God! Why aren't those people ecstatic to be working at all???

That's such a common story. Reduce the numbers employed in particular jobs & increase everyone's workload dramatically! Crazy & short-sighted, I think. I mean, employers don't get the best effort out of exhausted, disgruntled employees, surely? I guess the employees aren't ecstatic because they feel like slaves? But I do see your point, though. At least they still have their jobs.

I really hope you do get the opportunity to try something quite different.
sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 08:27 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

This is great!

I was thinking no one was going to respond to this thread. (Maybe my questions were a bit on the nosy side, I wondered?) Anyway, it's so interesting to read all your different responses ...

Remember the time zone part, msolga! While this isn't solely an American board, there are a lot of Americans, and you started this thread at about midnight EST. I fairly frequently see you post stuff and be sad that nobody has responded yet when it's actually the middle of the night here, so just mentioning.

Meanwhile, I'm lucky enough to not NEED to work (though we would have a lot more financial breathing room if I did -- we have enough on E.G.'s salary but not much more than enough), but I really enjoy working. I've had or have looked at jobs that I'm way overqualified for, some were OK, some were galling. I just don't really have the time to do the jobs I'm qualified for, though. Typically they'd be full-time-plus -- jobs that are nominally 40 hrs a week but in actuality stretch to 50, 60, 70. My family is important to me, and my friends and relative freedom too, and so I'm not sure when I'll go back to work. I keep an eye open and every once in a while something ever-so-close lands on my lap. At some point, if nothing has presented itself, I'd probably go ahead and try to create the sort of job I want, with grants and such.
msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 08:29 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
all i want form a job is a paycheck, in return i will do the job required (and usually a bit beyond, sometimes to the extreme)

i'm not interested in being head of a department, steady work, check at the end of the week

i've never defined myself by my job

Not at all a bad approach if the rest of one's life is full & interesting, djjd. (Wished I'd been a little more that way, sometimes, instead of living the job.)
You sound incredibly well adjusted to me! Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 08:33 am
I have experienced personally and through others many of these situations.

Hubby is currently working without pay (has been for over a year). He is paid on commission and has made nothing in over a year. He was let go a year or so ago from the company he was working for - since he was paid commission, he did not receive any unemployment benefits or pay. We have been without his income for over a year. He is working for another company from home, but so far no commissions.

I've been "gainfully" employed - survived the layoffs. I'd like to be laid off (if hubby was earning). At this point ironically, I've thought of going your previous route msolga and teach and I'd also consider a financial planner with the right company (kinda a teaching role in a different compacity). I am not 100% dissatisfied with my job - I like it, but with good and bad days - and like jespah said overworked because of layoffs. But some good news we are expected raises this year, although high end is 2% so I may have an increase of $20 or so a month.

I also know one of the laid off victims from my workplace. Believe it or not he seems the best off. His wife was working part time and was able to increase her hours to full time. He got a generous package (which has run out now), but was and is still collecting unemployment. He is working part time here and there when it works for him under the table so he can still collect. He is taking the summer off and collecting unemployment so they will not have to pay child care when their kids are off from school.

One of the reasons I don't like the extension of unemployment benefits is these types of individuals purposely not working and not looking for a job.
msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 08:44 am
@mismi,
Quote:
Hey Olga -

Hey mismi Smile

Wow, you've had to do some serious adjusting by the sounds of it, mismi! I'm really glad for you that you weren't forced to move. Sounds like you're perfectly happy where you are! Smile

Do you think your husband will become frustrated if work opportunities in his field remain so scarce for quite a while yet?

But then ...
Quote:
But when I think about some of the people I know and how they went 8 months without a job - some still do not have jobs...well - all I can feel is relief

Yes.

Quote:
I am a music teacher at a preschool three days a week...and I love it, couldn't do without it, but I am having to pick up other jobs along the way. I now will be teaching art / art history classes to elementary age children for 5 week sessions. It is mostly homeschooled kids. And I am substitute teaching at a few of my local schools. With three of my own children and baseball season here (they all three play)...I am exhausted

Dunno how you do all that, mismi! I feel tired just reading it!

Green Witch

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 08:46 am
I love overqualified workers. They don't stay as long, but they tend to be great when they're working for me.
mismi

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 08:54 am
@msolga,

You can call me Missy Very Happy

Quote:
Do you think your husband will become frustrated if work opportunities in his field remain so scarce for quite a while yet?

