F.D.A. Calls Cloned Animals Safe as Food

wenchilina

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 05:50 pm
Something being genetically altered happens in nature: viruses integrate into DNA, microbes swap genetic material and plants hybridize. The concept of species, as it is generally used, is an artificial human invention; how can an artificial construct be used to decide what is or is not natural?

Ignorant rhetoric, myths and not understanding molecular bio and genetics seem to run the campaign against cloning and GM foods. Amusing perhaps, but such hyperbole obscures the real issue: are the benefits greater than the costs? The question can only be answered on a case by case basis using real science, not by fear-mongering ignorami who receive and perpetuate misinformation from the popular media.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 05:51 pm
Unfortunately, I am no hunter. Guess grubs and grass will by on the menue.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 05:52 pm
Quote:
Closest I've come is out on my horse being tracked at sundown by a pack of coyotes. Needless to say we made it home as fast as my beast could move his legs.

Woke up one morning at the fringe of Yosemite by myself to a pack of yipping coyotes moving up the canyon. Very strange, as they are usually solitary in the area. Packed up and moved into the open as soon as possible.

Quote:
Question: What makes the cloning of food animals a necessity. Anyone?

Search me.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 05:55 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Unfortunately, I am no hunter. Guess grubs and grass will by on the menue.

Ick. That should be enough to get even the most strident veggie to start working on their bow and rifle skills.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 06:02 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Ick. That should be enough to get even the most strident veggie to start working on their bow and rifle skills.

Laughing Locusts, earthworms etc are mostly water. No harm in those guys

unless they're genetically modified frankenlocusts Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 06:11 pm
pateodog, scary! I'd be all - "nice kitty" - then promptly feint! Bear alerts a common occurance in the area where I live, plus mountain lions stroll through the meadows. Haven't met either where there was a threat to my safety though, thankfully.

Fabulous picture, cjhsa. Thanks

wenchlina,

There's an abundance of wildlife, deer, bear, puma, plus smaller critters in the area. The most facinating is the sound of coyotes when they begin gathering for a hunt - giving me plenty of warning for bringing the "herd" indoors. After the hunt begins, the animals are quiet and efficient. With Fall season here, all the animals are busy collecting food, and hunting for winter. A panorama of nature's survival. Amazing.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 06:16 pm
I grew up where you live. My coyote pack encounter and my one bear encounter (actually my girlfriend's, to my unending dismay -- may have put her off backpacking forever) happened right around Lake Eleanor, which is over the ridge from Cherry Lake, if that means anything, so I know it well. (Though you're more likely on the I-80 corridor than down by Sonora, given the population levels around there, I suppose...)
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 06:25 pm
I'm against cloning animals and gm modified foods because of the data that exists, that and the idea of a company taking my food, modifying the genes for pest contorl, or altering any animals dna for the sole purpose of selling more steaks.

What are the long term affects on both animal and human health? Nobody knows.

Not many people wish being the data gatherers for experimental foods.
Unfortunately, animals don't have a voice in the matter. I certainly have a voice and a choice.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 06:31 pm
Stradee wrote:
I'm against cloning animals and gm modified foods because of the data that exists.

Which data exactly?
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 06:33 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
They don't have to label cloned animals or genetically altered plants. Meaning there's no choice. Makes one want to consider the life of a survivalist.

The argument that consumers should have a choice is flawed. In order to have a true choice one has to have information with which to make an informed decision. The general populace does not have an understanding of genetics, and therefore cannot make an informed decision. People tend to make decisions about GM foods based on myths; if a food is labeled as genetically modified, most people would "choose" not to eat it based on a visceral reaction mired in ignorance. The evidence points to GM foods not having any ill effects, so labeling is unwarranted and unnecessary. To summarize: a nescient choice is not a choice at all.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 06:36 pm
Stradee wrote:
What are the long term affects on both animal and human health? Nobody knows.

In re: GM foods. The conclusive testing HAS been done...there is ZERO, absolutely ZERO evidence--after years and years of testing-- that they are NOT safe.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 06:51 pm
patiodog, yep, the location correct - the I-80 corridor and about an hour from Tahoe City. I'm not familiar with the lakes you mentioned, not traveling to Sonora area much these days. There's the Auburn Dam at Foresthill, and a private lake just up the road about 14 miles. Folsom Dam pretty awsome, but it's location not in the foothills. Closeby is the American River though.

Hiking can be pretty dangerous near where I live, so I generally stay in areas where I know a bear isn't gonna walk up to me and say "howdy".
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 07:02 pm
There is also the chance of human error in the cloning department. Bad genes will get harvested over and over and we won't know about it until someone comes down with a life threatening disease. Remember the problem with PCBs in cattle feed?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 07:16 pm
oh, if the FDA says it's ok, it must be then. {bighonkineyeroll}
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 07:26 pm
There has not been enough studies on cloned meat to get me to willfully even smell of it cooking.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 07:46 pm
colorbook wrote:
There is also the chance of human error in the cloning department. Bad genes will get harvested over and over and we won't know about it until someone comes down with a life threatening disease. Remember the problem with PCBs in cattle feed?

I fail to see any cohesive logic in your reasoning.
Genetics 101 for you :wink:
Polychlorinated biphenyls has little to do with the health of a clone.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 07:47 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
There has not been enough studies on cloned meat to get me to willfully even smell of it cooking.

what do you think will happen should you partake in a bite of frankensteaks? Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 07:50 pm
I think I don't know - and don't want to be the guinea pig to find out. After a few generations of saps eats it with no bad effect, then, were I alive, I would venture to think it's ok.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 07:51 pm
i don't understand the nervousness about eating clones, if that's your concern. ethical concerns, i get. ecological concerns (gm plants), i get. eating a clone? it's genetically identical to the animal it was cloned from!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 10:24 pm
I actually don't know that I'd care about eating cloned food. GM food is different.
0 Replies