Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 01:59 pm
Chomsky Continues Being an Ass

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20031030/mdf394920.jpg
'Dissident' Chomsky pals around with his favorite dictator

Quote:
HAVANA (Reuters) - U.S. linguist and political dissident Noam Chomsky said on Wednesday that President Bush (news - web sites) will have to "manufacture" another threat to American security to win reelection in 2004 after U.S failure in occupying Iraq (news - web sites).

Chomsky, attending a Latin American social sciences conference in Cuba, said that since the Sept. 11 attacks on the United States, the Bush administration had redefined U.S. national security policy to include the use of force abroad, with or without U.N. approval.

"It is a frightened country and it is easy to conjure up an imminent threat," Chomsky said at the launching of a Cuban edition of a book of interviews published by the Mexican newspaper La Jornada, when asked how Bush could get reelected.

"They have a card that they can play ... terrify the population with some invented threat, and that is not very hard to do," he said.

-more-
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,019 • Replies: 112
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 02:01 pm
I don't know if i am appalled or simply wonderously surprised, but . . .

I agree completely, Chomsky isn't worth the powder to blow him to hell . . .
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 04:20 pm
Oh come on!

I don't always agree with Chomsky, but I greatly respect him. He has an important role as the conscience of the United States.

There are no pictures of Chomsky with Saddam. This should tell you something. There are members of the Bush adminstration who you can't say that about.

It is unamerican to try to stamp out dissent. Shame on you both.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 04:27 pm
Love the cunning linguist, not the pole-lickital animal....
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 04:32 pm
What does calling an Ass, an Ass, have to do with trying to stamp out dissent? He has a perfect right to go to Cuba and make an ass out of himself just as Sean Penn had the same right to go to Iraq and allow himself to be used as an ignorant pawn.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 04:35 pm
Ebrown, i said nothing about dissent, just that i don't consider Chomsky to be worth the powder to blow him to hell. Cav is right, he is a cunnelinguist of deserved repute; he knows about a much about politics and international diplomacy as the spots on my ass. One might reasonably suggest that i ought not to say as much to be a case of stifling dissent.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 04:42 pm
Knowledge
Chomsky knows more about Intl. politics than 99.99% of the people that post on this Forum, incl. myself.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 04:43 pm
He believes that he does, that i don't doubt . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 04:44 pm
My brother is taking a master's in linguistics at UPenn, and loves Chomsky for what he is good at....linguistics. He doesn't care a toss for Chomsky's politics, and quite frankly, nobody else should either.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 04:46 pm
i second setanta's comment
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 04:48 pm
With all due respect, what is so far out about what Chomsky is saying here? I'm not talking now about his career as a political speaker, just this one comment.

The way everyone is piling on here makes me wonder. It's the rare celebrity that has this group (with two exceptions) speaking in one voice!
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 04:50 pm
Just as actors in Hollywood should stick to acting, Chomsky should stick to linguisttttiiiinnngggg
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 04:52 pm
I have to grudgingly admit to agreeing with perception here....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 04:53 pm
Norm Chomsky wrote:
"They have a card that they can play ... terrify the population with some invented threat, and that is not very hard to do," he said.

This statement is an asburdity. I am reminded of the old countryboy's expression: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." I don't for a moment believe that the current administration can pull off this **** twice, and they were only able to accomplish it this time because they wrapped themselves in lies and the flag via a shameless exploitation of September 11th. I don't particularly care for such blanket condemnations of the American public, whether they come from pompous asses of the left, or of the right.

(for the sarcasm challenged: yes, i know his name is not Norm)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 04:57 pm
Apparently Brad Pitt and Jennifer Anniston are going on a personal mission of peace to the Middle East.....I am quite sure they will solve the problems there that centuries of political and military intervention have not....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 04:58 pm
And look damned good while doing it . . .
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 04:58 pm
Your optimism is refreshing, Setanta. Polls showed that Americans believed Saddam was behind 9/11 right up until Bush finally said he wasn't. I'll bet you if the same poll were conducted today, there would still be a majority claiming such a tie. And Bush uses 9/11 to sell everything from tax cuts to weakening environmental policies.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 05:00 pm
Even were that so (such a majority still existent) that is a far cry from a blanket statement that Americans are so easily cozened as Chumpsky has stated. See my remark above about country boys . . .
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 05:05 pm
Cav

Maybe someone could paint large bulleyes on their backs as they have helped to paint on the backs of the troops.
The foreign "freedom Fighters" from surrounding countries love to shoot people in the back, push collaborators off high walls, then chop off fingers,hands and heads.

Ooops----didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 05:05 pm
Setanta,

Chomsky has long been one of the strongest voices of dissent.

Saying that he doesn't know much about politics and international diplomacy is foolish. He has been a prolific speaker and writer respected by intellectuals everywhere. His political ideas have always been backed up with both facts and logic.

Listen to this points made on this post:
- Chomsky is an ass.
- He pals with dictators.
- The spots on Setanta's ass know about politics.

Look, Chomsky's ideas are provocative and they are highly regarded by the intelligent. You can disagree with him, but do so intelligently. Please stop the childish name calling.

It seems to me you all are supporting the idea that people with intelligence should stay out of politics.
0 Replies