Well...right now he is blessed to be working with folks he knows. He also has worked from the medical insurance end of internal auditing. So he has a lot of connections. He is working with guys he has known for years and it is a very low stress job. To be honest, he is an "absent minded professor". He can focus when he needs to but he is actually loving the lack of stress and the extra hours he gets to be able to come home and read. He is an avid reader. We have book stacks all over the house.

After working such a high stress job for so many years, while I stayed home with the kids, I am just glad he can take a break. He keeps his eyes open to see if there is anything available here in this area that would increase our income - but so far no luck. Like I said - I love my music job. I enjoy the art classes fine. I could do without the substitute teaching..but that is only when I can - or have the opportunity...

I don't do it well Olga - my house is a wreck. Smile
Right now I am working on lesson plans for May and finishing up the canvasses for the art classes. I piddle a bit in between. I really can't complain.

But the house - oh the house. Such a mess - I resist it. I wish I could blink my eyes and it be miraculously in order. Very Happy

Trade offs - it's all about trading off. Finding a way to get happy where you live.
msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 08:58 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
My view was that since I had been an assistant editor, I had management experience. My ex insisted I work only in NH, not in MA, only two miles away. Driving home from an interview to serve as former Gov. Meldrim Thomson's press secretary, I saw workers hanging a marquee on a new employment agency.

I called immediately. The woman who answered identified herself as the president of the new firm. After I capsulized my C.V. for her, she told me that I was virtually unemployable. I said that I had been employed since graduation and her response was: That was in the Midwest. Here, in New England, we have standards.

Goodness me! Standards!

Bet that made you feel terrific, POM! Neutral

Quote:
... I earned a second masters from one of the traditional Ivy covered towers. Since then I have earned less than $20,000/annum, temping, substitute teaching, retailing, shelving library books and more.

I work six or seven days a week for this small amount of money so I have neither sufficient money nor time. On the other hand, I love my community college teaching post. . . one of the top three jobs of my life and one for which I am totally qualified . . . the problem is one three hour class pays $2,500 for the 16-week semester.

That (the pay) is quite appalling. Is that standard teachers' pay in the US for the qualifications you hold?
Just as well you love your job. It'd be hell if you didn't!
msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 09:07 am
@djjd62,
Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 09:20 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
.... I'm lucky enough to not NEED to work (though we would have a lot more financial breathing room if I did -- we have enough on E.G.'s salary but not much more than enough), but I really enjoy working. I've had or have looked at jobs that I'm way overqualified for, some were OK, some were galling. I just don't really have the time to do the jobs I'm qualified for, though. Typically they'd be full-time-plus -- jobs that are nominally 40 hrs a week but in actuality stretch to 50, 60, 70.

It's maddening, isn't it, soz? I mean that there aren't enough half-stimulating part-time (or casual, even!) jobs for people in your position? I think employers are really being short-sighted by being so inflexible. Why does it have to be all or nothing? Confused

Quote:
My family is important to me, and my friends and relative freedom too, and so I'm not sure when I'll go back to work. I keep an eye open and every once in a while something ever-so-close lands on my lap. At some point, if nothing has presented itself, I'd probably go ahead and try to create the sort of job I want, with grants and such.

Do you have any thoughts at the moment on the type of job you might create, soz? (I would have loved to have done something like that!)

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 09:26 am
@msolga,
Probably some sort of a service job, maybe working with deaf kids and their parents. Not sure where along the spectrum -- early intervention, mentoring, college readiness, post-secondary job training, etc. The earliest is the most fun/ rewarding but tends to have the most services already. If I were creating something, it would have to be an area with a demonstrated lack/ need. So that's probably where I'd start, doing a thorough survey of what services are already out there and what populations are underserved. I'm involved in the Deaf community here and have a pretty good idea (but not as many details as I'd need to write a viable grant) and lots of contacts that I could use if I get to that point.

Really the main limitation is from myself rather than from employers though. What I enjoy the most is a CEO sort of position, and it's really hard to do that on a part-time basis. I like "the buck stops here" sorts of positions, I enjoy the authority and the ability to Make Things Happen, but they're really hard to put in nice tidy time containers. They tend to be messy and all-encompassing, which I don't have time for right now.
msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 09:27 am
@sozobe,
And thanks for explaining the time zone thing, soz!

