males remain oblivious

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 09:50 am
Quote:
We put all other news on hold to bring you this groundbreaking report: Apparently, having an expensive car makes men more attractive to women.

In other automotive news, hurling a bowling ball at your windshield could result in damage.

Seriously, the British Journal of Psychology took the time to conduct a study of what every guy who has ever picked up a date in a Toyota Corolla already knows: Women will find you more attractive with a pricey car.

The study “manipulated status” by showing the same model with identical facial expressions in either a “high status” car (such as a Bentley Continental GT) or a “neutral status” car (such as a Ford Fiesta). Participants then gave each model a rating on a scale of 1 to 10, and female participants rated models in the high-status vehicles as significantly more attractive.

Men, on the other hand, are apparently as shallow as everyone says they are and concerned strictly with physical appearance. The status of the vehicle that the female models were in made absolutely no difference to that woman’s attractiveness rating. When it came to status symbol cars, “Males,” the study said, “unlike females, remain oblivious to such cues.”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 3,761 • Replies: 29
No top replies

mismi

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:01 am
@dyslexia,
apparently women are oblivious as well...

Thank goodness there are a few who look beyond those things Very Happy
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:01 am
Shocked

so my lada is not a chick magnet Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:40 am
@dyslexia,
I didn't know that about a bowling ball possibly damaging a windshield if hurled with enough force. Hmmmm. Live and learn.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:47 am
well, I've thought about this and I realize that if I saw a lady driving a Lotus Super 7, I would definitely find her immensely attractive.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:49 am
@dyslexia,
only if she had her own mechanic...
dyslexia

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:56 am
@Rockhead,
I once fell madly in love with a woman because she drove/owned a Morgan, it was right-hand drive, British racing green in colour.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:59 am
@Rockhead,
on the other hand, the best sex of my life was with a woman who drove a Chevy Citation.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 11:00 am
@dyslexia,
last one I fell for owned a sports car of japanese vintage with a british racing stripe down it. (yes, she was conflicted)

I learned another lesson about women and cars...

(obviously not IN the citation.)
dyslexia

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 11:04 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
(obviously not IN the citation.)
occasionally.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 11:13 am
oh, god, Dys, I pity you--falling in love with someone who owned a MORGAN is a recipe for disaster, unless she planned on driving no farther than the driveway. I once got a ride in onefrom Jackson, Mississippi to NYC, in December, about, as I remember a 16 hour drive. It took us four days, and we only got as far as DC before I bailed and took a bus the rest of the way. No heat, except in the cooling system, which boiled over every ten miles. I don't think he ever got it above 45. I spent Christmas day rolling landslide-fallen rocks off the Blue Ridge Parkway with a park ranger (don't ask), after the idiot ran over one of them and put a hole in the gas tank--you ever tried to find a Morgan gas tank in rural North Carolina on Christmas?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 11:29 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

I once fell madly in love with a woman because she drove/owned a Morgan, it was right-hand drive, British racing green in colour.

So it was a morganatic relationship?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 11:45 am
I once fell in love on first sight with an MG-TD. Then i noticed the two "co-eds" in short cut-offs and tank tops who were washing it. I was really in a Quandry then--a '57 Quandry . . . two tone, pink and black.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 12:16 pm
i once fell in love with a women who drove a VW bug (classic, not new)

she was my 4th grade teacher

missed the bus at least once so i could get a ride home with her

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 12:36 pm
I spent two nights in a VW Bug with my girlfriend at the time at Woodstock--we were probably the driest people there, as well as the most cramped. It was quadracolored--gray body, faded maroon-ish front fenders, light blue engine lid, black license plate light cover. Rakish.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 12:54 pm
@dyslexia,
Oh well, I think everyone knows that I have a thing for a blue-eyed cowboy wearing a Stetson (sometines wears it to bed, along with the boots). What makes it really exciting for me, is seeing him behind the wheel of his "Arrest Me Red" Porsche Carrera, 911.

Got to admit that the very best thing in the world is seeing such cowboy wearing nothin' but his boots and his Stetson. Now that is a sight to hehold...
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 01:00 pm
I used to be quite dashing in my Ford Falcon. It was red with a chrome strip across the the side somewhere.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 01:01 pm
True story:
Once upon a time I was married to a woman whose middle name was Berks. I remember one night while visiting some friends she was explaining to the hostess that the name was for Berks County, PA. Why? Because that's where she had been conceived while her parents were visiting there. The hostess turned to her husband and said, "I guess if that's how you name 'em, our Danny's middle name ought to be Buick."
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 01:32 pm
heehee, didn't see it comin', or them either, for that matter.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 02:40 pm
Don't knock those Toyotas - they may be nuthin' to look at, but they keep on going!