All is clear now! Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 09:47 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
Hubby is currently working without pay (has been for over a year). He is paid on commission and has made nothing in over a year. He was let go a year or so ago from the company he was working for - since he was paid commission, he did not receive any unemployment benefits or pay. We have been without his income for over a year. He is working for another company from home, but so far no commissions.

So he's ineligible for unemployment benefits because you're working, Linkat? Is that how it works? I don't understand how he could be ineligible for unemployment benefits (while not earning any money) simply because he worked on a commission basis. (No, don't try to explain if it's complicated. I'll accept that that's just the way things are. But it seems very wrong & unfair to me.) In any case, he's had a tough time of it. It must be hard for him to keep his spirits up at times.

Quote:
I've been "gainfully" employed - survived the layoffs. I'd like to be laid off (if hubby was earning). At this point ironically, I've thought of going your previous route msolga and teach and I'd also consider a financial planner with the right company (kinda a teaching role in a different compacity). I am not 100% dissatisfied with my job - I like it, but with good and bad days - and like jespah said overworked because of layoffs. But some good news we are expected raises this year, although high end is 2% so I may have an increase of $20 or so a month.

Luckily you've kept your job, though I really do appreciate the "overwork" factor. I'm guessing that you'll be waiting for your husband to gain more stable employment before you consider changing jobs? I do hope you receive that pay rise, Linkat. It sounds like you've more than earned it!
msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 09:53 am
@Green Witch,
Quote:
I love overqualified workers. They don't stay as long, but they tend to be great when they're working for me.

That's interesting, GreenWitch.

I'd imagine most employers would be concerned about them not staying long?

You sound a very flexible employer!
plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 10:03 am
@msolga,
No, it is not the standard pay. MA has an odd approach to teacher certification. I was certified by the state of Michigan in the early 70s, taking the classes necessary for certification and not a master's in education which was really frowned on at that time.

Michigan had some strict standards for English teachers: one class each in grammar, expository writing above the sophomore level. A class in Shakespeare as well as another in AMerican Lit, 1830-65 plus 30 hours of assorted literature classes were demanded. Massachusetts has no such academic standard but makes candidates TAKE A STANDARDIZED TEST!

Well, I took the test and passed in the 90th percentile but all that gave me was a certificate that would allow me to begin a master's program in education and to substitute teach. What nonsense.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 10:09 am
A young friend of mine took a non-tenure track post at Hampshire College, once a bastion of liberalism and now a mess of libertarianism. She had hoped that she would be able to gain experience and then go on to a tenure track position in a less cruel and chaotic environment.

She began looking at the end of the second year of her three year contract. She looked for a year afterwards. She is now in a low level administrative post at Amherst College and loves the work although she is sometimes "talked down" to by students and faculty members who do not know that she has a doctorate. She is in her mid-30s.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 10:17 am
@mismi,
Quote:
You can call me Missy Very Happy

Ok, Missy! Very Happy

Quote:
he is actually loving the lack of stress and the extra hours he gets to be able to come home and read. He is an avid reader. We have book stacks all over the house.

After working such a high stress job for so many years, while I stayed home with the kids, I am just glad he can take a break.

This man sounds very sane to me, Missy!
No, seriously, he does. He could be (if he was someone else) gnashing his teeth about the loss of that fantastic income, he could be making himself miserable about lost opportunities for advancement. I like his approach! Smile

Quote:
But the house - oh the house. Such a mess - I resist it. I wish I could blink my eyes and it be miraculously in order. Very Happy

I could show you my house & you'd feel a whole lot better, I assure you!

Quote:
Trade offs - it's all about trading off. Finding a way to get happy where you live.

Now you're sounding extraordinarily sane, too! Smile
Couldn't agree more!

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 10:39 am
@msolga,
The work is seasonal and the main requirements are to show up on time, remember to bring your own water, move heavy things I point at and be entertaining when you tell me why you decided to major in_______
(Fill in the blank with Philosophy, English, History, Pottery, other) ...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 02:38 pm
@Green Witch,
I took Philosophy as a pre-law course.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:15 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
And there's nothing wrong with that. If you had stopped there you might have being planting a dozen 10 gal hydrangeas around a pool garden today.
0 Replies